SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL55 brake upgrade.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
SL55 brake upgrade.

Guys I bought a set of SL55 brakes to put on my CL, but they do not fit. They are 4 AMG rotors, 8 piston calipers and 4 piston rears, pads, etc. Does anyone know if they will fit an SL500? I think they should because the parts guy at MB told me they are the same #'s.

IF someone can let me know that would be great. I am selling the whole set. They are powder coated red if anyone is interested let me know too.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
That lot must have cost a fortune. The braking systems between the SL and CL are are completely different and the brakes in an SL55 are different from those in an SL500. What possessed you to do it??

The problem with messing with the SLs braking system is that it is not conventional, is driven by software and fitting this lot to an SL500 - even if it did fit mechanically - might not lead to proper braking operation. And show me a mechanic who will do it and accept liability for your brakes failing as you run out of road in the wet...
Old 12-03-2005, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
I talked to a few MB mechanics and parts guys, and they said it should work fine actually. They checked cylinder parts and pressures, etc... It was basically a bolt-on. You'd be surprised... its in AMG's interest to keep the parts changes to a minumum. The MB dealer was very close to doing it for me believe it or not. I am 99% sure this setup will fit an SL.

What posessed me to do it? a "guarantee" from the seller on this forum that it would work. But my car needs to be an '03+.

I got a good deal, so I am not that worried about it but I hope it fits someone's car otherwise I am sitting on a pile of parts.