SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Change of Heart

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl 500
Change of Heart

Originally I had intended to purchase the new SL 500 Model for the year 2003.

However, after some careful thought I have decided to change my mind.

The car is an extremely expensive toy in a very uncertain economic climate. The cost of this car after options, taxes, and other premiums places it well above $100K.

Given the coming months of mounting layoffs and the bad economic ripples they create, I have decided that it would not be prudent at this time for such a flamboyant and excessive expense.

I am pretty happy with my current ride, a yr 2000 CL500, and don't know what more I will gain with the SL.

Anyway, just my thoughts. ( I am a bit conservative and like to have a little cash stashed away. I sleep better at night!)
Old 12-15-2001, 12:00 PM

Given the number of layoffs which have been doled out over the past 2 years I'm a little surprised I don't hear and see more about the impact on people's lives. I know I live in a somewhat insulated world since virtually all my friends are in professions relatively unaffected in this regard, but the sheer number of layoffs and the amount of lost wealth has been dramatic.
I presume there's a layer of wealth wherein individuals are almost unaffected by these types of economic fluctuations, but then I'm also guessing that the majority of posters and readers here aren't over 60 y/o and/or retired, with >$10 million nest eggs already sealed in place.

**When did MB start taking orders on the new SL's?

**What's the typical 'dropout rate', anyone know?
Old 12-15-2001, 09:38 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I had a scary October when my company was forced to lay off 10% of its workforce. I was pretty sure I wasn't part of that, but then again you never know. It all built-up to a very scary Friday, which I survived. My new C230 is partially a present for having survived that. ;-)

Company is now doing pretty good and recovering nicely.

Rick
Old 12-26-2001, 11:29 PM

ML 500 Sport
I don't know anyone who hasn't been affected...from laborers I know to some of my billionaire clients.

If I owned a CL I would think twice too.

This car is an extravagance and should be appreciated as such. But you know life goes on and I plan on participating to the fullest. And will do my best to support the great engineers and tradespeople who have labored to create such a extraordinary machine that so elegantly combines engineering, safety and performance. I will consider myself very fortunate to drive such an automobile...even if it is just around the block!
Old 12-27-2001, 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stick with what you have. I mean a CL500 is not a pretty bad car. Plus you'll still have some cash to stash away!