SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Extended Warranty Questions......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extended Warranty Questions......

Okay last time I posted people were telling me to sell and get another car with extended warranty included. Unfortunetly when I bought my car I wasnt thinking that I would need the extended since I have never really got them on my other cars and never had any issues but with the SL I have decided to get it.

Now for the question....does anyone know any good companies where I can purchase the extended warranty from and how much do they run about? Any help would be greatly appriciated!!

Thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
I would advise you to utilize the program offered by MB.

You run an escalated risk that a non-MB-sponsored insurer will not be in business during the coverage period. The dealer (which will have long ago collected your money) will disclaim any responsibility for selling you a program from a defunct third-party insurer.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ph1958
I would advise you to utilize the program offered by MB.

You run an escalated risk that a non-MB-sponsored insurer will not be in business during the coverage period. The dealer (which will have long ago collected your money) will disclaim any responsibility for selling you a program from a defunct third-party insurer.

Yeah thats what I was thinking as well. I was going to call a few dealers next week but wanted to see if there were any good third party ones but what you stated you do have a point!
Old 12-25-2006, 10:11 AM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by johnny5
Okay last time I posted people were telling me to sell and get another car with extended warranty included. Unfortunetly when I bought my car I wasnt thinking that I would need the extended since I have never really got them on my other cars and never had any issues but with the SL I have decided to get it.

Now for the question....does anyone know any good companies where I can purchase the extended warranty from and how much do they run about? Any help would be greatly appriciated!!

Thanks
I was told you have to get the extended MB warranty prior to the normal warranty expiring.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by dogma
I was told you have to get the extended MB warranty prior to the normal warranty expiring.
If thats the case Im screwed!!! Ill double check though. Thanks for the update.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 AM

I just had carfax send me a link to a company that they are using for extended warranties. I think that you have to have at least one month left on your existing warrant though. Check their website to get some more information.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
I think if you go with a reputable 3rd party warranty company, you will be fine. I don't think most just go in and out of business.

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mjr24
I think if you go with a reputable 3rd party warranty company, you will be fine. I don't think most just go in and out of business.

Anyone know of any reputable companies I can go through?
Old 01-15-2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by born2mod
I just had carfax send me a link to a company that they are using for extended warranties. I think that you have to have at least one month left on your existing warrant though. Check their website to get some more information.
Thanks Ill check there website out. Let me know if you find out anymore info. Im still interested in getting it if possible. I really dont want to get rid of this car!!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:40 PM

2003 SL500
Anyone know of any reputable companies I can go through?
The MB dealer quoted me $6,169 on a 4 year bumper to bumper EZ Care warranty on my 2003 SL500 that the warranty lapsed in October of 2006.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 PM

The MB dealer quoted me $6,169 on a 4 year bumper to bumper EZ Care warranty on my 2003 SL500 that the warranty lapsed in October of 2006.
Ill look into it. I already got quoted by a indepant broker $3000 but very iffy on going that route because of the horror stories I hear from third parties. I doubt Ill be able to get it through MB because of the miles I have on the car now. Will see.

Thanks for the up's.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:05 AM

2003 SL500
Ill look into it. I already got quoted by a indepant broker $3000 but very iffy on going that route because of the horror stories I hear from third parties. I doubt Ill be able to get it through MB because of the miles I have on the car now. Will see.

Thanks for the up's.
The warranty was for 4yr 100,000 miles. I have 64,000 currently.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 AM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL

Thanks for the up's.
On any aftermarket warranty, make absolutely sure it specifically covers the items/equipment that you want. As an example, I would want the entire retractable roof system to be covered, but many aftermarket warranties have vague language on this subject, which may give them the option to deny your claim when repair is needed. Just read the fine print several times before purchasing these warranties, so you don't become disappointed and angry later. Also before purchasing, I would also call their toll-free claims reporting number and speak with a claims represenative to verify their coverages on certain equipment (e.g. COMAND system) and write yourself a memo of their answers along with the rep's name.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:21 AM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
Originally Posted by Sgooter
On any aftermarket warranty, make absolutely sure it specifically covers the items/equipment that you want. As an example, I would want the entire retractable roof system to be covered, but many aftermarket warranties have vague language on this subject, which may give them the option to deny your claim when repair is needed. Just read the fine print several times before purchasing these warranties, so you don't become disappointed and angry later. Also before purchasing, I would also call their toll-free claims reporting number and speak with a claims represenative to verify their coverages on certain equipment (e.g. COMAND system) and write yourself a memo of their answers along with the rep's name.

That is a very good point you bring up
Most aftermarket warranties are so skewed with their interpretation on what is actually covered that the consumer is often left holding the bag
Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM

W209 CLK
Wow, that's kinda pricey. Is the price dependant on the vehicle? I just asked about the extended warranty on my vehicle (W209 CLK) and the price was nowhere near there. My MB Dealership quoted me $2800 CND (approx $2,300 USD) pending inspection. The extended warranty covers all systems, electrical & mechanical for the first three years, and then drive train only on the fourth.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:02 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by chixdiggit
Wow, that's kinda pricey. Is the price dependant on the vehicle? I just asked about the extended warranty on my vehicle (W209 CLK) and the price was nowhere near there. My MB Dealership quoted me $2800 CND (approx $2,300 USD) pending inspection. The extended warranty covers all systems, electrical & mechanical for the first three years, and then drive train only on the fourth.
Is yours still under warranty? That is what makes the most difference. If I had known, I would have purchased one much cheaper prior to having the factory warranty run.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:40 PM

W209 CLK
Yes it is. The warranty is out in July.

So in otherwords, it's just an opportunity for the dealership to gouge you that's causing the enormous price difference.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sgooter
Yeah everything you stated is what I will want since I know any freak accident can happen with the retractable roof and Im sure its not cheap to fix. Thanks for the ups and Ill do somemore reasearch on things before I jump on anything.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:01 PM

2003 E55
Cool After Market Warranty

HEY GUYS, I JUST BOUGHT A 03 E55 W/49000 AND WARRANTY GOOD THROUGH JULY. i SAW THE AA EXTENDED AT A GOOD PRICE AS WELL AS BBB AFFILIATED. I NEED A WAARANTY ON THIS CAR. GO OR NO GO?????:
Old 03-09-2007, 08:16 PM

all i can say is.. extended warranty companies should be illegal. 90% of people that i have known or that have bought one, have either been defrauded or never gotten anything worth the value out of them.

i did all my research possible, and both the extended warranty companies i was with went out of business.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I also have amother thread on the sl forum about this, my sl is still under factory warranty, and will be until the end of July, I was told at the time I bought the car I could get the extended warranty anytime durring the orig, warranty period, now I am told that since I diden't extend at the time I bought the car I am out of luck on the M.B. warranty, and they are offering me a aftermarket ( G.E.) one, too much conflicting info from the dealer, don't want to go aftermarket, can anyone offer any info or advice.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 PM

2003 E55
Extended Warranties

i ALSO HEARD SOMEONE SWEAR BY THE CHRYSLER EXTENDED http://www.chryslerservicecontracts.com
AND SPEAKING WITH THEM THEY ACTUALLY MIMMICK THE DEALER PLAN FOR A GREAT PRICE. I WOULD RATHER DEAL WITH A DEALER THN ANYONE. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF THIS?