SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Standard 7 spoke or AMG 5 spoke?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard 7 spoke or AMG 5 spoke?

I am about to spec my SL 500 and cant decide on standard 7 spoke or AMG 5 spoke wheels. I prefer the looks of AMG wheels but I live in the UK where we have a mix of good and poor roads so I am concerned about ride quality.

I have driven an SL with standard wheels which is a softer ride than I expected but no dealer here has one with AMG wheels for me to compare.

Has anyone driven SLs with both types of wheels?

I have an SLK which is a very hard ride on UK roads - and hope the SL/AMG wheel combination might be in between.

Any feedback/help really appreciated.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
From a looks point of view, I much prefer the 5 spoke but I also like the multi-spoke for the SL55 and I'm having a pair of each so that I can change when I want to. I don't much care for the standard ones, they look a bit like on of those weird tropical fruits.

As for ride comfort, you'll probably find the ABC reduces any difference between the wheel sizes while sharpening the handling.

That said, I've never had the change to drive a new SL and the first one I do drive is likely to be my own, hopefully in about 8 weeks time.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:13 PM

2003 CL55
blueSL is right. ABC removes most of the harshness associated with wider, lower profile wheels/tires. I drove a launch edition for about an hour in March with 18" wheels and thought it a bit softer than my CL 500 Sport, which has the 5 spoke AMG 18" wheels. ABC is a remarkable system and if one can get used to the somewhat artificial feel in hard corners, compared to a Porsche 996, it combines exceptional handling capabilities with a relatively comfortabl ride on straight roads at any speed. the ABC on my CL always keeps the wheels planted, which is especially noticable on hard corners with an uneven surface of the type that causes most suspensions to ocillate. Get the AMG wheels, but be prepared for a bit less traction in wet conditons than the higher profile all-weather tires on the standard wheels. BTW, my CL came with Dunlop tires and although I had expected Michelins, have not been disappointed.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:32 PM

2003 CL55
Forgot to mention that I am getting the Sport version of the SL with the AMG 5 spoke wheels and expect to take delivery in Jan.
Also expect an 03 CL 55 in the first quarter of next year, as the SL is for my wife.