SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Calibre K40 Radar Defuser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL-500
Calibre K40 Radar Defuser

anyone have an experience with this product in the R230. just had one installed and wanted to get some feedback before I go out and "test" it.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
Car & Driver magazine did a thorough test a while back on all of the jammers, phasers, diffusers, etc.

The bottom line is they are ALL junk, snake oil, or whatever else you want to call them. In other words, they DON'T WORK!

I'd like to see the testing results from a truly independent testing company or lab on this one.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:35 PM
gqa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' sl 500
to anothersl: thats simply not true. i have a laser jammer system by blinder xtreme. i know for a fact that it works becuase my brother and i had them installed on the same day in our cars. i took a month for 1 of us to get lasered and it happened to be my brother about 3 miles from my house. a cop was shooting laser in a school safety zone where the speed limit drops from 35mph to 20mph in an instant. the officer lasered my brother for about 8-10 seconds from less than a quarter mile and it scared the crap out of my brother as his v1 and laser jammers went off at the same time. when my brother attempted to pass the cop who was shooting laser standing outside his car. the officer waved him down. my brother thought he was toast when the cop asked him what he had on his car because he could not get a reading on him. my brother almost swallowed his tongue but admiited he had laser jammers installed since there not illegal in our state. the cop actually asked to see where there were installed and then let him go! (true story which my brother posted on this forumhttp://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=17174&highlight=)

i have been only lasered in my car once since having them installed when entering a bridge ramp, but i think it was only a stray reflection because the cop pulled over the chrylser 3 cars ahead of me. both my v1 and my laser jammers went off simultaneously. my friend who also drives and sl has the k40 installed in his sl(and who swore up and down it worked) never got a warning.

some jammers do work and others are just b.s. but like anything else you have do your home work. we searched long and hard about laser jammers from independent testers including actual video footage. there are plenty of forums where radar detectors, laser jammers and other speed trap countermeasure are discussed. try guys of lidar.
NOTE: dont expect to drive 120mph in a 60mph zone and think the laser jammers will protect you. there is always punch thru!

to dmjohn02: i hope you did your homework. the calibre is an expensive system(wireless bluetooth but high dealer mark up) but i havent seen any independent tests proving it actually works. im not saying it doesnt but i know k40 is the earlier version of the calibre and it didnt do so good against laser in idependent tests. but having that said maybe it has been improved! good luck
Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
You're right about laser jammers. Some of them do work very well. I was referring to radar jammers, which are ALL snake oil. I should have said that.

In California, "any device that interferes" with the the police's speed measuring equipment is illegal. It seems that every traffic patrol officer around here is sporting a laser gun, so I spend more time watching my speedo than I do watching the road.