SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL repair costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL repair costs

I am trying to figure out the cost of repairing/replacing the following items on a 03 SL500. Of course there will be much guesswork in the estimate. A range would also be helpful. Any input is appreciated.

1 tail-light with a crack to be replaced;
new brake pads;
adjustment switch of steering wheel position is not working;
driver seat shows quite some wear (replace the seat would be tough, right? with all the wiring, etc. What about a new cover?);
need a key for the glove compartment.

How much would everything above cost me at a MB dealership? What about third party garages? Are we talking $1K or $5k?

Many thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should let us know where you're located. Some cities, like Los Angeles, there are so many good aftermarket shops which will do better (and cheaper) work than dealerships. Either way, approximate numbers

1) about $400 for the part, labor time is about 1.5 to 2 hours. Dealer will kill you on the labor.
2) Brake pads are cheap (I can't remember the price, $80?), problem is that the dealer will insist you need new rotors and or a brake fluid flush. Changing out brake pads alone is a simple 1 hour job. You do the whole brake pad, rotor, brake fluid flush, it'll run you $1.5k to $2k. You can get this done at any independent party shop. It requires no special tools and is simple.
3) That's going to be rough to diagnose and fix. Would likely take it to the dealer.
4) Replacing the seat is really really really expensive. You're talking about special order parts. Labor will also be prohibitively expensive. You can take it to a custom upholstery shop and they can replace the worn leather with material that's very similar to OEM. Will likely lower resale value.
5) I thought the key to the glove compartment was part of the key fob? It's the part that slides out? I never locked my SL glove compartment, so I may be wrong.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Almost a Member!

I am in the NY/NJ area.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
whats up elviento, welcome to the forum. i might be able to help you out. i just took off my tail lights on my 05 sl and there perfectly fine. i just upgraded to the 07 lights. if your interested i could sell you mine and maybe show you how to change them out if your good with your hands. i could save you a lot of money and you can help me re-coup some of my cost. lol. p.m me!

btw. i live in queens N.Y.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:56 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by elviento
driver seat shows quite some wear (replace the seat would be tough, right? with all the wiring, etc. What about a new cover?)!
You can purchase just the cover for the seat, and it isn't difficult to install.

I would take the car to a trusted independent shop instead of the dealer.

You may have problems finding a non-Mercedes shop to change your brake pads because of the SBC system. It has to be deactivated as a prerequisite to doing any work.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:19 PM

2010 G55
Originally Posted by jl88
the dealer will insist you need new rotors and or a brake fluid flush.
I have the same issue. Why does dealer insist on changing the rotors and flushing the SBC? I never heard of car with 32k miles having such problems. I guess I need to change pads only. Or am I wrong in terms of SL500?