SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: "car too low"

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-14-2005, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
"car too low"

Now this was a new one to me. Started my 2006 SL600 after a two week vacation, and got the error message "car too low". Wouldn't let me shift into reverse. I raised the car using the button in the center console, and the message went away, and all was and has been fine since (over a month now), so has anyone else encountered this message, and do you think it simply had to do with the car''s being idle for a couple weeks?
Other Thoughts?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:07 PM

SL55/S55/CLK500
Originally Posted by RadSteve
Now this was a new one to me. Started my 2006 SL600 after a two week vacation, and got the error message "car too low". Wouldn't let me shift into reverse. I raised the car using the button in the center console, and the message went away, and all was and has been fine since (over a month now), so has anyone else encountered this message, and do you think it simply had to do with the car''s being idle for a couple weeks?
Other Thoughts?
Thats strange...never heard of that before, hope someone chimes in that knows whats up
Old 11-14-2005, 06:27 PM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by RadSteve
Other Thoughts?
steve, this happened to me with my SL600 as well - it has happened twice - it occurred both times when i was backing out of my driveway (which has a steep grade), and turning out 90 degrees to the street. Each time, my car was not raised, and this triggered the message- when i raised it, the message went away. I think it's a way of the car protecting itself, so the underside doesn't scrape the road - when i have watched my wife pull out my car, it does get extremely close to the pavement (within a few inches). So for me, the solution is just having the car raised to the first level when i back out. I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:50 PM

'09 E93 335i
I had this problem with my 04 SL500 - as it turned out, there was some sort of hydraulic pressure leak in the ABC system which was causing the left front to drop about an inch after the car sat for a few days. Dealer fixed it under warranty and no problems since. I would tell the dealer about it and let them fix it. It shouldn't drop down like that.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by joec1101
I had this problem with my 04 SL500 - as it turned out, there was some sort of hydraulic pressure leak in the ABC system which was causing the left front to drop about an inch after the car sat for a few days. Dealer fixed it under warranty and no problems since. I would tell the dealer about it and let them fix it. It shouldn't drop down like that.
Thanks for the info, I will report it to the dealer and let them worry about it. So far it hasn't happened again....
Old 11-16-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by vkapoormd
steve, this happened to me with my SL600 as well - it has happened twice - it occurred both times when i was backing out of my driveway (which has a steep grade), and turning out 90 degrees to the street. Each time, my car was not raised, and this triggered the message- when i raised it, the message went away. I think it's a way of the car protecting itself, so the underside doesn't scrape the road - when i have watched my wife pull out my car, it does get extremely close to the pavement (within a few inches). So for me, the solution is just having the car raised to the first level when i back out. I wouldn't worry too much.
I hadn't even moved from the garage, and message came up right upon start-up. Relatively flat. I do wish I had had the foresight to get a level to try to figure out where the low point was...might have helped ID any leak. I will do that if it recurs, and let the dealer know about at service time...coming up soon, been driving alot! Glad you like you RENNtech upgrade!
Steve
Old 11-16-2005, 01:50 PM
uk1
Almost a Member!

04 SL500
It happens to me all the time.

It's when you haven't used the car for a while (in my case sometimes 6 weeks - I apologise!) and there is normally a battery warning message as well. As soon as you start it heaves itself up.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:07 PM

'09 E93 335i
Originally Posted by uk1
It happens to me all the time.

It's when you haven't used the car for a while (in my case sometimes 6 weeks - I apologise!) and there is normally a battery warning message as well. As soon as you start it heaves itself up.
I have heard reports of this happening if the vehicle sits for several weeks without being started, and I presume in that case it's probably normal. However, it should not happen after only a few days or less of sitting.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:47 PM

car too low

yes, there is nothing wrong with the car ... if the car sits for a while the warning lite will flash.. just raise it and that's it...it always happens with my car...every spring after the car is stored for the winter i see this message when i start the car...
vijay
Old 11-17-2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mdvijay
yes, there is nothing wrong with the car ... if the car sits for a while the warning lite will flash.. just raise it and that's it...it always happens with my car...every spring after the car is stored for the winter i see this message when i start the car...
vijay
Thanks for the reassurance...the lack of repetition of the problem suggests you are 100% correct. It was just under 3 weeks untouched the only time it happened.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:24 PM
uk1
Almost a Member!

04 SL500
In my case, after having let the car sit for a few weeks it says "Electrics Offline" or something, and the car is low. This I think is for the rear battery. I start up fine and then as I put it into gear the car lifts itself up. Then, until I take the car for a run no accessories work ie roof, aircon, comand etc and then after a few miles it all stprings back to life.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Mine lowers itself if I let it sit for a week or two... looks pretty darn cool when its slammed..
Old 12-30-2005, 04:36 PM

Just a little follow-up...since then, the ABC Visit Workshop error message has come up several times, and when I did "visit workshop" a leak was found in the system at the front left wheel. This fixed, no further problems. Coolant leak also found at the radiator hose which explained the on and off low coolant warning message. Small joys.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:15 AM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
Originally Posted by uk1
In my case, after having let the car sit for a few weeks it says "Electrics Offline" or something, and the car is low. This I think is for the rear battery. I start up fine and then as I put it into gear the car lifts itself up. Then, until I take the car for a run no accessories work ie roof, aircon, comand etc and then after a few miles it all stprings back to life.
We have dealt with this problem in the thread " Service battery life". These problems are caused by lack of power. Battery goes flat. Battery will only accept a limited numbers of totally discharge, then give up spirit.

May i surgest that all of you, who are not driving your car frequently, do buy a 3 or 4 stage/step charger, and connect it to the battery, while the car is in the garage. This will save you a lot of throuble, and a new battery.

NEVER USE A ORDINARY BATTERY CHARGER AS IT WILL RUIN THE BATTERY IF LEFT CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY FOR LONGER PERIODS.

In the US a suitebul charger can be purschased at : http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2
In the GB it is Model 9640 at : www.cpc.co.uk. ( provided by BlueSL )

Good luck.

Last edited by SLcharger; 12-31-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:53 AM
uk1
Almost a Member!

04 SL500
Originally Posted by SLcharger
We have dealt with this problem in the thread " Service battery life". These problems are caused by lack of power. Battery goes flat. Battery will only accept a limited numbers of totally discharge, then give up spirit.
Thanks - yes - my previous post you highlighted was 17th November before the other thread.

As I said in the other thread the charge I'm using is the CTEK™ MULTI XS 3600 Charger & Conditioner (more details http://www.vertar.com/prodtype.asp?pt_id=112) - at the moment it appears to have done the trick.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
My buddy had a problem with his keyless go not working because the service battery was drained. I told him to at least drive his car one day a week for at least 12 miles or more.

Now that he does it, he does not get hard spots on his tires and the service battery has not been drained since he took my advice.

Just remember that a car dies of a terriable death if you do not drive it.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:13 AM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
My buddy had a problem with his keyless go not working because the service battery was drained. I told him to at least drive his car one day a week for at least 12 miles or more.

Now that he does it, he does not get hard spots on his tires and the service battery has not been drained since he took my advice.

Just remember that a car dies of a terriable death if you do not drive it.

Thats the way to do it, drive the car thats what it is build for.