SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
How do you get all these miles out of the tires ? Is your mother driving.

I get a max of 15K out of mine, and they have an EVEN wear.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
If you said that to members in the Memphis Mercedes club, they would be dying because they are laughing too hard. According to them, I drive like a bat out of hell.

I do not spin my tires like the AMG drivers in our auto-cross. Even though, I always get a better time than them.

I put about 19,000 miles on my SL the first year. We drove to Nashville and Atlanta several times. We even drove to Raleigh, and Charlotte, NC. On our trips, we stop at every rest area.

I also check and make sure the tires have at least 3 PSI above recommended every week. I drive between 80 to 100 MPH on the Interstate. I even got 34K out of my z rated tires on my SLK 320. I get my alignment check 2 times a year and get my tires balanced at least twice a year.

Maybe I live in an ideal environment for Z-rated tires. But I would be asking why am I not getting at least 30K out of my tires?

Last edited by tiggerfink; 12-29-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:29 PM

You do a lot to maintain optimum conditions for your tires. That might be a partly reason you get those high numbers, but as you indicate yourself, driving style has a lot to do with it.

I in general drive fast and freshly. I also do some high speed driving, everytime i get the chance to take my ride to the German Autobahn, where speed can excess 180 mph ( delimited ). When you pass 160 mph, that when the rush commes, and the adrennelin starts pumping.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Driving style, environment, and the material in the roads have a lot to do with tire ware. Some of the AMG drivers in our Mercedes club always complained about how short their tires last. If you saw the way they drive, you will shake your head to.

Two years ago at our annual autocross, several Mercedes had a lot of smoke coming out of their wheels. There rotors were steaming red hot and their tires were two hot to touch. My wife did not understand why our Chevy Monte Carlo rental was not smoking like the other cars. The Chevy Monte Carlo with a big 4-cylinder had the 3rd best time in the auto-cross. I replied back to my wife by saying they just do not know how to drive fast.

I even gave those guys a hint by saying when I get to go to the driving school, I will be able to drive the auto-cross without using my brakes. Did those AMG guys take my hint? NO!!! It just breaks my heart when I see those beautiful AMGs driven so poorly in the Auto-cross.

By the way, I wish I can drive at high speeds like on the Autobahn. In my area, the police will throw you in jail for going 15 miles over the speed limit. The fastest speed limit we have in my area is 70MPH on the Interstate.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 12-30-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:12 PM

Please explain to me what autocross is. I see a dirttrack, but that can´t possible be it.

Yes speedlimits are troublesome. In Denmark speedlimits are as follows

City 30 MPH
Interstate 50 MPH
Autobahn 80 MPH

If these limits are exeeded by more than 40% you get a Warning and a ticket. If you get more than 3 warnings within 3 years, or you drive faster than 70% once, the police just take away your drivers license, After 1 Year you can aquire it again, after passing a new drivers test.

That is why it is so nice to drive those 25 miles and cross the German border, and just let the engine streach legs, feel and enjoy the speed, smoke a Porsche or two, and let the adrenelin rush. As long as you dont cause any trouble, the German police dont mind, but dare you brake the rules, oh oh.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:31 PM
ON PROBATION

Autocross: a course set up with safety cones on a tarmac (asphalt) or concrete surface, usually a parking lot, airfield, or other paved area. Much smaller, shorter, and tighter than a road racing course. Competition is by class. Scoring is shortest time through the coned course, with time penalties for hitting cones, etc.
How'd I do, guys?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Very well!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocross

Old 12-29-2005, 07:33 PM
ON PROBATION

Well, there you have it then! Maybe I'm not such a dumba$$ after all!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by SLcharger
Please explain to me what autocross is. I see a dirttrack, but that can´t possible be it.

Yes speedlimits are troublesome. In Denmark speedlimits are as follows

City 30 MPH
Interstate 50 MPH
Autobahn 80 MPH

If these limits are exeeded by more than 40% you get a Warning and a ticket. If you get more than 3 warnings within 3 years, or you drive faster than 70% once, the police just take away your drivers license, After 1 Year you can aquire it again, after passing a new drivers test.

That is why it is so nice to drive those 25 miles and cross the German border, and just let the engine streach legs, feel and enjoy the speed, smoke a Porsche or two, and let the adrenelin rush. As long as you dont cause any trouble, the German police dont mind, but dare you brake the rules, oh oh.
Our autocross is done on an old airport runway. On one section you can get up to some fast speeds. Take a look at the link. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=autocross
Old 12-30-2005, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the info, and the links

We have something similar to autocross here, just call it otherwise. :p

I do agree with you, tiggerfink, that this is about driving fast, but at the same time, as smooth as possible, without hard acc. and hard braking.

I must admit, that i do envee you Americans. You have a lot more of those motorsports related events than we have over here. I am in general wery addicted to American motorsport, because you do the things with a lot of enthusiasm, and take everything to the limit.

My favoriets are Dragracing, SuperStock tractorpulling, Nascar, Mudracing.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:54 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Originally Posted by SLcharger
Thanks for the info, and the links

We have something similar to autocross here, just call it otherwise. :p

I do agree with you, tiggerfink, that this is about driving fast, but at the same time, as smooth as possible, without hard acc. and hard braking.

I must admit, that i do envee you Americans. You have a lot more of those motorsports related events than we have over here. I am in general wery addicted to American motorsport, because you do the things with a lot of enthusiasm, and take everything to the limit.

My favoriets are Dragracing, Superd Stock tractorpulling, Nascar, Mudracing.
Thanks for being open minded about American sports.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by DBERRY7578
Thanks for being open minded about American sports.
My pleasure.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:02 PM

04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
I just replaced my rear tires. Michellin Pilot Sports Z-rated tires 275R20's... I got 12K out of them. I hadn't noticed they were balding in the center until one day I thought I had ran over poop and it's stuck on my tires... I looked and it was the fabric from the tire innards... aye! I had uneven wear of the center and the inside more than the outsides. The fronts are still fine. My customiser said they cambered the rears to give it a bit more handling and because of the rear drive, the power, the rears will wear out faster. His clients with SL and E 55's typically need tires replaced between 6K to 10K. My 12K was considered pretty good. He is getting me some new Michellin's, not the PS series but something else, supposed to be a bit more durable... we'll see
Old 02-12-2006, 03:01 AM

04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
Got my new rears on... He kept the old ones for me to take pictures of... aye! He said the rears on the SL's are cambered -1-2 degrees. My tires were inflated to around 30-32 psi. I have the SL500 with the regular V8. I don't drive it very hard. But apparently, I am causing ripples in my brake rotors as well... he said I drive it hard... I don't think so...
BUt check out the tire wear, I am surprised I didn't blow it or spin out... This was at around 12K miles on them... Michellin PSport Z rated 275R20's...
Attached Thumbnails Tire Wear-dsc00456.jpg   Tire Wear-dsc00457.jpg   Tire Wear-dsc00458.jpg