MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Breaks Screech like crazy!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/208051-breaks-screech-like-crazy.html)

"The Don" 08-31-2007 05:50 PM

Breaks Screech like crazy!!

Does anyone have this problem? My breaks screech all the time! I have an SL 550 w/AMG package. My CLK never did this, and I was told by the dealer that it is break dust, I cleaned out the wheels and the screeching seems to go away, but for only 3-4 days, then it's back once again and it's quite bad. My boss has a brand new CLS 550 and his car does the same thing.

I was told by a friend in the mechanic business that the break pads are soft and provide better stopping power, however they build up more break dust causing the screeching sound. Someone else told me to get Porsche break pads when these go and the problem will go away.

Any suggestions? Help is greatly appreciated!!!

Murtaza 08-31-2007 08:38 PM

I've taken my car in 3 times to get rid of it, they failed each and every time. In fact, the last time I took it in they made it worse even though they replaced the pads and rotors (or so they say). Fletcher Jones suck.

I just don't have the time to deal with it anymore, engine braking helps...:nix::smash:

Good luck.

SLster 09-10-2007 08:45 PM

I endure the same brake squeal from time to time. Seems to be better after I wash brake dust from the wheels. I spray water into the calipers to remove as much dust as possible.
From what I understand, it is common due to the brake dust.

StephenK 09-10-2007 09:56 PM

Ditto

Originally Posted by SLster (Post 2405209)
I endure the same brake squeal from time to time. Seems to be better after I wash brake dust from the wheels. I spray water into the calipers to remove as much dust as possible.

I do the same thing and it seems to really make a difference.

SL2003driver 09-10-2007 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by "The Don" (Post 2391932)
, I cleaned out the wheels and the screeching seems to go away, but for only 3-4 days, then it's back once again and it's quite bad. !

I take my cars to a local wash that is touchless with a good bottom blast and wheel cleaner. Sounds like you need to find one of these and wash your car every 4 days.

allminesl550 09-11-2007 11:01 AM

a word to the wise

You're going to hate me, but my car's brakes work perfectly with no noticeable sounds at all. I have to admit I babied it for the first 3,000 miles and set them in nicely, this may have something to do with it. In general the harder you drive a car the more time you'll spend in MBs waiting room. Of course they may not bother mentioning this since their under-qualified-just-out-of-high-school help need new cars to practice on!
I agree there is a lot of dust coming out of there, not to mention the black soot I constantly find on my rear bumper after just 100 miles, Chri$t, when is this going to stop! It shows readily on white cars, just run your finger over the back bumper and you'll see what I mean, yuck. Have I got to live with this forever?
Never wash your SL and leave it wet back there and drive off, otherwise the exhaust dust will become practically glued on.

WordSmith 09-14-2007 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by SLster (Post 2405209)

I do the same thing but add one more step: I first use an air compressor and spray air into the calipers. It seems to get the dust out, but makes a mess. I do this BEFORE I wash it. It really cleans out the brake dust for maybe a week to 10 days before the noise comes back.

IngenereAMG 09-14-2007 11:49 AM

You may need to bed them in a bit, but if you switch to Porterfield R4S compound, you will have less noise and no brake dust.

WordSmith 09-14-2007 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG (Post 2410580)
You may need to bed them in a bit, but if you switch to Porterfield R4S compound, you will have less noise and no brake dust.

I've heard that the ultimate solution is to switch to something similar to what you suggest. I'll have to give it a try.

th550 09-14-2007 07:42 PM

Mine started squeeking about 3 weeks after I got it and I thought I was going to have to take it to the dealer to have it checked. But being the procrastinator that I am, I put it off and put it off. After about another month, they stopped squeeking on their own. They have been perfectly quiet since then. Not sure if that would be the case for everyone, but mine are fine now.

kokanee 09-15-2007 04:10 AM

Mine (SL) only squeak when cold or babying the car. Run it up and stomp on the brakes hard a few times - no more squeak! After a sedate city drive in the ML the rotors are not even hot. They need a lot of work to heat up.

Television 09-15-2007 04:24 PM

The reason that the brakes squeak is due to resonance of the pads.

The correct cure is to apply the special grease to the piston faces in the caliper and to the metal shim plate.

The never squeak when the pads are installed correctly

"The Don" 09-18-2007 09:02 PM

Thanks Everyone for all your help!!!

Miki-SL500 10-01-2007 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by kokanee (Post 2411642)
Mine (SL) only squeak when cold or babying the car. Run it up and stomp on the brakes hard a few times - no more squeak! After a sedate city drive in the ML the rotors are not even hot. They need a lot of work to heat up.

yep, works every time ...

hellcat 10-01-2007 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by WordSmith (Post 2410159)
I do the same thing but add one more step: I first use an air compressor and spray air into the calipers. It seems to get the dust out, but makes a mess. I do this BEFORE I wash it. It really cleans out the brake dust for maybe a week to 10 days before the noise comes back.

Make sure if you're going to use compressed air that you wash the rotors afterwards. Compressed air has compression lubrication in it that is essentially like spraying a film of oil on your rotors along with the air. It MAY not be enough to be dangerous but I personally don't like the idea of a layer of oil on the one thing that stops my car.

WordSmith 10-02-2007 03:37 PM

Thanks for the tip!!:zoom:

KIRA 10-02-2007 09:38 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=76D_tZ3c-Z0

LOL, like my??? :D

Murtaza 10-02-2007 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brabus_x2 (Post 2438296)

Wow thats insane:rolf::rolf::rolf::rolf::rolf::rolf:

I hope you've had it fixed, haha.