SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Radar,one more

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar,one more

Yeah, thinking seriously about getting the V1 and having someone wire it to the overhead lamp assembly (as one of our members at least has advised).
Does anyone in NWUSA both install and keep these units in stock?
Just too long a ride to Cali, Im headed east anyways.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:29 PM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
I just got the passport 9500. The Gps is really a handy feature. No false alerts after the first time. At all.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:22 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
good idea

i have my v1 mounted above my mirror with the conceal display kit in the dash. its great. but while your'e at it should should install a good quality laser jammer, because most highway patrol cops are using laser which makes any radar detector virtually useless.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:38 AM

Ok, so are you suggesting on the highway cops are depending on a line-of-sight view of the car with lazar guns?
Isnt your Valentine telling you when they zap the cars in front of you?
If you slow down then why the need for jammers? Are jammers legal?
What do you use?
Im planning on getting one sent out prob tomorrow, then I'll have more educated questions.
tanx
Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
yes to your first question, when you see the highway cop parked perpendicular to the road, with the window down and he's aiming his gun at eye level, its a laser gun!!
his line of sight can be over a mile away and you wont even notice him as you fly down the road until its too late. usually they're waiting for you after you come over a hill and bam!!

laser beams from laser guns are relatively small compared to regular ka, k. or x band radar. so there isn't much scatter for early warnings. if your reallly lucky you may get a reflection from another car that will set your v1 off, but you will probably think it was a false alarm.
also since there is no warning until your hit and a laser gun gives instant readings, there is no time to slow down. thus the need for a laser jammer.

i was skeptical about getting one because i thought is was a scam like rocky mountain radar scramblers. but after my brother and i did extensive research, it was a must have.

laser jammers are new and are only illegal in about 5 states. i live in new york and there not illegal here.
trust me i love my v1 and have had it for years but with the increase in laser use my cops, especially here on nyc"s and long islands highways, laser jammers are a must!!

i have blinder laser jammers which are good. i put them both on my work vehicle and my sl and they have saved me from several direct hits! do some research there are other brands out there too.

i know i sound like a sales person for laser jammers but im not. im just a regular guy who has had my share of speeding tickets (not for excessive speeds, just the regular 15 or 20 over our low 50mph speed limit) and with the cost of insurance in NY i don't need anything raising it up.

gd luck
Old 08-28-2007, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by allminesl550
Yeah, thinking seriously about getting the V1 and having someone wire it to the overhead lamp assembly (as one of our members at least has advised).
Does anyone in NWUSA both install and keep these units in stock?
Just too long a ride to Cali, Im headed east anyways.
You have to get the Valantine from the company directly.

As fas as mounting it and hard wireing, its very easy. Mine is mounted on the sun visor and I hard wired it into a hot wire under the dash. It was a simple matter of running the wire behind the A pillar, and getting it under the dash and locating an appropriate wire to tap into. The whole process took roughly 1/2 hour.

PM me if you need help.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 PM

V1

Yeah, thanks for words of wisdom, she's in and workin fine, real clean.
Ill be alright, not crazy like I used to be.
125 is usually my upper limit anyway!