Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500 Sports Package
Anyone have experience with 3rd Party Warranty

Hi:

I have an 03 SL with 30K on it. My car was bought used with 400 miles so I have the Starmark One Year Warranty extension in addition to the original factory warranty.

I got a letter from the dealership offering an extended warranty for three years 36000 miles for $3300. The one caveat is it would kick in at the end of the factory warranty and I would be double covered for a year. The warranty must be purchased before the car has 35K miles on it.

The question I have is since I am planning on keeping the car is it worth paying 3300 up front to know that I will have a fixed cost for major repairs until I have 72K miles on the car ( or three more years after I hit 35K miles which should be this summer some time )

Also the warranty is not from MBUSA but some company called JMA. The dealership here in Bellevue Washington is impeccable integrity wise. The impression I have is Jimmy Barrier is not going to allow something shady to be sold out of his dealership.

But I don't know... and I 'm curious as to what other owners who plan on keeping their cars are planning with respect to the possibility of major repair costs.

P.S. The only major thing I had go wrong was the ABC malfunctioned once and they had to do a fairly extensive repair judging from the elaborate machine they had my car hooked up to.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G63, AMG GT S
USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!!! I've covered this topic THOROUGHLY and have explained JM&A and Fidelity.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:23 AM

2003 SL500
I have 68,000 miles on my 03 SL500 and just had the alternator go out and kill both batteries. It was a $1,300 repair. At a $1,000 per year, even with double coverage for one of those, I think it would be money well spent.

It will also help with resale.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:59 PM

Enterprise rent-a-car!!!
Get a Mercury extended warrenty, they cover more than the starmark and are very reliable, plus you dont have to take the car to the dealer if you dont wish. Never had a problem with them, I cannot sat the say for other companies. Shop around, dealers have huge mark ups on there extended warrenty prices, as much as 50% in some case's, so be prepared to deal !!