SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: XM radio in SL550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS430, GL450, SL550
XM radio in SL550?

My wife does not like the Sirius radio that came with her SL550; she had XM in her previous car. Has anyone out there put XM radio in their SL550? If so, how was it implemented?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Audi R8, '09 SL63, '10 GLK, '10 ML550
I am with your wife on that one! My SUV and my home stereo both have XM Radio and our SL and GL have Sirius Radio. My husband and I both hate Sirius Radio. The DJ talk is so over-done and I don't know where they get some of their music!

I had the same question last year when I bought my SL. On this forum, I have only seen the after-market radios you buy at Circuit City, etc. And I have only seen SL owners installing the radios themselves. I wouldn't trust anyone to install an after-market radio in our Mercedes, so we live with the Sirius radio in the Mercedes and the XM everywhere else. Another down side; you loose the capability of the radio navigation buttons on the steering wheel if you install an after-market radio. There certainly isn't a XM head unit (that I know of) that will work in an SL.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It isnt the head unit that controls

XM or Sirius. There is a transmitter that apparently plugs into the fiber optic cable. From what I understand, XM does not make a unit that plugs in.

I bought my wife a Roady XT and Best Buy installed it perfectly. No you don't get to use the steering wheel controls or see your selection on the Command screen, but that is the price to pay for GOOD sat radio. The unit uses the FM radio to play, but its better that the constant fade out and poor programming with Sirius.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
I will NOT even buy a vehicle that only offers XM satellite radio. For example, I was recently thinking about replacing my Range Rover with a refreshed Cayenne. But, Porsche only offers XM in their SUVs, so that one's out.

If you're a true music lover, there's no comparison to Sirius, either free or pay, that I've ever been able to find for the depth and breadth of programming and musical knowledge of their hosts.

I never listen to the talk channels or Howard or Martha, and rarely listen to the sports channels, maybe an occasional NFL game.

I guess we disagree!