SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Question Phone

Does anyone know the correct make and model No# for the Mercedes Phone in an '03 SL?

I have the cradel and cord in the console, but no phone.

Royd
Old 03-31-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
It depends on what phone service you subscribe to.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:27 PM

SL55, 360 Spider, NissanTitan
my '03 SL used a Motorola V60 in the cradle - they sell one with special firmware that allows functionality with Comand (display & select from address book). My carrier was Verizon - I have a used Mercedes enabled Motorola V60 phone if interested. You can also now purchase a puck in the shape of a V60 that fits in the cradle and enables bluetooth. This worked well with my Motorola Razr. I now have an SL55 and no use for the V60.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:36 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by cmos
my '03 SL used a Motorola V60 in the cradle - they sell one with special firmware that allows functionality with Comand (display & select from address book). My carrier was Verizon - I have a used Mercedes enabled Motorola V60 phone if interested. You can also now purchase a puck in the shape of a V60 that fits in the cradle and enables bluetooth. This worked well with my Motorola Razr. I now have an SL55 and no use for the V60.
Hope this helps.

Cmos,

I have an SL55 amg also... It has the cradle but no phone, I'm trying to get a grip on what's going on... I saw the Puck, and understand that BMW offers the same thing, at almost half the price... Trouble is, my cell phone is not supported according to MB's website. Some say it will work, it's an LG VX8100.

Some say it might work in limited capicity... If I have to get a new phone like the supported razor... It going to get expensive... Buying a new MB V60 I understand is $500 for the phone which people say will not be supported soon. My Carrier is Verizon..

What do you feel my best option is?

Thanks,

RoydRage
Old 04-02-2007, 02:12 PM

In 2003 all mercedes benz took the V60I/T in 2004 they took the V60s which is sold now for Verion service but it has to be purchase at MB or thru AWS.
The LG VX8100 is not a supported phone with the V60 BT adaptor the razr would most likely be your best bet.
I work for AWS who does the phone system for Mercedes Benz if you have any question feel free to contact me via PM or phone my number and name are in my signature.

Originally Posted by RoydRage
Cmos,

I have an SL55 amg also... It has the cradle but no phone, I'm trying to get a grip on what's going on... I saw the Puck, and understand that BMW offers the same thing, at almost half the price... Trouble is, my cell phone is not supported according to MB's website. Some say it will work, it's an LG VX8100.

Some say it might work in limited capicity... If I have to get a new phone like the supported razor... It going to get expensive... Buying a new MB V60 I understand is $500 for the phone which people say will not be supported soon. My Carrier is Verizon..

What do you feel my best option is?

Thanks,

RoydRage
Old 04-04-2007, 09:00 AM

SL55
Exclamation No Communicato!!

Originally Posted by 1sicknickel
In 2003 all mercedes benz took the V60I/T in 2004 they took the V60s which is sold now for Verion service but it has to be purchase at MB or thru AWS.
The LG VX8100 is not a supported phone with the V60 BT adaptor the razr would most likely be your best bet.
I work for AWS who does the phone system for Mercedes Benz if you have any question feel free to contact me via PM or phone my number and name are in my signature.

I am losing my MIND with this... Didn't see this post till this morning.

I had purchased the V60 puck at BMW, and switched my phone at Verizon to the 3Vm Razr, You can pair the phone to the BTUM V60 Puck, and it links up,

BUT THE CAR DOES NOT SEE THE PHONE!!!

All it says is: Err: Phone Not Connected.

I messed with it for 5 hours.... And I'm ready to jump off a building.

HELP PLEASE...

Royd
Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
CLK55, CL500, Q45
I too did this when i first bought my SL. The BMW BT puck
WILL NOT work with your MB. Trust me I went thru it, you
are best off getting the MB BT puck and it will work within
two mins.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 PM

SL55
Question Huh?

Originally Posted by rajah996
I too did this when i first bought my SL. The BMW BT puck
WILL NOT work with your MB. Trust me I went thru it, you
are best off getting the MB BT puck and it will work within
two mins.
Rajah,

So then how can this guy say it does... More than one guy on this thread says that the BMW puck works... And If on MB car works they all have to... Cause it's the same protocol

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=V60

I'm really afraid that If I spend another $400 on an MB puck that it still won't work... Some guy was saying that the dealer might have to version code it?

I'm feeling faint!

Royd
Old 04-05-2007, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55, CL500, Q45
I am not sure how they did it, when I bought the BMW puck
it did not work, and I tried everything under the sun. Eventually
got the MB puck and it worked before I even pulled out of the
dealership parking lot.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:53 PM

SL55
Angry S/w

Raj,

Ok thanks, But AWS Swears it's the software version that's causing it.

And I'm not going to pay those bandits $300 for a phone I can get for free from Verizon.

I've found the original Software versions for the phone, the one they say is guaranteed to work, and I'm going to flash the phone back myself... It's a big process with installing all kinds of software on the phone, and saving your address book Etc, But I'm not going to be extorted.

If this doesn't work, then it's got to be the BMW puck.

Thanks,

RoydRage
Old 04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55, CL500, Q45
Before you do that, make sure on the model of the BMW puck.
Is it the 9000 or the 8000? You need the 9000 kit for it to work
according to the guys in the link you posted.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:36 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by rajah996
Before you do that, make sure on the model of the BMW puck.
Is it the 9000 or the 8000? You need the 9000 kit for it to work
according to the guys in the link you posted.
Raj,

TOO LATE! I successfully flashed the phone to the AWS specified software last night, and the phone works fine, and shows the correct S/W version.

BUT THE CAR STILL SAYS; "PHONE NOT CONNECTED" !!!!

It must be the BMW puck causing it! How can Sandoval, and these others say it works if it doesn't?

Now someone at AWS says the car needs to have a dual sense PSE! Now what is that??? They mention NOTHING About this on their site... So just buy everything, and find out later!?!

How do you know? there is no part number like that on the puck... Or the box.

I'm ready to get a tin can, and a really long string!
Old 04-08-2007, 03:53 PM

03 SL55
$400 but no Rage

RoydRage, buy the mercedes Puck on Ebay if you don't want to spend 400. I got one and works fine with the razor, it sometimes loses the signal but if I connect it again it works, all the phone numbers in my razor apear on the Comand screen too. Good luck.
Now I got the clear 3rd break light like the 2007 SL55, real nice, I have to figure out how to replace it.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:45 PM

I'd hate to say I told you so
Raj,

TOO LATE! I successfully flashed the phone to the AWS specified software last night, and the phone works fine, and shows the correct S/W version.

BUT THE CAR STILL SAYS; "PHONE NOT CONNECTED" !!!!

It must be the BMW puck causing it! How can Sandoval, and these others say it works if it doesn't?

Now someone at AWS says the car needs to have a dual sense PSE! Now what is that??? They mention NOTHING About this on their site... So just buy everything, and find out later!?!

How do you know? there is no part number like that on the puck... Or the box.

I'm ready to get a tin can, and a really long string!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:56 PM

SL55
Thumbs down Wrong!

I'd hate to say I told you so
You told me that it was the PHONE!!! And If I bought a phone from you it would work!

Well It seems what you told me was wrong!!!

At least I didn't let you guys ROB me of $300 to find out!

RoydRage
Old 04-10-2007, 02:07 PM

I wasnt telling you to buy it from me I gave you the option if you want a gaurentee and I also told you that it could be the BT adaptor because it is made for a BMW not a Mercedes. I gave you the SW version that is tested and proven by Mercedes Benz engineers that I know works without any problems with the MB V60 BT adaptor
So chill out
You told me that it was the PHONE!!! And If I bought a phone from you it would work!

Well It seems what you told me was wrong!!!

At least I didn't let you guys ROB me of $300 to find out!

RoydRage
Old 04-10-2007, 05:30 PM

SL55
Thumbs down Bs

I wasn't telling you to buy it from me I gave you the option if you want a gaurentee and I also told you that it could be the BT adaptor because it is made for a BMW not a Mercedes. I gave you the SW version that is tested and proven by Mercedes Benz engineers that I know works without any problems with the MB V60 BT adaptor
So chill out

You told me you knew that is was the software, and that If I got the phone it would work... You didn't key on the BMW Bluetooth adapter being the problem, and other people here are using them with success... If it works with one Mercedes it is the right protocol, and it has to work with all of them.

Well low and behold I have software NewC_01.05.0A in the phone making it EXACTLY like the phone you would have sold me! AND, it does NOT work.

You people are extortionists... If you were here to help loyal Mercedes customers with their phones you wouldn't be trying to sell phones for exorbitant prices that we can basically get for free, just because they still have OLD software on them.

Your Company should be ashamed! And I'm sending a letter of complaint to Mercedes USA in fact I live right near Montvale NJ, I think I will go there in person.

RoydRAGE

That's what I'm saying.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 PM

SL55, 360 Spider, NissanTitan
Roydrage,

There is no question that BT works with the MB version of the puck when hooked up to a Verizon Razr - I did it, many have done it, and it works. Your problem started when you bought the BMW puck. When reading through the thread you referenced, their cars are E-class, and judging by the pictures included in the thread, their Comand system is different to the 03SL and therefore may interpret the signal sent via wire from the cradle to the Comand unit in a different way.
I think what you may have been told is true - you got full interaction between the BMW puck and the Razr phone using the firmware upgrade you installed. I think the problem lies at a different point in the system, and the BMW firmware in the puck is sending info down the wire to the Comand unit, that cannot be interpreted by the Comand unit. I won't be at all surprised if MB tells you to simply use the MB puck and all your problems wil be resolved. Sometimes it's worth spending a litle bit more to get something that works out of the box.
Just my 2c
Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 PM

SL55
Lightbulb Could Be Right!

Originally Posted by cmos
Roydrage,

There is no question that BT works with the MB version of the puck when hooked up to a Verizon Razr - I did it, many have done it, and it works. Your problem started when you bought the BMW puck. When reading through the thread you referenced, their cars are E-class, and judging by the pictures included in the thread, their Comand system is different to the 03SL and therefore may interpret the signal sent via wire from the cradle to the Comand unit in a different way.
I think what you may have been told is true - you got full interaction between the BMW puck and the Razr phone using the firmware upgrade you installed. I think the problem lies at a different point in the system, and the BMW firmware in the puck is sending info down the wire to the Comand unit, that cannot be interpreted by the Comand unit. I won't be at all surprised if MB tells you to simply use the MB puck and all your problems wil be resolved. Sometimes it's worth spending a litle bit more to get something that works out of the box.
Just my 2c

Cmos...

Your 2 cents are well taken, I have my car at the dealer for 3 Recalls involving SBC brake system, and he was checking the phone thing out. He says that it is the BMW puck, and you're right I never noticed that all the people that were using them succesfully are E-Class owners.

He said there were like 4 error codes in the communication system, and we were thinking that was the problem, but he says now it's just fine, and everything checks out, but when he puts in the BMW puck the systems shuts down.

So he was in the process of installing an MB one they had there when I last talked to him to see if it would work, I left my cell phone with him so he could pair it, and try.

Will know for sure tomorrow.

Thanks,

RoydRage
Old 04-13-2007, 06:28 AM

SL55
Talking That's It !!!

Well...

This was a Major Pain! But Rajah996, was right all along. I should have never listened to the E55 owner who reported that the BMW V60 Bluetooth adapter worked... Maybe it works in the E Class cars... But that WAS THE WHOLE PROBLEM.

I finally got the MB Puck, and it worked in 2 seconds just like Rajah said.

At least this this recommended software installed in the phone... The Razr has full compatibility... Phone book downloads to the car, and is displayed, caller ID works, and there is full functionality with the steering wheel buttons.

Thanks all...

Best,

RoydRage
Old 04-13-2007, 10:47 AM

Glad everything finally worked out for you. Now do you think we are still extortionists... I was just trying to help you out not be your enemy, Im here to give information not make money. AWS did not have me come on here I came on here at freewill since I am an enthusiast.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:25 PM

SL55
Wink Kinda Sorta

Glad everything finally worked out for you. Now do you think we are still extortionists... I was just trying to help you out not be your enemy, Im here to give information not make money. AWS did not have me come on here I came on here at freewill since I am an enthusiast.
Yes,

Everything work out, and the voice quality is outstanding... Everyone I talk to through the car loves it, they hear no echo like I've heard people say. The only hiccup is that there are 3 names for each name in my phone Book.

And if you pick the phantom name, you get an error on the call.

I wasn't accusing you personality, and I believe you are here without being put up to it by the company... My issue is the expensive price just because the phones you sell don't have current software in them, and have the older software that was tested with the device.

Your company is capitizing on that... If they were really there to help, then they would only charge what the phone companys charge their customers for the phone... I got mine for $50... AWS wants $300 for the same phone with older software, with which the phone does not work as well BTW. Is that fair?!? I don't think so...

Another option would be offering to install the correct software on the customers phone, for a nomianal fee, say $20 or $30.

Just because we have to pay $1,000 for a brake rotor... Doesn't mean that everyone should jump on the bandwagon, and price gouch... We are being Reemed enough!

Best Regards,

Royd
Old 04-14-2007, 04:06 PM

Well let me give you more insight. When you buy a phone at retail without a upgrade or new activation you would pay $299 for the phone from Verizon. So AWS sells the phone for retail price of $299 and offer discounts but not as big as Verizon because they are a much larger store who sells them in a much larger volume. AWS is in the business to make money not to just be here to offer support, that is how businesses work you make money to survive.
With you wanting AWS to flash the software into phones that isnt something we can do because we dont even flash the phones we carry. What AWS does is buy the phones from Motorola with the correct SW so we can insure Mercedes customers complete compatiblity with your bluetooth or cradle system.
Finally I understand the prices are high but understand this, if most people can afford a 80K + vehicle they typically can afford a $380 BT device. Look at Audi's website the Bluetooth option is $800 and the BT is built into the headunit unlike mercedes where you have the option of doing the bluetooth or cradle because there are customers who prefer cradles, because they are old fashion and that is what they had in previous vehicles. We can go around and around about it and its just a contest of who's **** is bigger.

Yes,

Everything work out, and the voice quality is outstanding... Everyone I talk to through the car loves it, they hear no echo like I've heard people say. The only hiccup is that there are 3 names for each name in my phone Book.

And if you pick the phantom name, you get an error on the call.

I wasn't accusing you personality, and I believe you are here without being put up to it by the company... My issue is the expensive price just because the phones you sell don't have current software in them, and have the older software that was tested with the device.

Your company is capitizing on that... If they were really there to help, then they would only charge what the phone companys charge their customers for the phone... I got mine for $50... AWS wants $300 for the same phone with older software, with which the phone does not work as well BTW. Is that fair?!? I don't think so...

Another option would be offering to install the correct software on the customers phone, for a nomianal fee, say $20 or $30.

Just because we have to pay $1,000 for a brake rotor... Doesn't mean that everyone should jump on the bandwagon, and price gouch... We are being Reemed enough!

Best Regards,

Royd
Old 04-15-2007, 10:16 AM

SL55
Exclamation

Im here to give information not make money. AWS did not have me come on here I came on here at freewill since I am an enthusiast.

Well let me give you more insight. AWS is in the business to make money not to just be here to offer support, that is how businesses work you make money to survive.

Finally I understand the prices are high but understand this, if most people can afford a 80K + vehicle they typically can afford a $380 BT device. We can go around and around about it and its just a contest of who's **** is bigger.
Ok... So which is it?!? In your prior post... You are NOT HERE TO MAKE MONEY.. ONLY HELP PEOPLE! Now in your second. YOU"RE HERE TO MAKE MONEY... Which is it... I believe the latter... AND... Charging people on the basis of what they spent on something else is called price gouging, and you just proved I was right in accusing your company of that the first time. A price should be based on what you are getting for the money, NOT WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD!

Secondly... I don't apprieciate you coming off like a Smart A$$, And I don't know who's **** is bigger... But I can assure you this... If you were in front of me, (which can quite possibly happen!) You wouldn't be running your mouth. That I Promise you.

We don't need you on this forum peddling your wares, and lining your pockets... End it now... cause flights are keep. and I'm not kidding.

RoydRAGE

Last edited by RoydRage; 04-15-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:48 AM

Great story...
Im not being a smart *** Im telling you the truth, it's how you take things. I can run my mouth as much as I want its a public forum, it seems as tho I am testing your patience and maybe your name speaks for itself.
You can fly out here as much as your want, but I can assure you that a threat can easily be seen by your outtakes on this forum and your post. So in a court of law I would watch what you say cause I was never threatning you nor was I giving you wrongful information.
When I say "Who's **** bigger" it was joke, not lets measure up and see who's **** is bigger. You really need to lighten up and laugh every so often in your life.
Lastly I say AWS is not here to make money meaning on this forum to make money, yes AWS is a business and to make money. I dont know what way to put it in for you to understand. Let's just end this now because we are going absolutely nowhere, you got it done, your happy, everything is said and done.
Ok... So which is it?!? In your prior post... You are NOT HERE TO MAKE MONEY.. ONLY HELP PEOPLE! Now in your second. YOU"RE HERE TO MAKE MONEY... Which is it... I believe the latter... AND... Charging people on the basis of what they spent on something else is called price gouging, and you just proved I was right in accusing your company of that the first time. A price should be based on what you are getting for the money, NOT WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD!

Secondly... I don't apprieciate you coming off like a Smart A$$, And I don't know who's **** is bigger... But I can assure you this... If you were in front of me, (which can quite possibly happen!) You wouldn't be running your mouth. That I Promise you.

We don't need you on this forum peddling your wares, and lining your pockets... End it now... cause flights are keep. and I'm not kidding.

RoydRAGE

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Phone