SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: WTF!? The top won't go down.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 287 Likes on 218 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
I would start a new thread with your location and ask for some recommendations for shops that can do the job.

The main roof mechanism is pretty robust and I have not heard of anyone having an issue with it. It is possible that one cylinder has an internal bypass leak that is trying to skew the roof in operation, but that is pretty easy to diagnose. I do not see a separate part number for the hinges and the dealer is typically not going to use salvage yard parts, so if a hinge IS bad their solution would be to order an entire new roof (prices in the range of $20k). An independent is going to laugh at that and get a used hinge from ebay or a local yard for a couple hundred bucks.

Worst case is that there is some collision damage and the windshield or c-pillar hinge mount locations are not were they should be. This would require some frame machine work to put it back right, but I am very doubtful that is the problem.

Based on the dealer diagnosis, I'm assuming that the roof is moving, but not wanting to move freely or not mating up with the windshield properly?