SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check my Sig
ABC Malfunction

every now and then I get a malfunction, but it goes away. Is this serious? Safe to drive or should I rush to the dealer ASAP?

The ABC Malfunction comes on and stays on until I restart the car. Usually comes on after a quick turn

Thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 AM

SL 600 640bhp/1000Nm
Mine does that too. I think it’s the computers that screw something up. As with all computers You just need to do a re-boot. Turn of the engine and start it again.
Every time I got the error I have turned the key fast. If I wait ˝ a second in the second key position before start it up I never get the error.
Have You try driving the car in ABC error mode? I have and I can tell You its no fun ride. The car bounces all over. It’s virtually un-driveable without the ABC system.

I have the car in at the dealer once when the ABC error didn’t came off even after a couple of re-boots and they didn’t find anything wrong with it. All they did was reset the error code and all was normal again.

Computers.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:03 PM

2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
I had the similar thing occur.

ABC Red Error came up... Tried to do the restart to fix it, but no luck... Took it to the dealer and they didn't find anything wrong with it.

When my error was on, it floated like a Caddy.... Super loose suspension.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:29 PM

Check my Sig
hmmm, I didn't notice the car drive any different? I think maybe cause the car already feels soft and floaty compared to the other cars with stiffer suspension. Next time the warning comes on I'll have to check.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by Itzkirb
every now and then I get a malfunction, but it goes away. Is this serious? Safe to drive or should I rush to the dealer ASAP?

The ABC Malfunction comes on and stays on until I restart the car. Usually comes on after a quick turn

Thanks
I have had this error occur also after suddden rapid acceleration from say 40 to 90....as with everyone else it went away on restart. One time the transmission also got stuck in 3rd and would not shift out, and I could not change mode from C to S to M either. No clue why this was, again, no problem once restarted.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:29 PM

2006 SL55 Blk/Char Parktronic Keyless Go Xenon Lights Vent Seats; 2007 SL 550 (sold); 2001 CLK 430

Thanks
Itzkirb,
So sorry to here this funtion is not operating correctly. Yes, my 2007 SL 550 did the same thing but I turned it off within a few minutes and turned it back on.....the malfunction cleared.

Still got my issue with the passenger side window not pointing toward the curb when in reverse though.....
Old 08-20-2006, 11:45 AM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles

Thanks

No ABC issues on my end yet. Someone had mentioned that they turn their ignition key immediately without pausing, causing the malfunction light to come on.
I always use the button on the shifter and haven't noticed anything awkward.

I will keep an eye on this and fill you in if things do change.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
Is ABC- active body control?
i know a friend sold his cl500 after a month since they had to take it to the shop like 6 times in a month. is there not a fix for this?
I want to know more about this as I was looking into the R230 sl500s...
please advise.

R
Old 09-04-2006, 10:15 AM

SL 500
I would advise you guys go and get your cars checked out. There are service bulletins pertaining to ABC related problems. when I had my CL, these were the known issues.

1. REPLACE ABC FRONT VALVE BLOCK AND CORRECT FLUID LEVEL

2. A.B.C. LIGHT INTERMMITTANTLY COMES ON AFTER SITTING
NECESSARY TO RELEASE PRESSURE ON SCREWS, REMOVE COVER DISCONNECT HIGH PRESSURE AND RETURN LINES IN ORDRE TO
REPLACE VALVE BODY AND BLEED SYSTEM AND FLUSH SYSTEM AND PERFORM ADAPTATION

3. Replace ABC pump ($3000.00) If under warranty you should be good.

--
There are the three possible reasons for the issue. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:19 AM

Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
DC's notorious DJ Amer is a victim of MB usa.
his car was under starmark warranty and they just could not fix the problem.
Hence, he's driving a brand new G35C fully loaded with no bs crap.
I hope MBUSA is listening. The quality of MB is no where near it used to be. My dads e320 runs like a champion. So does my e430 4matic.
come on ya, fix the damn problem.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:52 PM

Check my Sig
Brought the car to the dealers...They checked everything out and said the fluids were low. So far no more ABC light.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
I had that problem with my SL600.
I took it in the dealer and they said the suspension hydraulic pump is going to be replaced ( I assume thats the ABC pump).
Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 AM

2005 SL 500, 2001 E430, 2003 GMC Sierra
Angry Next Problem?

I guess ABC failure is next for me...First it was the valve body needing replacement [super harsh up and down shifts] @ 700 miles, then the passenger mirror sticking in the down position. That took four visits and it's sticking again. I get various weird computer error messages appearing on the dash.. Sunday, it was gas cap loose; it wasn't. One instance, no radio..said it couldn't find the CD changer, but the radio was dead, as well. A day later everything was working again. When I take the car in for these "mystery" issues, I receive the standard reply..."we can't find anything wrong". On the last mirror repair visit, the dealer managed to scrape a pole with my car. Lovely. It also is now leaking oil at the upper engine. I hate this car. This car has a whopping 3,800 miles on it and I leave it in the garage and use my E or my trusty GMC. I've never been so disappointed in a vehicle. I did opt for the MBZ extended warranty, but I doubt this car will be with me that long.

MBUSA is useless. They used to be very responsive to their customers. Cars have issues but competent dealer and caring manufacturer responses can take a lot of sting out the problems. That doesn't happen with Mercedes anymore. I'm on my fourth and last SL. When the E430 needs replacement, no more Mercedes.
I'll either go back to BMW or even try an Audi. None inspire any great confidence, but non-German cars seem so dull to drive by comparison. I guess it's the lesser of the evils but definitely no more Mercedes Benz and I do tell anyone who will listen to avoid them.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by luckyjames
I hate this car.
Sorry to hear about all your problems.
I knew my SL600 would have lots of problems when before I bought it so I got the extended warranty to the max...For your SL500, you have one less thing to worry about and that is the engine. I heard that a repair relating to the V12 would cost an arm and take forever...

Nevertheless, the ABC problems are inherent for all these cars. Same goes to my E55, the airmatic struts died on me around 39k miles but luckily its all replaced under warranty.

Last edited by derrick_lui; 03-26-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:04 PM

2006 SL500R, 2012 E63, 2014 ML550
Alphabet Hell

Looking for answers on ABC system...............................

ABC system dips car after 1 hour; take to dealer and they replace valves.

ABC dips again next day; take to dealer and they replace pump.

ABC dips again, dealer replaces fluid.

ABD dips again, dealer replaces struts.

ABC dips again, WTF, what's next?

Dealer is perplexed; we have had a replacement car now for three weeks off and on.

I think the dealer/manufacturer will be buying back this car and branding the title as a POS. Fortunately, it is under warranty.

Anyone with similar issues for a 2006 SL500?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
My '03 SL55 has not experienced any ABC issues. Either I have been lucky or the took their time with that first crop!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 AM

2004 SL600, 2006 Range Rover SC
I took my 04 600 in for an alignment right when I bought it about a year ago with 25k. The car would not sit still on the rack, so they replaced the ABC computer. Didn't know until I picked it up and they said, "By the way...".

The warranty ran out this past March, but not before I brought it to another dealer (since I met a tech who works there) who did about $9k in warranty work for me - inlcuding 3 out of 4 new struts.

I guess decent dealers are still out there, but a lot of them are ust getting really lazy.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
My '03 SL55 has not experienced any ABC issues. Either I have been lucky or the took their time with that first crop!
You are one lucky bugger, but be careful because its pretty much a ticking timebomb!

Everyoen I know who owns an SL gets the ABC malfuntion.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM

2003 sl500 MB
thats true, i own a 03 sl 500 and my ABC system is driving me crazy, but the worst is that i live en EL SALVADOR and the MB dealer doesn´t even have the proper oil for the flush, and i have to wait for one month from now to they to have it, mine is the only one in my country and only have 8,300 miles now; but gets worst, i ask them for block valves replacement too, as some member suggest, and they ask me $8k for fixing the problem,, aren´t they crazy?????? they wanted to change the pumb, the front and rear block valves, and practically all the system, they have no idea what they are doing, by the way the prolbem in mine is that when im on the road suddenly the cars goes to lowest position and the dash board signs reads in read STOP. CAR TOO LOW, then the car returns by it self to the regular position and give me no more problems , therefore i still driving my car with the problem... till i can get a real solution, (hoppely in this forum), (i get answers already but the solution was: take it to the MB, and you already know what happened)
Old 06-12-2008, 01:37 AM

2006 SL 500
Rearview mirror in reverse

Originally Posted by ldenise90
Itzkirb,
So sorry to here this funtion is not operating correctly. Yes, my 2007 SL 550 did the same thing but I turned it off within a few minutes and turned it back on.....the malfunction cleared.

Still got my issue with the passenger side window not pointing toward the curb when in reverse though.....
Make sure your right side rearview mirror (as it is sided as you're seated in the passenger compartment) is pressed down for that feature to work.