SL/R230: I have been searching high and low to find a replacement for my SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
I have been searching high and low to find a replacement for my SL

I have been searching high and low to find a replacement for my SL. I was very surprise that Mercedes is ahead of the game in most driving/safety technology. The feature that I love best on my SL is the raise car feature. Several times, I had to raise the car so I can enter a drive way. If you could not raise your car, it would take you longer to enter a driveway because of the fear of scraping your front end. I have seen several cars get hit from the rear, because they took to long to enter a drive way from a main street. That is a very big safety feature for me. BMW 650 does not allow you to raise your car. I was a little disappointed with BMW.

I love the keyless entry system and keyless go on my SL and BMW does not have it. Lexus has all the user technology like better navigation and a place to put your purse, but drives badly in my book. I like to go around a corner without bouncing up and down.

Look like I will get another SL and pray it is not another lemon.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 09-16-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
I feel the same as you do.. I have been looking for my next car but always come back the SL. Nothing else compares in looks and features.
The 650ci is nice but I hate soft tops and the interior is very weak in comparison to the SL.
The only car that does it for me is the Bentley GT, and its out of my budget.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
The feature that I love best on my SL is the raise car feature. Several times, I had to raise the car so I can enter a drive way. If you could not raise your car, it would take you longer to enter a driveway because of the fear of scraping your front end. I have seen several cars get hit from the rear, because they took to long to enter a drive way from a main street.
If you are coming off the street with any kind of speed the function that raises the car will not activate.

Also, when you raise the car and gain speed the car will move downward again for better control and safety.

I loved this feature as it allowed me to slow down when coming to a driveway and then activate raising the car.

Sudden turns off the road into a driveway will not activate the feature.

All in all, I would agree there is much to say about the SL and not being able to find a replacement.

I find myself looking for another car and given the fact that I won't buy another Mercedes, the choices become very limited.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
I love my SL600--it's fabulous--and in Mars Red, it constantly turns heads and get complimented, but I continue to be disappointed with the dealer support. I have bought my last MB and will probably find a nice Z8.