SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: interior lighting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erichen
Spanky,
I am getting the 04' command head unit sent to FL for some guy (through my customs shop) to "tweak" or upgrade the screen to video capable. He called me today to make sure I have no satellite or SOS hooked up because they are going to use that "SAT" button for the video. The Video feed will come from a separate DVD/MP3 player (multi disc I hope) that will be fitted into the passenger side behind the seat compartment (opposite the stock 6 CD changer). He said there is space in there for this modification. Will have auxillary input for IPODS and other carry on items. Too bad that darn screen is so small but I didn't want to shell out another $2500 for a new head unit, not to mention new center console trim... I have no idea where in FL the unit got sent. I just know it got sent via FedEX last week. and it should be back by the end of the week. Other than that, it's got the Reus sytem hook up with subs and amps and satellite spkrs.
Sounds like a very involved project! Did he tell you how you will be controlling the new seperate DVD/mp3 player/changer ? Personally I am happy with the stock system and the only thing that I want (badly!) is to be able to play DVD with mp3's.

I am really curious to see how he is doing to your car. I might copy that if it will give me what I want with a nicely integrated controler/display unit.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Looks much better.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:19 AM

04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
Due to the fact that it's an 04' system, I have to add the external DVD player. They will try to integrate it to the "SAT" button on the head unit. Don't know if it will use the Head unit's controls but I assume there will be a separate remote unit for the DVD player. I'll post more specs and pics when I get the darn thing back in a week... hopefully... still waiting on the AMG rear brakes. Need brackets to fit the SL500... They are stuck in Germany.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by erichen
Due to the fact that it's an 04' system, I have to add the external DVD player. They will try to integrate it to the "SAT" button on the head unit. Don't know if it will use the Head unit's controls but I assume there will be a separate remote unit for the DVD player. I'll post more specs and pics when I get the darn thing back in a week... hopefully... still waiting on the AMG rear brakes. Need brackets to fit the SL500... They are stuck in Germany.
That's what I'm thinking. I did a bit of research a while back and found that no company out there makes a DVD Changer controler with RCA output. The only controler that I was able to find were fm modulated ones. I am really interested in finding out what brand your installer is using.

Good luck your project!