SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Ticking/Friction Noise in Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL 500
Ticking/Friction Noise in Wheel

Every now and then I am having a ticking/friction noise in my front driver side wheel. Sounds like something is rubbing. It is sometimes evident when I pull into parking lots and have my windows or top down. Strange thing, it only happens once in a while. I think it may have something to do with the breaks because sometimes if I hit the breaks a certain way the sound will stop. I have 29 K on the car and I have not switched tires or had break work done yet. Has anyone else had these kind of noises coming from their wheels. When it happens, it's like everytime the wheel turns once, I get a light rubbing noise.

Thanks to everyone who replies!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 PM

2003 SL500 2005 G55
I had that exact same problem with my SL about 2 years ago. I brought it to the dealer 3 times and they kept thinking I was crazy and I was hearing things, they also kept asking me if I use wheel cleaner and that could be the problem. Every now and they I would hear this rubbing sound like "shh shh shh" and it seemed to happen alot when I came off the high way. Finally I took my dad for a drive and even he heard it and I brought it back to the dealer and they took a closer look and found that a little peice in the rotor was bent alittle bit. So bring it to the dealer and tell them to look at the rotor/brake.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55, 360 Spider, NissanTitan
Wink

I think I know what the problem is - ask your dealer to replace your breaks with brakes. I bet you'll see a tremendous difference in the way your vehicle stops!

Sorry - couldn't resist
Old 05-18-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I have had this issue since I bought my car. I hear it when I am going slowly and cutting the wheels, usually when I am parking. It is a ticking, clicking sound. I have given up complaining to MB service about it.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:03 AM

05 Sl600
Originally Posted by JackStraw
I have had this issue since I bought my car. I hear it when I am going slowly and cutting the wheels, usually when I am parking. It is a ticking, clicking sound. I have given up complaining to MB service about it.
Same problem here! I took mine to the dealer they changed some bearings still the same problem!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by cmos
I think I know what the problem is - ask your dealer to replace your breaks with brakes. I bet you'll see a tremendous difference in the way your vehicle stops!

Sorry - couldn't resist
It's amazing how many times I see this mistake...kind of
Old 06-16-2007, 08:23 AM

2005 SL 500
Last week, I was in my driveway slowly pulling up to the garage and the rubbing noise was driving me crazy. While going 3-5 MPH, I jammed on the brakes. The car jerked to a stop. Ever since, I have had absolutely no rubbing noise at any speed.

I was wondering what the stop could have done to correct this problem. The problem was weird because the rubbing noise didn't always happen. Only once in a while, but two weeks ago, it was happening on an almost daily basis?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:53 AM

'09 E93 335i
I have an issue like this on my SL as well. I thought it was brakes, however, I now am sure it's the new two-piece forged wheels I just had installed. When we changed the wheels to stock loaners, the noise went away. I can't imagine what would be making noise on the wheels, but it has to be the wheels. We re-torqued all the bolts holding the wheels together as well as the lug bolts, but still the noise appears intermittently. We also checked the lug bolts for length and they are not too long and not rubbing against the brake assembly. The only thing I can think of is the surface of the wheel that makes contact with the surface of the rotor is emitting some kind of metal to metal squeaking noise.

Maybe this is the case with some of you that are experiencing this? New wheels?

I don't know, but if anyone comes up with a solution, I would be interested as well.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:01 PM

2005 SL 500
Just brought my car in for its yearly service. I let them know about the rubbing (shh, shh, shh) noise that came from my front wheels sometimes. It is a known problem that there is a memo out on. They replaced some piston and spring and the problem is fixed. If you are having the same problem, tell your dealer to look up problem/defect memos for the 2005 SL. Ask them to search under breaks squealing/screaching and they should find the same memo that my service person showd to me.