SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Little argument Im having

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little argument Im having

Hi. This is my first post obviously. Im new, and a poor medical student - I dont drive an MB, rather a Ford. Now that we have the intros out of the way, my question.

So we all know the wheels that were seen on the SLR concept and are on some current SLs

I am convinced that these wheels are directions ie, if you put the wheels from the R on the L, the wheels are now backwards - my logic behind this is the fact that if on properly, the wheels direct fresh air towards the rotors wherease if on backwards, that air is uselessly vented out.

Apparently, some people don't agree with me. I wasn't sure where else to go to get definitive information.

As a result, I came here.

Below is the thread in question that shows the wheels.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?...how&id=2868495

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 PM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
The wheel look like they function as pumps. The question is, how efficiently they pump air, and which direction you want to pump the air.

If you pump cool air in to the discs, it will cool the discs. If you pump hot air away from the discs, cool air from under the car will replace the hot air, and that will cool the discs. So they will get cooled either way.

Assuming a reasonably high volume of air is pumped, pumping the hot air away from the discs will provide some downforce. Pumping cool air under the car from the outside will lift the car, which is not a good thing. I would doubt if the wheels are such efficient pumps for the downforce changes to be significant.

Assuming that the wheels on one side pump one way, say from the outside in, and the wheels on the other side pump the other way, say from the inside out, there will be a sideways force on the car that may make it want to pull to the right or left. Like with downforce, I would doubt if this would be significant except possibly at very high speeds.

If the wheels on the front pump the air from right to left and the wheels on the back pump the air from left to right, the car will want to turn left at very high speeds.

If it were my car, I'd set up the wheels to pump the air out.

Jim
Old 10-10-2006, 02:44 PM

04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
Unfortunately, I have those turbine wheels on my SL (changed them for 20 OZ's already) but I know they were all in one direction, no difference between right and left. The same goes for the AMG brake rotors, they are all in direction, so yes, when you put them on, they are flowing correctly on one side and reverse on the other. I dont know why they don't make them directional for L and R sides. Probably cost but damn, I think Brembo makes their brakes for R and L... why can't AMG?