SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Think I know what you will say......go for it!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Think I know what you will say......go for it!

Apart from early teething problems I have enjoyed the CLS500..the shape is different and actually wanted something a little bigger(although rarely have passengers) to carry stuff in the trunk..as I didn't want another sports car as I already have a LMB C6 corvette..which I love but actually is a garage queen. So I thought I would upgrade to either the CLS63 or CLS550 as the 07 has 380 horses now. Take the wife to the showroom today and she claps her eyes on the SL550 and says what about one of those? As I see dollar signs exploding before my eyes!!!
Of course the Salesman just happens to have coming next week a Designo Mystic White absolutely fully loaded(all that appears to be missing is the panorama roof). Yikes... a lot of dosh!!!
Must admit, neat looking car. Yes, I won't have all that space in the trunk and yes I will have a hard convertible which seeing in operation was awesome. Any comments and obviously I expect them to be biased here, but would appreciate your honesty, experience etc, etc. I will start looking at several hundred previous posts as well but I have to in my mind decide if I now want two sports cars in the garage and does the price justify the means as I actually like the shape of the CLS(I know..we are talking about two totally different beasts here) and interested to know as the two 07 engines are roughly the same in HP, which actually is more powerful?
Thx.
p.s. Have ruled out the CLS63 as don't need all that power!!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
I don't think you should view the SL550 as a sports car. Your Corvette is a sports car, and so is a Porsche (if it's not their SUV), and also the F series Ferraris, but not an SL.

Personally the only reason I have an SL is so I can put the top down on a car with a real trunk that also has 493hp/590 pounds of torque. It's by no means nimble, but has an amazingly smooth ride. I don't care that it's only a 2 seater because if I need to take more people, I just drive my SUV instead.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:28 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
Its a tough choice...the CLS has the bold roof line and the ability to cram people in the back if needed....the SL is a flagship hardtop convertible and to some the ultimate MB, but cant carry very many peope and is really more of a roadster then a sportscar due to the roof/weight etc. The CLS has lost some of its cool factor since they have a somewhat low MSRP and are becoming more common and because of the new S/CL....either one is a great choice though.

Have you considered a starmarked SL55 or CLS55 ?

Last edited by CY; 12-08-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by branmin
...Take the wife to the showroom today and she claps her eyes on the SL550 and says what about one of those?
I will start looking at several hundred previous posts as well but I have to in my mind decide if I now want two sports cars in the garage and does the price justify the means as I actually like the shape of the CLS(I know..we are talking about two totally different beasts here) and interested to know as the two 07 engines are roughly the same in HP, which actually is more powerful?
Thx.
Are you nuts, man? Your wife is encouraging you to consider an SL and you have to think about it? Go and buy it right now before she rethinks her position!

As AnotherSL pointed out, the SL and C6 are very different cars, with the C6 having much more of a sports/track car feel and the SL having much more of a Grand Touring car feel. Even the slightly edgier AMG SLs are incredibly smooth and refined.

On top of that, the retractable hard top makes it like having two cars in one, a coupe in cold/wet weather or for fast travel and a convertible in warm/dry weather or for slower crusing. Driving the SL on an open road with the top down is an incredibly satisfying experience. It's the perfect car for weekend getaways with your wife.

So do the right thing for your wife and yourself and buy that SL!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
get the SL unless you want a 4 seater
Old 12-16-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hah, get the SL EVEN IF you want the 4 seater! lol. seriously though, I could not be happier with my 04 SL 600, and the 07+ are built better. Not differently necessarily, just better. MB has been lacking in the past several years...
Old 12-17-2006, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by iBkickinit
hah, get the SL EVEN IF you want the 4 seater! lol. seriously though, I could not be happier with my 04 SL 600, and the 07+ are built better. Not differently necessarily, just better. MB has been lacking in the past several years...
I want, better yet DEMAND , pictures of your car I LOVE the white/red on the SL's