SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Sl600 V12 Bi Turbo Chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
Originally Posted by otoupalik
LOL. It is not the same mods - you have more mods and different octane. Powerchip would give you the same on a 98 octane map.

Apples to Oranges.

Also a different type of dyno - which is totally not accurate to compare.

I am all for good data, but let's be fair and even handed!

Thanks
Brad
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
on the 91 octane map the car made 875lb/ft.
The car actually made MORE power on Evolution Motorsports' Dynojet. I'll see if I can can find the chart. When it was a 91 octane map, the car ran 11.5.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by RENNtech-er
RennTechV12: What's the "98 octane fuel map" about, and what to you put in the gas tank? Do you juice pump gas with an octane booster? Your list of mods does not show the RENNtech airbox. At $6K for ~14 HP it would seem to be the lowest bang-for-the-buck RENNTech mod. Does look nice, though. How does the car sound with the Eisenmann exhaust? Does that come in after the stock cats, or are there other mods to the exhaust system on your car? I just got an '04 SL600 (haven't seen or driven it yet; I take delivery Monday). Given my past experience with RENNtech magic I am looking forward to having them mod this car so I will have an "All RENNtech" garage. Thanx for any comments.
I use 100 octane racing fuel. They have it at the pump at a local station here. The exhuast is simply a cat back system that sounds like an exotic. I don't have the airbox.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600 Designo, Graphite Gray, Panorama Roof
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
I use 100 octane racing fuel. They have it at the pump at a local station here. The exhuast is simply a cat back system that sounds like an exotic. I don't have the airbox.
Wow...this is getting convoluted.

As an automotive journalist, let me suggest the following:

To be truly scientific, you need to take one car, dyno it stock, then do the Powerchip mod on 91 octane (which is what we get here in Calif) and then do the Renntech mod on the same car, equalizing temperature between runs (Brad of course knows this, as do most of you other tuner guys). Same dyno, same location, same car.

Then, publish the dyno results and the retail prices of both.

Both Powerchip and Renntech should eagerly offer up an off-the-shelf unit for comparison testing. If not, so long as they both agree to gimme my money back if they come out on the low end of the stick, I'll pony up.

It would also be nice to get a paragraph from Powerchip and Renntech on the "other" advantages of their ECU mod (i.e. maintains factory warranty, tuned as far as possible without affecting reliability, etc.)

I see posts like this on other baords all day long. Apple-to-Orange comparos are a disservice to those considering spending their cold hard cash on such a mod.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by craiglieberman

To be truly scientific, you need to take one car, dyno it stock, then do the Powerchip mod on 91 octane (which is what we get here in Calif) and then do the Renntech mod on the same car, equalizing temperature between runs (Brad of course knows this, as do most of you other tuner guys). Same dyno, same location, same car.

Both Powerchip and Renntech should eagerly offer up an off-the-shelf unit for comparison testing. If not, so long as they both agree to gimme my money back if they come out on the low end of the stick, I'll pony up.

It would also be nice to get a paragraph from Powerchip and Renntech on the "other" advantages of their ECU mod (i.e. maintains factory warranty, tuned as far as possible without affecting reliability, etc.)

I see posts like this on other baords all day long. Apple-to-Orange comparos are a disservice to those considering spending their cold hard cash on such a mod.
All I can give you is the data I have for my car, I can't speak for anyone else's. With that being said, I figured I would add my 2 cents because the OP asked about SL600 mods and I have them. I stand by my decision to upgrade with RENNTech, because to this point I have yet to see any other 600s that have made more power or have run faster.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!

YEP!

I will do the Powerchip and we have a dyno. I can serial program Mercedes with Powerchip, so we can do it here in the shop. We also have the factory diagnostic tools to monitor ingine paramaters and the dyno will give us Air/Fuel ratios.

Thanks
Brad
Old 03-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
YEP!

I will do the Powerchip and we have a dyno. I can serial program Mercedes with Powerchip, so we can do it here in the shop. We also have the factory diagnostic tools to monitor ingine paramaters and the dyno will give us Air/Fuel ratios.

Thanks
Brad
Take lots of pictures please!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:30 PM

2005 SL600 Designo, Graphite Gray, Panorama Roof
YEP!

Thanks
Brad
Let me the be the first to volunteer my SL ;-)
Old 03-30-2006, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Let me the be the first to volunteer my SL ;-)
So who is going to volunteer the Renntech software?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Almost a Member!

2009 SL 550
I will volunteer my SL 500
Old 03-31-2006, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88 Caddy on 28's
Originally Posted by mveloz
I will volunteer my SL 500
It has to be a 600...
Old 08-17-2006, 07:10 AM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
So has anyone tried Speedtuning chip on the Sl600??
Old 09-15-2006, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
i have had oliver at speedtuning both of my cars for several years with no problems. he just did a upgrade to both cars, 03 55's. one had been just flashed at the dealer. both still are running great. he has recently done several e55's and a s65 locally. i would reccommend you contact him on the phone about the sl600. he has programs for any car gas or desiel.

Last edited by theboogers; 09-15-2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by theboogers
i have had oliver at speedtuning both of my cars for several years with no problems. he just did a upgrade to both cars, 03 55's. one had been just flashed at the dealer. both still are running great. he has recently done several e55's and a s65 locally. i would reccommend you contact him on the phone about the sl600. he has programs for any car gas or desiel.
Got any dyno graphs?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:41 AM

New guy here. Just bought a 2003 cl600 and I'm considering mod options. Trying to discern whether the extra $3500 for Renntech over a Powerchip is really worth it, so I thought I'd revive this thread.

Any thoughts since September?

Thanks in advance.

M