Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 02:19 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
Thumbs down HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on offset for one piece rims

Like an idiot I replaced my 18's on my 2005 SL500 for some 20inch ALT miro 243's....which run 8.5 (38mm offset) in the front and 9.5 (40mm offset in the rear) The shop put 15 mm spacers on the rear to make it sit flush with the fender and left the front on without spacers since they wouldnt fit over the axle caps.....the front is a little too far in while the back is pretty flush....making the car handle like crap (or something else is screwing up the handling)...the shop wants to drill out the front wheels and position a spacer inside the rim perfecting the offset....this is a nightmare and now I know why people pay for good money for rims like brabus, lorinser etc.

Am I capable of making these rims fit the way they want to go about this or is this a lost cause involving a great car with sh*t rims....

I can't sleep over this mistake....never trust a cutom shop unless you've heard by word of mouth.

Last edited by CY; 12-31-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:01 AM

2005 SL600 Designo, Graphite Gray, Panorama Roof
I think you'll have to replace the wheels. As one piece wheels, there's no way to replace the centers with proper offsets.

If its any consolation, I have a perfectly good set of 18 inchers off my 05 SL600 for sale. I'd let em go for $1200.

When I get back to work Tuesday, I'll post the proper offsets for 20 inch wheels. I'm in the process of doing this for my SL600 as we speak.

Also, I have a good friend at Zone Wheels who'd probably cut you a decent deal on a proper set of 20's.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:52 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Well, they will be drilling out the center of the rim and changing the offset....not replacing the middle piece but retro fitting a spacer into it....so I am told????

Also when I break...at the very last minute before I stop....it jerks to a halt....could this be the bolt hitting in the front due to the gravity pushing down the front of the car? It just clenches to a halt right before a smooth stop at like 2 mph..????