SL/R230: Replacing taillights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL 500
Replacing taillights

are the taillights something which can easily be done by yourself or is it something that you need to take it to the shop to? i'm thinking of purchasing these but wont if i'm gonna have to pay the shop to do it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-12-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by M.O.B.
are the taillights something which can easily be done by yourself or is it something that you need to take it to the shop to? i'm thinking of purchasing these but wont if i'm gonna have to pay the shop to do it
If your technical and know what your doing than you should have no problems. If your uncertain or if your not car saffy than I would have a professional do it.

The best way to do it is by removing the panels carefully or moved as far as possible to get your hands and tools in there. Make sure you have enough room to play with. Find all the nuts on the light. Once removed they should pop off and unplug and your good to go. Reverse the installation to put them back on.

As for the taillights you know that they are a painted set right? There has been talk on this subject before and was something I was pondering on as well. If you have the extra money I would invest in a real set. The new lightly smoked 07 AMG Lights are awesome and are also LED's on the bottom.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Almost a Member!

04 SL 500
thank you very much johnny. i used to change the lights on my previous bimmer so hopefully i'd be able to do this. yea i noticed that they're painted however i've heard that oem amg lights are around $900 in which case if these look the same, i'd be willing to pay less. do you know how much the oems go for?

edit: i just searched oempartsdirect.com and found this. do you know any part numbers?
Sl55 sl65 Right 03-06 $348.00 $285.36

Sl55 sl65 Left 03-06 $348.00 $285.36

Last edited by M.O.B.; 01-13-2007 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Part numbers are in another thread for the 07's. To be honest, these tails are not easy to change though. My CL ones were easy....I tried doing my SL and gave up eventually.....too much of a hassle, too many panels.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:35 PM

thank you very much johnny. i used to change the lights on my previous bimmer so hopefully i'd be able to do this. yea i noticed that they're painted however i've heard that oem amg lights are around $900 in which case if these look the same, i'd be willing to pay less. do you know how much the oems go for?

edit: i just searched oempartsdirect.com and found this. do you know any part numbers?
Sl55 sl65 Right 03-06 $348.00 $285.36

Sl55 sl65 Left 03-06 $348.00 $285.36

Yeah you might want to do a search for the numbers as I dont know them right off the bat. There are the newer ones with a very very light smoke tint which Im probably going to end up getting. Than theres the other AMG ones that are darker. For the money your going to pay I'd go with the lighter smoked ones if your going to get OEM. But if not I know a few shops that can paint them for you. I havent seen them personally painted and on a car but its your call.

I also have a bimmer and its no comparison on the amount of work your going to have to put into the benz on getting them out.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by mjr24
Part numbers are in another thread for the 07's. To be honest, these tails are not easy to change though. My CL ones were easy....I tried doing my SL and gave up eventually.....too much of a hassle, too many panels.

hahaha.....its a b*tch but can be done. Trust me I dont have patients either and Im sure when Im ready to do it Ill go insane.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Almost a Member!

04 SL 500
Originally Posted by johnny5
Yeah you might want to do a search for the numbers as I dont know them right off the bat. There are the newer ones with a very very light smoke tint which Im probably going to end up getting. Than theres the other AMG ones that are darker. For the money your going to pay I'd go with the lighter smoked ones if your going to get OEM. But if not I know a few shops that can paint them for you. I havent seen them personally painted and on a car but its your call.

I also have a bimmer and its no comparison on the amount of work your going to have to put into the benz on getting them out.
thanks for the info. so are the ones with the lighter tint also oem but cheaper? i live in newport beach
Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM

thanks for the info. so are the ones with the lighter tint also oem but cheaper? i live in newport beach
There the same pricing as the older AMG ones. You figure they would be cheaper but nope thats not the case. But the lighter ones are OEM. If you lived closer than I would help you with the installs but if you dont mind driving... than we can figure something out. As for the lights if your interested in painting them let me know and Ill talk to the body shop I was going to go too.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Yes, it can be done, but just be patient. on the driver side, I was going crazy to find the last nut before I realized it was covered by a piece of foam in the quarter panel. Do the right side first, and you will understand where to look on the left. just takes time and patience. Oh yea, a magnet on an extending pole (Mine has an led built in) came in handy when I kept dropping the nuts!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Use the search function. There are lots of posts on this including instructions I did on how to replace the tail lights.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Almost a Member!

04 SL 500
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Use the search function. There are lots of posts on this including instructions I did on how to replace the tail lights.
thanks but i posted this 2 months ago
Old 03-27-2007, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
I thought things were a little more active than that. Next time I will look at the date. Sorry.