SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Need input on paint chip on SL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The front end looks incredible, I LOVE IT!

You know when your top is down, you can have the 'rear' windows come up as well right?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
The front end looks incredible, I LOVE IT!

You know when your top is down, you can have the 'rear' windows come up as well right?

I love the front end as well. I think it looks more aggressive than the previous models. My wife on the other hand doesn't really know or care about the sport package.
I normally "cruise" with all the windows down but I just decided to take a few quick pics in the parking lot after having my quick fix of fried chicken.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
If you can afford a new R230, why are owners not having a professional come out and detail their car? I know MB owners that religiously AVOID and go through a lot of trouble to make sure the dealer does NOT wash their car.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Banned

Don't worry about the chips or anything, they will fix it and it and no one will every know. The new front bumper looks great, I shouldn't have bought the 06 bumper. Damn, should've waited for the 07.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vik888
If you can afford a new R230, why are owners not having a professional come out and detail their car? I know MB owners that religiously AVOID and go through a lot of trouble to make sure the dealer does NOT wash their car.

I am sure there are those who pay others to detail their vehicles. Mine only went through the new car prep once prior to being delivered.
I enjoy detailing my own vehicles and will definitely make it a point not to let the dealer run it through their wash on any future appointments.
I am starting to hear horror stories concerning my local dealer (MB south Orlando) but my previous dealer(Brumos) was excellent in every aspect.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I love washing dads car.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
CLK55, CL500, Q45
Originally Posted by meegle
I am sure there are those who pay others to detail their vehicles. Mine only went through the new car prep once prior to being delivered.
I enjoy detailing my own vehicles and will definitely make it a point not to let the dealer run it through their wash on any future appointments.
I am starting to hear horror stories concerning my local dealer (MB south Orlando) but my previous dealer(Brumos) was excellent in every aspect.
I too usually detail my cars.

As for MB South, I would stay away! I used to deal with a lady
named Madilyn over there, because she was the only sane one.
Unfortunatly she left (I can only assume its because its hard to
work with idiots!). Now I go to MB of Orlando (Maitland). Even
when I was buying my SL, Maitland had the one I bought, but
I went to MB South, and they had one without all the options,
and no sport package. The salesman wanted $2k more, and when
I mentioned how I already made a deal with Maitland for a lower
price, he went on to inform me that they called him personally that
morning, and said they RAISED the price by 9.5k. That was the
final straw for me, and now I dont even go there for accesories like
shirts/hats. As for the water shortage, do you believe it with all the
rains we have had? I think its a cover up so they dont have to pay
out everytime they damage a vehicle.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by SL55 RIMS
Don't worry about the chips or anything, they will fix it and it and no one will every know. The new front bumper looks great, I shouldn't have bought the 06 bumper. Damn, should've waited for the 07.
I love this color, and find it particularly sharp on your SL. I could see how you couldn't resist taking delivery, even with the paint issue(s).

However, remember that the Mercedes dealer will be the FIRST to tell you that their fixing the chip won't have a negative effect on the value of the car.
By the way, the Mercedes dealer will also be the FIRST to deduct thousands of dollars due to the paint work, when you trade the car in. It's win-win for the dealer !
Old 07-11-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check my Sig
I really like the color of your SL.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
I really like the color of your SL.
I wish I could have gotten the cognac interior that came on your 50th anniversary model. I love the brown but unfortunately my wife didn't like it nor was it available.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55, CL500, Q45
Just out of curiousity, was your car dealer inventory?
I remember seeing a new SL in that color on display
at the front when I drove by not too long ago, and thought
it looked GREAT. It only caught my attention because its
similar in color to my old CLK.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by rajah996
Just out of curiousity, was your car dealer inventory?
I remember seeing a new SL in that color on display
at the front when I drove by not too long ago, and thought
it looked GREAT. It only caught my attention because its
similar in color to my old CLK.

Rajah,

They did a swap from MB of Tampa. They had it parked underneath the front entrance a few times last week but it was never inside the showroom.
I dropped it off again today to fix the front valance that got scrapped as well as other little issues.
I also found out today that the paint/touch-up work is all performed in their inventory lot outside and NOT inside a shop with a controlled environment(rain free) as neither they or MB Orlando have a dedicated body shop.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
A small thing

I love the color too. The interior color looks familiar to me too

In the photo where you can see the floor mat on the drivers side, it looks quite a bit darker than the interior. The mats in my car and the extra ones they gave me match my carpeting perfectly. In your getting compensation from them you may want to get them to change them for you too.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55, CL500, Q45
Yeah, it was your car then. I saw it under the entrance
while I was driving to Blue Martini. Looks very sharp. As
for body work, yeah, neither of them have dedicated shops.
Its kindof scary!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by StephenK
I love the color too. The interior color looks familiar to me too

In the photo where you can see the floor mat on the drivers side, it looks quite a bit darker than the interior. The mats in my car and the extra ones they gave me match my carpeting perfectly. In your getting compensation from them you may want to get them to change them for you too.

Stephenk,

Thanks for pointing out the color difference between the carpet and the mats. I never really paid any attention to it but my wife apparently did. She prefers the darker mats due to less dirt being visible but I will check with my dealer anyway to see if they have the correct match.
With all the hassles that we have gone through, that is a small token on their part.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Dogs, Sodas and Paint!

Well I see your not all that concerned about the car - since fluffy is riding in the front seat and your filled the drink holder with your favorite soda. I guess it won't be long - before Fluffy rips up the seats or craps on the rug and the soda comes flying out of the holder as your fly around the corner. Yes I got me first paint chip today on the hood near the wiper blade - I guess they don't pull out... Oh well Life goes on, enjoy the car and stop crying about a small chip!.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Well I see your not all that concerned about the car - since fluffy is riding in the front seat and your filled the drink holder with your favorite soda. I guess it won't be long - before Fluffy rips up the seats or craps on the rug and the soda comes flying out of the holder as your fly around the corner. Yes I got me first paint chip today on the hood near the wiper blade - I guess they don't pull out... Oh well Life goes on, enjoy the car and stop crying about a small chip!.
Yes, life goes on and we will inevitably have to deal with morons such as yourself at times. I think you are better off your leased E-class (by the way, maybe you didn't need to know this for your GED test, but you can't put an exclamation mark next to a period).
Old 08-01-2006, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Who died and made you God?

You need to seriously **** off and mind your own f--king business.

Originally Posted by knbcpab
Old 08-01-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by knbcpab
Last time I checked, we were both still concerned about our car. "Fluffy" had plenty of ride time in our CL500 with absolutely no issues whatsoever. They are both fully trained and have complete access to all our homes as well....too bad I can't say the same about some of our friends kids.

We don't plan on "flying" around corners at 90 MPH or doing wheelstands in this car so any soda container should be secure.

Sorry to hear about the paint chip on your hood, life does indeed go on considering you probably haven't even made your first lease payment.
As for our car, it is paid for in full so the financial circumstances are a bit different wouldn't you think?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 PM

A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
stunning looking car (and house) meegle. Love the color. In my humble opinion gived the $ you have shelled out for the car you have every right to expect the car and the service from the dealer to be perfect including the paint work.. Good luck getting it resolved, have you tried going to the GM of the dealer, or to MB directly or no luck? They should send it to a bodyshop to get it done properly.. I can understand your frustration in the meantime. Our local dealer sends all their cars to one panel beater (or bodyshop) to get them detailed and the pre delivery work done. After my wife had an argument with the garage and rear passenger door the same panel beater repaired it and I can't see where it was done, looks factory..

Hope it all comes back brand new and you can enjoy.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by WishforE55
stunning looking car (and house) meegle. Love the color. In my humble opinion gived the $ you have shelled out for the car you have every right to expect the car and the service from the dealer to be perfect including the paint work.. Good luck getting it resolved, have you tried going to the GM of the dealer, or to MB directly or no luck? They should send it to a bodyshop to get it done properly.. I can understand your frustration in the meantime. Our local dealer sends all their cars to one panel beater (or bodyshop) to get them detailed and the pre delivery work done. After my wife had an argument with the garage and rear passenger door the same panel beater repaired it and I can't see where it was done, looks factory..

Hope it all comes back brand new and you can enjoy.

WishforE55,

The paint work is all complete and everything is fine on both ends. The sales manager took care of me on my request mainly due to the owner residing in the same neighborhood where my new home was built.
I guess they want my business on the S550 that I will be ordering sometime this month.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails Need input on paint chip on SL550-resize-imgp3657.jpg   Need input on paint chip on SL550-resize-imgp3709.jpg  

Last edited by meegle; 11-30-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:59 PM

A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
meegle

my pleasure glad to hear it is all sorted once again stunning looking car and color and house and photos. look fwd to seeing some pics of the S550 when it arrives.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

meegle, I can't get over how much I like your color scheme and how perfect that tint is for my tastes -- not too dark, not too light.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vik888
meegle, I can't get over how much I like your color scheme and how perfect that tint is for my tastes -- not too dark, not too light.

Just in case you wanted something similar, I ended up getting Solar Guard charcoal 22 for the side glass while having 18% for the back glass.
No issues with the radio reception so far.

It's not quite as dark as the 5% limo tint(which we didn't want anyway) but does pose some visibility issues for others at intersections.