SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: When using Keyless Go, Engine cuts off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy When using Keyless Go, Engine cuts off

Has anyone have this happen to them. When using my Keyless Go the other day (I have an '03 SL500 with the credit card-sized thing) the engine started as usual, then.....after about 3 to 4 seconds, the engine just stops! This happened 4 or 5 times. Sometimes, the display would read "display not functioning properly....have serviced"....... but nothing would be "saved" in the "malfunction" thing.....it would always read "no malfunctions".

When using the Key, everything was fine........no engine cut-off.

Also, when I went back an hour later to try the Keyless Go again,
it worked fine.

Is this just a typical '03 SL500 electrical "glitch", that may or may not
happen again?

Jeff
'03 SL500
'95 F355
Old 12-19-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by azferrari
Has anyone have this happen to them. When using my Keyless Go the other day (I have an '03 SL500 with the credit card-sized thing) the engine started as usual, then.....after about 3 to 4 seconds, the engine just stops! This happened 4 or 5 times. Sometimes, the display would read "display not functioning properly....have serviced"....... but nothing would be "saved" in the "malfunction" thing.....it would always read "no malfunctions".

When using the Key, everything was fine........no engine cut-off.

Also, when I went back an hour later to try the Keyless Go again,
it worked fine.

Is this just a typical '03 SL500 electrical "glitch", that may or may not
happen again?

Jeff
'03 SL500
'95 F355
I've neer had this problem on either of my cars. There have been times when my car wouldn't start when I had the key in the car and tried to start it keylessly. The delaer had my car for a week trying to get it fixed.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:35 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by WIldcat465
I've neer had this problem on either of my cars. There have been times when my car wouldn't start when I had the key in the car and tried to start it keylessly. The delaer had my car for a week trying to get it fixed.
If the key is in the ignition, keyless go won't start the car; you have to (gasp) turn the key.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by RadSteve
If the key is in the ignition, keyless go won't start the car; you have to (gasp) turn the key.
I know. The key was in the car and not in the ignition. I don't know what the problem was.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Almost a Member!

'97 W202 C180 aut. Elegance Former : '99 W202 S500 w. keyless go, carlsson lowering kit.
i think its the same problem ive been having.

Its the "Gear-change-console" which, btw also is present in cars w/o key-less go, that has short circuited/malfunctioned/DIED ! hehe

Either way, the symptoms are the same as mine.. cept my doesnt react at all to the "start/stop" button being pushed.. it did once tho.. the engine just died after a couple of secs.

But locking/unlocking still works..

Overhere it costs about 800-900 $ + labour.

Hope this is of any help.

//Nick
Old 03-22-2015, 04:17 PM

cl55 AMG
Though I have a CL55 the problem with my keyless go start stop button was a dirty contact in the button. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and all has been good since.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
A few times I've had occasion where I hit the button and the car is cranking but, stops cranking before the engine fires. On this rare occasion I'm not holding enough pressure on the brake pedal, release pressure on the pedal while it's cranking or, remove my foot to soon when I anticipate the engine will fire and the starter just stops cranking. Press the brake pedal again, hit the button and she fires right up. First time I did this I thought something might be wrong but over time I've realized it's operator error

Never gives any messages though.