SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Certified Pre-Owned Rant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
Certified Pre-Owned Rant

I'm really, really disappointed by the joke that the dealer who sold me my 2005 SL600 (with only 3800 miles on it) called Mercedes Certified Pre Owned. That means it SUPPOSEDLY had a 100+ point inspection between the time they got it in and the time it was put on the lot for sale. Immediately after purchasing it, I had to bring it back to service twice for:

1. Brakes squealing like a terrorized pig. All 4 pads & rotors were glazed when they sold it to me. Service had to turn all 4 rotors, replace the front pads, and "deglaze" the rear pads.

2. The SBC recall had not been performed. Come on! They didn't even check for campaigns during the certification inspection!

3. The steering pulled noticeably to the right. Service installed the left front camber adjusting bolt fix and did a 4 wheel alignment. The car's steering now feels much better, like it should have felt in the first place.

I brought this up to my service advisor yesterday. His response was that they have to go through those cars really fast bacause they are so backed up in that department. That's disgraceful!! Then they brag that they will do $600 million in business this year out of just one location.

Anyway, many thanks to the membes of this board. If it hadn't been for you, I would never have known about the camber adjusting bolt fix.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Dealerships

Unfortunately some dealerships are reliable and some are not. Sounds to me as though the dealership that you are dealing with is one that is not. My local dealership is rated by Mercedes as one of the worst in the country. I take a ride to Jacksonville about 150 miles to get competent service. You can't fight with idiots, they will bring you down to their level.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bentley Arnage Red Label
I think the "starmark" certified cars is just a clever marketing way to make people think that buying from an authorized dealer will get you that much better of a car. I have had them and in the future, all I am concerned with on any used car is how it checks out and how much warranty is left. I would much rather buy a used car from an original owner that I trust over a dealer that brings in a car from the auction and magically the next day its "starmarked" and was a one owner local trade! The warranty is what really saves you.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:21 PM

2002 SL500
Where Do You Find Ratings?

Originally Posted by StephenK
My local dealership is rated by Mercedes as one of the worst in the country.
Where did you get the rating of your dealer? Was this on the Mercedes web site?

Thanks, Will
Old 06-23-2006, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
My dealer in Memphis is at the bottom to. That is why I have to drive 450 miles round trip to Nashville to get my cars fix right.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:09 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
was it FJ in Newport?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:41 AM

2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
Originally Posted by cy0811
was it FJ in Newport?
Yes, it was. The sorry thing is that during the price negotiating, they kept hammering me with how much it had cost them to certify this car.

I suspect there's a big disconnect between whatever department is supposedly doing the certification and their sales department, which means their management is either ignorant, or doesn't care. I don't know which is more scary.

It makes you wonder how many other customers of theirs are getting vehicles that really are not ready for sale. Eventually, not managing their size and growth will cause them to implode. It sure won't be the first time that's happened to a business!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
They are the most arrogant dealership in the world. The only reason I'd EVER buy from them is if they're within $500 of a quote from Caliber in Anaheim, or Laguna Niguel MB, just so my car will get treated right during service since it wasn't bought from them.

They have way too many "checkbook" buyers .. show up, write a check, drive off the lot.

Originally Posted by AnotherSL
Yes, it was. The sorry thing is that during the price negotiating, they kept hammering me with how much it had cost them to certify this car.

I suspect there's a big disconnect between whatever department is supposedly doing the certification and their sales department, which means their management is either ignorant, or doesn't care. I don't know which is more scary.

It makes you wonder how many other customers of theirs are getting vehicles that really are not ready for sale. Eventually, not managing their size and growth will cause them to implode. It sure won't be the first time that's happened to a business!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:08 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
FJ in newport may sell the most in the world, but do not have the best deals on certain cars...I went to EVERY dealer in LA and the surrounding cities and they couldnt or wouldn't match the price I was finally quoted on a new SL by a smaller dealer (this was not the first time)....and my family friend's dad is a SM at FJ- but the GM wouldnt budge probably due to the idiots who write them checks without negotiating.....they are hyped up due to their size and many people get shafted by not price checking with other dealers...The manager I buy from now (at a different dealer) will beat their price on anything anytime and is a pleasure to deal with and IMO is the best in the business LA area MB sales wise. It was the first time I really felt good before, during and after negotiations.

Last edited by CY; 06-23-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:37 PM

04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
Hey, cy0811, who's your dealer? I use House of Imports, Ron Amani, he's pretty nice and decent, not sleezebag material that I used to deal with.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:44 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
email sent
Old 06-24-2006, 12:07 PM

'03 S55 AMG, '01 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by StephenK
Unfortunately some dealerships are reliable and some are not. Sounds to me as though the dealership that you are dealing with is one that is not. My local dealership is rated by Mercedes as one of the worst in the country. I take a ride to Jacksonville about 150 miles to get competent service. You can't fight with idiots, they will bring you down to their level.
If you are talking about Crown Eurocars in Tallahassee, I agree with you 100%. They are the absolute worst. I have been taken my BMW M3 there before and got totally fed up with them and will never take another car there. I take my AMG to Atlanta for service when it's necessary.

Last edited by epj1906; 06-24-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:41 PM

2006 ML500
My certified S55 was in pretty good shape overall.....not even any brake issues which seems to pop up quickly on the Benz's.

I'm going a little , but anybody know a good dealer in the ft lauderdale/miami area? I use the Pembroke Pines dealer and I am totally unimpressed.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:27 AM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
FJ in newport may sell the most in the world, but do not have the best deals on certain cars...I went to EVERY dealer in LA and the surrounding cities and they couldnt or wouldn't match the price I was finally quoted on a new SL by a smaller dealer (this was not the first time)....and my family friend's dad is a SM at FJ- but the GM wouldnt budge probably due to the idiots who write them checks without negotiating.....they are hyped up due to their size and many people get shafted by not price checking with other dealers...The manager I buy from now (at a different dealer) will beat their price on anything anytime and is a pleasure to deal with and IMO is the best in the business LA area MB sales wise. It was the first time I really felt good before, during and after negotiations.
Mind mentioning the dealership where you had a positive experience?
Old 07-01-2006, 01:33 AM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Mind mentioning the dealership where you had a positive experience?