SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: AM Stations on Radio Don't Work! HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG Black on Berry Red
AM Stations on Radio Don't Work! HELP!

I purchased a certified pre-owned 2003 SL500 (R230) two months ago. For some reason, the AM stations on my radio have SOO much static (FM stations work fine). I took it back to the dealer but they said the signal strength was fine, but all I hear is static. This is on the majority of AM stations so it's not just the station I want to listen to. It's basically ALL the AM stations! I have 2 other cars and I drive them the same areas and they work fine so I'm positive it's not the area I live in has poor reception signals. Can anyone help? The dealer doesn't know how to fix it and I sure don't. I also noticed the signal does come out a little bit better if I drive with the top down. Is that coincidence or does it have anything to do with it? So frustrated... I didn't buy a SL500 to have my dumb radio not work. Any information from you guys will help. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:39 AM

2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
The AM reception on my 2004 SL is the worst I have ever heard. I have had it in the dealer 3 times, just to deal with this issue. They can't make it any better, and they have tried. We have another '04 SL in the family, and it is not quite as bad, but it is still not good.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by elbowyeish
I purchased a certified pre-owned 2003 SL500 (R230) two months ago. For some reason, the AM stations on my radio have SOO much static (FM stations work fine). I took it back to the dealer but they said the signal strength was fine, but all I hear is static. This is on the majority of AM stations so it's not just the station I want to listen to. It's basically ALL the AM stations! I have 2 other cars and I drive them the same areas and they work fine so I'm positive it's not the area I live in has poor reception signals. Can anyone help? The dealer doesn't know how to fix it and I sure don't. I also noticed the signal does come out a little bit better if I drive with the top down. Is that coincidence or does it have anything to do with it? So frustrated... I didn't buy a SL500 to have my dumb radio not work. Any information from you guys will help. Thank you in advance.
I just traded in my 2003 SL500 for a 2007 SL550 and one of the reasons i made the purchase is because overall, the audio system in the 2003 sucks! The am radio reception was terrible! No satellite radio capability, no mp3 capability, etc. The MB dealer never could fix it, and i finally took their advise and got the new SL550. For what its worth: i find the audio system much much better in the SL550. And am reception is acceptable. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2006, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by elbowyeish
The SL is an interesting car. It has radio amplifiers under the dashboard and thin wires in the windscreen. There is also an amplifier of some kind in the trunk. It would seem logical to check all of these and make sure they are getting power or have a good connection to the wiring harness.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:11 PM

SL55 AMG Black on Berry Red
Thanks Guys

Thanks for your replies. I just took my car in today for another service for the AM stations. The service advisor told me it's because I installed tint on my back window. He said the antenna for the SL is in the glass and the tint interferes with the signal. After he told me that, there was nothing I could say. Now that I think back, it did work a little better before I installed the tint, but it's not like it worked perfectly before the tint either. I will see if it works better today but I bet it won't. Unlike you my friend, I don't have the money to trade in my 2003 SL for a new SL550. hehehe This is so annoying. I didn't buy a $100,000+ car just so the AM stations won't work! ahhhhhhhhhhhhh~~~~~