SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Wierd stuff going on with my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Wierd stuff going on with my car

Hi Fellas, am new to the world of SL's, and I have a couple of questions maybe someone could shed some light on:

1) Whenever I close the trunk, all I do is push it down a little and let the suction do the rest of the work until I hear an audible click. Lately, it doesn't seem to do it anymore, and I have to resort to slamming it shut, sometimes with some force. Funny thing is that after driving it for a while, it works again. This is driving me nuts! Has anyone else seen this happen before? Also, is this feature standard across all SL's or is it a chargeable option like the automatic trunk closer?

2) After driving around some, I pull into my parking lot, turn off the engine and sit there admiring the workmanship of this fine automobile. There is silence in the car. From somewhere behind me, maybe in the trunk even, I cannot help but notice a very small, faint "thud-thud" at regular intervals of about 10-15 seconds. Sounds like a heartbeat, and it doesn't seem to go away, even as I sit there in my car listening! Again, is this normal?

Please help, any info would be helpful! THanks!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:30 PM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
Exorsism! Its the only option.

Seriously now it does seem like there is a switch or sensor that needs adjustment. If I shut my trunk to softly the auto closing feature doesnt activate. I have to shut it harder. So some switch gets activated. Dosen,t the 07's come with the button to shut them like my ML? I know it doesn't like to be shut manually.
The other noise doesn't sound normal either. It isn't a cooling exhaust system? Hopefully its not a motor for the trunk trying to shut the lid. I do get some noises from the airmatic suspension after shutting down while it settles in.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
What model year ?

Sounds like your trunk assist has failed.
Could be anything for a loose line to a switch or the pump.
Dealer time.

Noises in the trunk ? Could be the trunk assist again?

Just understand how complicated this car is.
Stuff happens. As long as its simple stuff not so bad.

Sounds to me like someone slammed your trunk and pissed off your trunk assist. The thing that makes the trunk Suck Shut. Should be worse case
a couple hundred if the pump is gone.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:44 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by bltserv
What model year ?

Sounds like your trunk assist has failed.
Could be anything for a loose line to a switch or the pump.
Dealer time.

Noises in the trunk ? Could be the trunk assist again?

Just understand how complicated this car is.
Stuff happens. As long as its simple stuff not so bad.

Sounds to me like someone slammed your trunk and pissed off your trunk assist. The thing that makes the trunk Suck Shut. Should be worse case
a couple hundred if the pump is gone.

Gosh! I think you hit it on the nail! I just came from my mechanic and he suspected the same! That probably explains why sometimes my trunk lid doesn't suck shut. This Trunk assist or what my mechanic calls the "inner lock" of the trunk needs to be replaced. He says in the SL, one pump does everything around the car, and so is easily broken. However, if that hasn't broken, the lock can easily be replaced. I checked out the price, came out to about 100bucks. Not too bad...
Apparently, this happens alot on the S-class.
Thanks for you inputs!