SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 500SL NEWBIE - Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500SL NEWBIE - Help?

For the last two years I've been driving a CLK430. What a gigantic piece of crap. I've had to replace the AMG front spoiler twice. It was designed too low and I can't tell you how many I've seen in the Los Angeles area with the exact same cracks and breaks. I've also had to replace or repair several of the aluminum rims which tend to bend any time you drive over a modest size pot hole. In any case, on to bigger and better. I happened upon a 2003 500SL this week-end with 14,000 miles on it. Someone traded it in at a Dodge dealership and they had no idea what to do with it. I ran the VIN, inspected the car (still under warranty too), etc., everything checked out, and the price was way too good. I bought it. Here is the problem: The dealership didn't have the orginal info on the car, and I am trying to figure some things out. I believe the color of the car is called Tactite Gray with a black (nappa?) leather interior. I've read posts that say this exterior was a discontinued color. Was this color a more expensive option? The car seems to have many of the extras, keyless go, panoramic roof, AMG rims, burlwood steering wheel, Parktronic, mulit-cd changer, etc. Is there an easy way to tell if this car was purchased with some sort of sports package? Finally does anyone have an opinion about whether or not to purchase an extended warranty for this car? I've read some bad things about the 2003's on here and I'm thinking better safe than sorry.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
The AMG sports package will have a good sized lip on the front bumper and have very mild differences on the side skirts and rear...I would bet it has the AMG package if you have AMG rims, but they could possibly be an upgrade to a non-sport car...I know thw 05 Sport Package cars have shifter behind the steering wheel, but am not sure about the 03's. Its a nice color IMO, but has been discontinued for graphite I think. I've seen a 03 SL55 in that color as well.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
It sounds like you bought a Designo Edition car...I believe that gray was only part of the Designo package.

I too have heard horror stories of 03's; they just seem to have more issues....better safe than sorry!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by vantage78
It sounds like you bought a Designo Edition car...I believe that gray was only part of the Designo package.

I too have heard horror stories of 03's; they just seem to have more issues....better safe than sorry!
Tectite Gray was available on SLs during the 03 model year as a standard color. It was dropped in 04, and designo Graphite became available (for several thousand additional $$$).

The two colors look alike to me, the designo being a bit deeper.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 500
what are the things to look out for on the '03?

So far three months in and just loving this car!!

I did get the extended warranty to be safe, but I wasn't aware of that there are potential horrors on '03's, so please let me know what to keep an eye on.