SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL500 ESPN2 TV Show Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrysler 300 SRT8
SL500 ESPN2 TV Show Car

OK, so I just registered here so I think an introduction is in order. My name is Joe Distinct and I am from Distinct Motor Sports on Long Island. I joined the forum not as an MB owner, well I guess I am since I have a Chrysler and technically it is Daimler Chrysler..., anyway, I joined to ask all of the true MB enthusiasts and owners your opinions and thoughts.

I am building a custom show car for an upcoming TV show for ESPN2. I choose a 2005 SL R230 as the car of choice. I am building this car as an example of the work we do in the high-end luxury and exotic automotive market. I need all of you to help me choose some of the products for the build.

I do want to explain that I am in contact with all the major companies that are well now for the MB upgrades which are all sponsors here and that this thread is just a way for me to ask the experts, you guys, what you think the latest and greatest upgrades are for the vehicle.

Thanks for the help~
Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
Welcome to the forum. I don't mean to be mean, but I don't think many people here would agree with you when you say you own a Chrysler 300 and it's a MB because of partnership (which no longer exists). On the other hand, I don't any MB owner would say he/she owned a Chrysler.

Last edited by Dragoncoach; 10-25-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:34 AM

Chrysler 300 SRT8
Originally Posted by Dragoncoach
Welcome to the forum. I don't mean to be mean, but I don't think many people here would agree with you when you say you own a Chrysler 300 and it's a MB because of partnership (which no longer exists). On the other hand, I don't any MB owner would say he/she owned a Chrysler.
I have no problem with you saying that. Especially since I dropped this on you guys here as a newbee. I love the MB, but have you ever driven the 300 SRT8?? Great car. But that's not why I am here... my new car is the SL500.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by DistinctRides
OK, so I just registered here so I think an introduction is in order. My name is Joe Distinct and I am from Distinct Motor Sports on Long Island. I joined the forum not as an MB owner, well I guess I am since I have a Chrysler and technically it is Daimler Chrysler..., anyway, I joined to ask all of the true MB enthusiasts and owners your opinions and thoughts.

I am building a custom show car for an upcoming TV show for ESPN2. I choose a 2005 SL R230 as the car of choice. I am building this car as an example of the work we do in the high-end luxury and exotic automotive market. I need all of you to help me choose some of the products for the build.

I do want to explain that I am in contact with all the major companies that are well now for the MB upgrades which are all sponsors here and that this thread is just a way for me to ask the experts, you guys, what you think the latest and greatest upgrades are for the vehicle.

Thanks for the help~
Do you want to build it for show, go, or both... if both, which one is more important? What style do you want to go for (race, exec, VIP...)? Whats your budget, and how far are you willing to go? Is this going to be strictly a trailored show car, with occassional runs/dynoes, or a daily driver as well. Are you going to build a custom sound system on it?

Also, there is going to be a major face lift in a year. With that said, you have several options:

1. You can either keep the existing old front end of yours, and work with that.

2. You can wait for the new one to come out, do a full front end conversion. Hold on to that front end for a few months and wait for bodykits for that new front end to come out.

3. Or if money isnt an issue, do both.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:03 AM

Also, do you have any sponsorships for this project that obligate you to use any specific parts? Do you have any intentions to obtain any sponsorships?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 AM

07 SL55, 1954 Corvette, 09 E350
Joe, good luck with your project for the show.
I visited your web page and it looks like you do fine work. The black Maserati really looks nice.
If you work with the existing sheet metal clean up some of the lines.
Go for a classic look rather than adding wings or flares.
Most of all give her a paint job that is different but tasteful. Use a color that MB does not use that will make her stand out.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:41 AM

I have no problem with you saying that. Especially since I dropped this on you guys here as a newbee. I love the MB, but have you ever driven the 300 SRT8?? Great car. But that's not why I am here... my new car is the SL500.

Well that's DIFFERENT! Welcome to the forum! Great car choice. We look foward to seeing your project car and await your posts and input. Haven't driven the 300 SRT8 but know it is pretty fast.

Last edited by Dragoncoach; 10-26-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:10 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
hey Joe, welcome to the forum. thanks for choosing my ride for your project! lol

I'm local. here in queens, so maybe i will get to see some of your work in person.
at least update the front bumper.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:18 PM

Chrysler 300 SRT8
Wow guys, thanks for the warm welcome! I am very excited about this project and aim to build a complete show winning SL R230 that represents Mercedes well. To answer some of the questions the build will include all aspects of performance and style. My goal is to completely re-do the entire vehicle from head to toe improving on an already pretty perfect automobile... quite the challenge. My goal is actually pretty simple. To build a stunning completely custom vehicle that looks as if it rolled off the dealers showroom floor like that. That's the way I like to customize my cars. Yes I am in touch with companies for sponsorships so I would need to use their parts. I haven't committed to any of them yet which is really why I am here.. to get your feedback on all the available products. I have to start the build in a week and a half and complete it by December 16, so the waiting for the new body mods is out of the question. I have to work with the aftermarket products on the market right now. Any suggestions.....????...

Last edited by DistinctRides; 10-26-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:23 PM

Chrysler 300 SRT8
The first day of filming and the grand opening of the show is on Tuesday November 6 and is actually being held at my shop. If nothing else come out and see the virgin SL and get a chance to be on national television. Nobody has done a Mercedes build like this before so it's a cool opportunity check it out. PM me if interested.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
The first day of filming and the grand opening of the show is on Tuesday November 6 and is actually being held at my shop. If nothing else come out and see the virgin SL and get a chance to be on national television. Nobody has done a Mercedes build like this before so it's a cool opportunity check it out. PM me if interested.
Welcome, All the best for your project
I respect your goal / decision to keep your creation to "as if it rolled of the MB show room floor". No brag just fact the MBWorld board has some great talent, just the other day a member here posted this fantastic car
SL500 ESPN2 TV Show Car-b58_big.jpg

Thanks M3911T
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....02&postcount=1
Old 10-27-2007, 02:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Great idea to build a SL500. I personally think the body style of the 230R is one of the best looking cars made. I would not mess with the original SL230R design with weird custom bumpers or body add ons. Keep it pure and clean. I would go with a paint job like on the new special silver ceramic that Mercedes is only offering on that special addition car. Then I would go to work on any problem areas, for the standard car more power (super charger addition, etc.) beef up the trans to handle the added power. New Nav, control unit with all the goodies, big CD/stereo upgrade. Suspension tweak like on the SL65. The best looking custom wheels but not rubber band skinny tires. Post some of your options on here like possible wheel choices and let the members vote on the wheel choice you should select. Redue the interior with leather everywhere and make it the best leather you can get with a wild special color. JMHO

PS - welcome to the forum and please post your website so we all can see your work and watch your progress on the SL
Old 10-27-2007, 02:35 AM

The custom made carbon fiber front grill looked pretty cool.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:45 AM

Interior
Custom colored leather and suede seats. Re-wrapped custom dash with fiberglass work to enclose new sound system. Entire center console fiberglassed for custom guage pods and headunit and monitors. Maybe even wrap the fiberglass over with a layer of carbon fiber to finish off the touch. If the colors are going to be bright, maybe even paint over the carbon fiber, but leave some accents of the carbon fiber showing.... for that feeling of "Yeah, its all CF baby... but I dont have to brag about it." Speakers in the kick pannels and doors. Make use of the space behind the seats and do a custom fiberglass enclosure. Change out the four spoke wheel for a three spoke SLR wheel. Thats one thing I never got... the SL is supposed to be luxury AND sporty... but why the four spoke wheel and not a three?

Engine
Model the motor after what Fisker did. Fisker took Kleemann and made such an amazing setup, that it makes Brabus look like a simple K&N intake filter upgrade.

Kleemann will immediately enhances the V8 engine's power output from standard 306 Hp and 460 Nm (340 lb-ft) to up to 455 Hp and 585 Nm (433 lb-ft) with out any other modifications. Fine tune the motor, up the boost, chip it, headers, exhaust, cam shaft and stronger valve springs to push it over 500 Hp.

Exterior
If you have the AMG style kit, you can keep it. If not, upgrade to the newer 2006 AMG style bumper. Theres a slight difference, but to those who know, its very obvious. If you want your SL to stand out from the rest... VITT, for the win!!! The VITT 07 wide edition is sexy as hell!!! If you want to step it up even more, do the VITT 07 Super Wide. IMO, if you go with the Super Wide, modify their fender so its not as tacky, and put the OEM SL fender vent back into it. And none of that LSD scissor doors. Is WAY too common, and expected for the SL... because of its older brother, the SLR. But if you want the doors to go up, then dont make it like every other scissor door, but have it swing upward like the actual SLR does. Kind of a "scissor/gullwing" door. I've seen it done on the SL before, but I cant remember where.

Wheels and suspension
Custom 20" forged wheels with an aggressive offset with an insane deep dish to fit with the widebody. I doubt you'll be able to use any of MHT's wheels. And even if you can... PLEASE DONT!!!! Not if you're going to go all out. Name brand asside, maybe if you can get them to custom make a multi peice wheel with the size and offset to get that deep dish staggered look. I doubt they'll be able to pull it off. Go HRE's or a name brand thats worthy of the project. And brakes and suspension, Kleemann has some insane stopping power. Vented and cross-drilled 2-piece discs: 15" (380 x 34 mm), 8-piston forged calipers in the front, and 13" (328 x 28 mm), 4-piston forged calipers in the rear.

I just gave you a rough outline/blue prints to what I wish I can do to my dream SL. Theres alot more, but those are the main things I would do. If you do all the above, I doubt you'll finish it by the end of the year. Just buying the custom fit wheels will take about 2 months (if you go HRE or most other high end brands). Outside major manufactures, like Fisker, Brabus, and Kleeman, I have never seen an SL that done up. If you can go that far, and market the project well, it could become famous.

Last edited by Silverbolt; 10-27-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:25 AM

Chrysler 300 SRT8
Dudes, you guys are all awesome! This is exactly what I wanted you guys to tell me. I would say that my proposed build is at about 80% matching exactly where you guys are all at. I absolutely respect the MB forum and all of you guys. BTW .... https://mbworld.org/forums/sho...02&postcount=1 .....Sick looking ride!!

I know what you are saying about the LSD vertical doors and I already spoke with Renn Tech who is the company that actually makes what they call the scissor or butterfly doors. They very much resemble the SLR gull wings. Another company called Opera Designs makes them as well. I do have a few different opinions about a few things some of you said which is to be expected. I really want to focus here on the aftermarket products available and personal experience you guys have with them. This car I am actually building as a show car for my company and this TV show, but it's actually a clients car. So it's important that I build it as a show and go car. With that I will have 2 different sets of rims so that the really expensive low profile rims and tires don't get damaged on the streets.

I will be dyno testing the car stock (which we all know is about 305 HP) and after upgrades. My goal is to dyno over 475 HP. Between supercharger, ecu, intake, intercooler and exhaust, I should get there. I need to look into beefing up with tranny to handle all that though. Great point SL2003driver , I confess I overlooked that in this preliminary stage.

I don't want to mention who’s products I will be using yet because nobody committed to me yet and I still need more feedback. Keep it coming boys...
Old 10-27-2007, 08:41 AM

Dudes, you guys are all awesome! This is exactly what I wanted you guys to tell me. I would say that my proposed build is at about 80% matching exactly where you guys are all at. I absolutely respect the MB forum and all of you guys. BTW .... https://mbworld.org/forums/sho...02&postcount=1 .....Sick looking ride!!

I know what you are saying about the LSD vertical doors and I already spoke with Renn Tech who is the company that actually makes what they call the scissor or butterfly doors. They very much resemble the SLR gull wings. Another company called Opera Designs makes them as well. I do have a few different opinions about a few things some of you said which is to be expected. I really want to focus here on the aftermarket products available and personal experience you guys have with them. This car I am actually building as a show car for my company and this TV show, but it's actually a clients car. So it's important that I build it as a show and go car. With that I will have 2 different sets of rims so that the really expensive low profile rims and tires don't get damaged on the streets.

I will be dyno testing the car stock (which we all know is about 305 HP) and after upgrades. My goal is to dyno over 475 HP. Between supercharger, ecu, intake, intercooler and exhaust, I should get there. I need to look into beefing up with tranny to handle all that though. Great point SL2003driver , I confess I overlooked that in this preliminary stage.

I don't want to mention who’s products I will be using yet because nobody committed to me yet and I still need more feedback. Keep it coming boys...
I just replied to your pm.

And the link above wasnt working.

Yeah, the RennTech and Opera doors are sexy! If or when you get them. Post a video of them openning and closing. I'm really currious to see how smooth and practical they are.

Marketing wise... I think the most important thing in this project is to give the car character/uniqueness. It has to be "known" for something. It has to be Distinct. If its far away enough from the crowd, and with the upcomming air time... Use that to leverage for big name sponsorships... promissing possible future magazine spreads/cover shots. With the air time and magazines, everyone will know the Distinct SL, and your name will be everywhere. With the money you'll be making from the sponsorships, and from the new found fame, open up another shop over here in California, where the scene is strongest. And since I'm also here near L.A., out of the kindness of your heart, you can fix up my SL too
Old 10-27-2007, 07:49 PM

Chrysler 300 SRT8
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
I just replied to your pm.

And the link above wasnt working.

Yeah, the RennTech and Opera doors are sexy! If or when you get them. Post a video of them openning and closing. I'm really currious to see how smooth and practical they are.

Marketing wise... I think the most important thing in this project is to give the car character/uniqueness. It has to be "known" for something. It has to be Distinct. If its far away enough from the crowd, and with the upcomming air time... Use that to leverage for big name sponsorships... promissing possible future magazine spreads/cover shots. With the air time and magazines, everyone will know the Distinct SL, and your name will be everywhere. With the money you'll be making from the sponsorships, and from the new found fame, open up another shop over here in California, where the scene is strongest. And since I'm also here near L.A., out of the kindness of your heart, you can fix up my SL too
Sounds good bro! So I am hard-core shopping for the SL. What are the differences between the 03 and 04 SL R230? I don't htink the 05 is in the cards for me because of just how big the total build is going to be.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Sounds good bro! So I am hard-core shopping for the SL. What are the differences between the 03 and 04 SL R230? I don't htink the 05 is in the cards for me because of just how big the total build is going to be.
Get the SL55, you won't have to do the engine mod's for performance or the transmission upgrade, because it is already beefed up. The difference between the cost of the SL500 and the SL55 2004 is less then the cost to upgrade the SL500 and it will save you time. Plus you won't have to do some of the body upgrades because the SL55 comes with the AMG body upgrades, bumper, etc. JMHO
Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 AM

To my knowledge, theres no differences in outer appearance. I dont think there were really any changes from the 03 and 04. Anyone want to correct me if I'm wrong? If this is going to just be a project car for marketing and shows, you might want to consider buying one with a salvaged title at an auction or something... to save you some extra money. I'm sure you can easily find some with some minor water damage. Just a thought I had, so you can take the savings and add it to making more mods.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Get the SL55, you won't have to do the engine mod's for performance or the transmission upgrade, because it is already beefed up. The difference between the cost of the SL500 and the SL55 2004 is less then the cost to upgrade the SL500 and it will save you time. Plus you won't have to do some of the body upgrades because the SL55 comes with the AMG body upgrades, bumper, etc. JMHO

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. But if this is going to be a car hes going to use to market his business, he'll get very little, to no attention marketing a stock SL55. All the things you metioned he should avoid, are the main points hes going to want to show off the most. As a customer, I'll see that if I give him time and money, he'll give me engine mods, tranny upgrade, body upgrades, etc. Just a simple SL500 with rims and lambo doors is already more marketable than a stock SL55.

Last edited by Silverbolt; 10-28-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Joe, If I may say something, and may you not take it as being negative, but I am wondering if you are talking about Car Wars?

Assuming that you are, and you being a businessman, I will ask you to get some business advice first and step away from the project to you actually have a business plan from them and one for you, including marketing. You are about to go down a path of a business loss, and if you have the funds to toss away, then go for it, but i promise your ROI (return on investment) will never mature. over the build you are competing with 5 other shops for about 3 hours of air time, that they could care less about one thing you do from your shop. I have a good friend who was just approached by them also, and when they sat down to look at it from a business, they declined. And I promise you, their work is more than just hanging some lambo doors and adding some rims. I further have an acquaintance that has already done it, if you need their contact info to confirm, i can put you in touch with them. Let me know
Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 AM

Chrysler 300 SRT8
Originally Posted by jbondox
Joe, If I may say something, and may you not take it as being negative, but I am wondering if you are talking about Car Wars?

Assuming that you are, and you being a businessman, I will ask you to get some business advice first and step away from the project to you actually have a business plan from them and one for you, including marketing. You are about to go down a path of a business loss, and if you have the funds to toss away, then go for it, but i promise your ROI (return on investment) will never mature. over the build you are competing with 5 other shops for about 3 hours of air time, that they could care less about one thing you do from your shop. I have a good friend who was just approached by them also, and when they sat down to look at it from a business, they declined. And I promise you, their work is more than just hanging some lambo doors and adding some rims. I further have an acquaintance that has already done it, if you need their contact info to confirm, i can put you in touch with them. Let me know

Indeed it is CAR WARS. However, I very much disagree with everything you have said. I have a friend who did the show a little while back and has seen an increase in business. If you approach this opportunity correctly and take advantage of all the opportunities that go along with it, it could be very beneficial. If you simple look at it as you did, you will gain nothing. I already lined up several different events that will take place during the taping including customizing a celebrities new Bentley Flying Spur. If you capitalize on an opportunity and do absolutely everything you possible can to showcase you and your business... it will be successful. But thanks for your opinion.

Aside from this show we are working on a full fledge reality show all on my business. This is a good stepping stone for my company if nothing else to just open some eyes as to what we are all about and what we can do.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I wish you the best of luck on this, and may it turn out like you want.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:18 PM

Chrysler 300 SRT8
Originally Posted by jbondox
I wish you the best of luck on this, and may it turn out like you want.
Thanks man!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
W163 W164 R230
Check out this for some unusual mods .... the SLR upgrade .... side exhausts, etc....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
slr_1.pdf (249.0 KB, 650 views)
slr_2.pdf (222.8 KB, 249 views)
slr_3.pdf (216.0 KB, 222 views)
slr_4.pdf (195.9 KB, 238 views)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: SL500 ESPN2 TV Show Car