SL/R230: People that have tinted windows...HELP please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
People that have tinted windows...HELP please

Question regarding the tints...are there any areas that are not covered with film...basically im asking if the tint job was perfect...leaving no small / tiny areas of any of the windows uncovered by the film due to mis-cutting etc

...I ask this because i just got my Lexus ES300 tinted Yesterday (thursday) and

1. there are a couple tiny bubbles coming up on two windows

2. I realized that on both quarter windows (the small triangular ones for rear passangers)...along the vertical side edge from top to bottom there is an area the thickness of a finger nail that is not covered by the film (im assuming due to mis-cut)

3.the area with all those small black dots at the top of the back windshield seems to not been FULLY pressed against the window because some areas are as dark as the rest of the back window but others are a little ligther (i used my finger and pressed up against the inside of the window and it did get darker but not to the same level as the rest of the window so im guessing they'd know how to fulllly air it out or something)

...I just wanted to know what your thoughts are on each of the 3 issues im seeing...should i take it back to the tint shop and have them press out the bubbles and fully press the dotted area on the back windshield and re-film the 2 triangular windows or should i wait the 3 days during which they said to keep all the windows closed....I've never had my cars tinted before so I'm not sure of what is typical and what isnt...please leave me suggestions or anything that may help me
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
I'm not sure about your specific questions, but when I did my tint a few years ago I found a wealth of information at tintdude.

The general section has over 133,000 posts.

Good luck.

Paul
Old 04-17-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600 Designo, Graphite Gray, Panorama Roof
Originally Posted by blazinginder
Question regarding the tints...are there any areas that are not covered with film...basically im asking if the tint job was perfect...leaving no small / tiny areas of any of the windows uncovered by the film due to mis-cutting etc

...I ask this because i just got my Lexus ES300 tinted Yesterday (thursday) and

1. there are a couple tiny bubbles coming up on two windows

2. I realized that on both quarter windows (the small triangular ones for rear passangers)...along the vertical side edge from top to bottom there is an area the thickness of a finger nail that is not covered by the film (im assuming due to mis-cut)

3.the area with all those small black dots at the top of the back windshield seems to not been FULLY pressed against the window because some areas are as dark as the rest of the back window but others are a little ligther (i used my finger and pressed up against the inside of the window and it did get darker but not to the same level as the rest of the window so im guessing they'd know how to fulllly air it out or something)

...I just wanted to know what your thoughts are on each of the 3 issues im seeing...should i take it back to the tint shop and have them press out the bubbles and fully press the dotted area on the back windshield and re-film the 2 triangular windows or should i wait the 3 days during which they said to keep all the windows closed....I've never had my cars tinted before so I'm not sure of what is typical and what isnt...please leave me suggestions or anything that may help me

Wow...can;'t believe there's so many tint threads...let me help:

1) Tint should cover the entire window surface. If you can see light around the edges, your tint guy sucks.

2) Bubble dots on windshield/rear glass: The tint will never lay 100% flat on ths bumpy surface. It'll always be a bit ripply here...nothing you can do. These bubble dots exist on many luxury cars for 1 of 2 reasons: to cover interior trim panels that hang low; to provide a tint strip.

3) Bubbles in the tint anywhere else: If you see bubbles, even after three days of "drying," go back to the tint place and have them re do the window. They screwed up.

4) Mercedes door windows are tricky. This is because if the door is open, the window is not fully raised to the top...it is actually down 1/2 inch. If your tinter cuts the tint based on a measurement of the door window taken while the door is open, there will be a gap in the tint at the bottom of the door window. A total rookie mistake.

5) Is it legal? The laws vary in most states. In California, you CANNOT HAVE ANY TINT on the front door windows. Nothing. Not light. Not super light. NOTHING.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by craiglieberman
Wow...can;'t believe there's so many tint threads...let me help:

1) Tint should cover the entire window surface. If you can see light around the edges, your tint guy sucks.

2) Bubble dots on windshield/rear glass: The tint will never lay 100% flat on ths bumpy surface. It'll always be a bit ripply here...nothing you can do. These bubble dots exist on many luxury cars for 1 of 2 reasons: to cover interior trim panels that hang low; to provide a tint strip.

3) Bubbles in the tint anywhere else: If you see bubbles, even after three days of "drying," go back to the tint place and have them re do the window. They screwed up.

4) Mercedes door windows are tricky. This is because if the door is open, the window is not fully raised to the top...it is actually down 1/2 inch. If your tinter cuts the tint based on a measurement of the door window taken while the door is open, there will be a gap in the tint at the bottom of the door window. A total rookie mistake.

5) Is it legal? The laws vary in most states. In California, you CANNOT HAVE ANY TINT on the front door windows. Nothing. Not light. Not super light. NOTHING.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help...i actually have quite a few small bubbles showing up on my front passanger side window and i believe one of the rear side windows also...basically im taking the car in on saturday and am going to force them if necessary, to redo all windows that werent properly cut..and / or windows with bubbles that they cant get out...the dotted (or matrix) area at the top of the rear windshield is covered with film i think there is air b/w the dots that they just need to get out completely...other than that, im a happy customer haha...

Heres a pic of it...to people on the outside it looks fine...but i care how it looks to me haha
Attached Thumbnails People that have tinted windows...HELP please-lexus-tinted.jpg  

Last edited by blazinginder; 04-18-2006 at 06:53 PM.