SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: How "significantly" will the SL 5 series change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
What other cars have ragtops? The obvious one is the Bentley GT but I think most everyone will agree (even those who have one) that putting a ragtop on that car takes away from the car.....however, it is a Bentley in the end.

I guess I think of like an old Chrysler Sebring when I think of a ragtop.

I thought about the XK too but those things depreciate like crazy. They have 2006's going for the 30's now. I know it is the old body style but I bet within a year that car is in the 50's. I also looked at the XLR but those are like in the lower 30's now....pretty good car for that price but those who bought it for 70k new are morons.

Cy....what if were easy to update the front end with a new bumper, grille, headlights....etc. to the new SL look......would you keep it then?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
Originally Posted by mjr24
What other cars have ragtops? The obvious one is the Bentley GT but I think most everyone will agree (even those who have one) that putting a ragtop on that car takes away from the car.....however, it is a Bentley in the end.

I guess I think of like an old Chrysler Sebring when I think of a ragtop.

I thought about the XK too but those things depreciate like crazy. They have 2006's going for the 30's now. I know it is the old body style but I bet within a year that car is in the 50's. I also looked at the XLR but those are like in the lower 30's now....pretty good car for that price but those who bought it for 70k new are morons.

Cy....what if were easy to update the front end with a new bumper, grille, headlights....etc. to the new SL look......would you keep it then?
Examples of high line rag tops are: Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Maserati, Bentley, Jag etc.

I drove the new XK and its not my style...I had a previous generation XK and hated it (sold in 6 months).

To be honest I can afford the lease on a 2009 face lifted SL...its just that I don't really like the fact that most of the car remains the same while the front is changed to conform with the other model's styling cues...by the time I buy a new hood, fenders, bumpers, grills, diffuser, lights etc...it will be more effective for me to just lease a new one. Then I have to worry about the real new SL coming out in just a few years.

The 6 series just seems bigger and bolder to me then my SL...a little funky but its style has really grown on me. Size is an issue and it fits me like a glove in accordance to what I need. The only thing I don't like about it is the soft top, but most high line brands still use them so what can you do?

When it really comes down I think the SL is a tad bit higher on the status food chain since it has a bit higher base price and is offered as a 200k AMG version...just not enough to make me consider getting a 6'er a downgrade...its more of lateral move due to its current price point and reciprocal flagship essence.

Im still unsure what to do.....but I can assure you I will probably own the "R231" if it looks like I think it might. I will not go to the dark side forever...lol

Last edited by CY; 01-01-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by CY
Examples of high line rag tops are: Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Maserati, Bentley, Jag etc.

I drove the new XK and its not my style...I had a previous generation XK and hated it (sold in 6 months).

To be honest I can afford the lease on a 2009 face lifted SL...its just that I don't really like the fact that most of the car remains the same while the front is changed to conform with the other model's styling cues...by the time I buy a new hood, fenders, bumpers, grills, diffuser, lights etc...it will be more effective for me to just lease a new one. Then I have to worry about the real new SL coming out in just a few years.

The 6 series just seems bigger and bolder to me then my SL...a little funky but its style has really grown on me. Size is an issue and it fits me like a glove in accordance to what I need. The only thing I don't like about it is the soft top, but most high line brands still use them so what can you do?

When it really comes down I think the SL is a tad bit higher on the status food chain since it has a bit higher base price and is offered as a 200k AMG version...just not enough to make me consider getting a 6'er a downgrade...its more of lateral move due to its current price point and reciprocal flagship essence.

Im still unsure what to do.....but I can assure you I will probably own the "R231" if it looks like I think it might. I will not go to the dark side forever...lol
Just hate to see the bangers in LA slicing the top on your new 6er
Old 01-01-2008, 09:57 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Just hate to see the bangers in LA slicing the top on your new 6er
I know...and Im that guy who worries about his car at all times...lol. Maybe just keep it tint-less and have nothing of value in sight? When I had a R129 I really did worry about leaving things out...after getting the R230 I was immediately in love with the conv. hard top function. I guess after a few years I sort of take it for granted.

Last edited by CY; 01-01-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:18 PM

2003 SL500 2005 G55
what color 6 are you thinking about...I like the white....when i was thinking about buying one i went to look at a white one with the red interior...it was very sharp looking
Old 01-01-2008, 08:00 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
The white 6 cab is truly awesome....I would go either Black, White, Silver or Gray. Black or White are my first choices since Ive had silver for a while now.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:02 PM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by CY
The white 6 cab is truly awesome....I would go either Black, White, Silver or Gray. Black or White are my first choices since Ive had silver for a while now.
I liked my '06 650 Cab. I like the SL55 way better.
Attached Thumbnails How "significantly" will the SL 5 series change?-650.jpg  
Old 01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by teeth
I liked my '06 650 Cab. I like the SL55 way better.
Wow...thats a brutal pic. Luckily you and your family are OK right?

How long did you own the 6'er.

What color was your 6'er...what color is your SL?

Also did you consider/test drive the conv. M6 at all? A SL55 vs. 650 isnt really a fair comparison due to the fun factor of the powerful 55 engine.

Last edited by CY; 01-01-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by CY
Wow...thats a brutal pic. Luckily you and your family are OK right?

How long did you own the 6'er.

What color was your 6'er...what color is your SL?

Also did you consider/test drive the conv. M6 at all? A SL55 vs. 650 isnt really a fair comparison due to the fun factor of the powerful 55 engine.
Everybody is OK. 3 kids, 2 dogs and a bird. Not so for the house. It's gone. We took nothing out. No time.

I owned the 6 for about 18 months. It was Silver-Gray. The SL is Pewter.

I did test the M6 but did not like the SMG. My '03 M3 had SMG, which is wonderful and horrible all at once. When accelerating hard, it works great. Around town, it's a pain. Very lurchy. At the time M6's had no stick or automatic option. I think you can get a stick now. I also think that the M6 Cab (and my 650 for that matter) is strange looking from the rear. The top looks like a bad toupé. I do miss the heads-up display and the iPod integration. Amazing that the SL has no iPod option (I tried, they refunded) or AUX jack. I occasionally miss the back seat, too.
Attached Thumbnails How "significantly" will the SL 5 series change?-house.jpg  

Last edited by teeth; 01-01-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Thank God you, your family and pets are OK- that's what matters.

After 18 months in a 6 I'd be ready fro a SL as well...I get sick of cars really quick.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by CY
The new R8 and Maserati are on top of everybodys list but the price is horrible due to mark ups. Also in regards to buying another soon to be "old body style" AMG R230, that is out of the question..I have had this car for too long and want a change, as well as a slightly bigger car....not to mention the main issue which is the 2009 front end rebody. The soft top safetly issue in LA does bother me....good point. Its just that the conv seems to look a bit more expensive to me for some reason, not to mention I live in Southern CA...which is always top down weather.

On the 6'er forum I noticed a lot of SL to 6 conv converts....
I wouldn't go from an SL to a 650 or M6 cab. They are soft tops and still heavier then the SL550/55.

I would rock the coupe tho, it looks slick. I almost went for a 650 before getting the SL.

Still though, the interior holds no flame to an SL with berry red and the hardtop never gets old
Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by Murtaza
I wouldn't go from an SL to a 650 or M6 cab. They are soft tops and still heavier then the SL550/55.

I would rock the coupe tho, it looks slick. I almost went for a 650 before getting the SL.

Still though, the interior holds no flame to an SL with berry red and the hardtop never gets old
Damn bro...I am stuck between the coupe and conv..the conv just seems more comparable to a SL??? The rear of the conv top looks like a Ferrari or something...
Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 PM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by CY
Damn bro...I am stuck between the coupe and conv..the conv just seems more comparable to a SL??? The rear of the conv top looks like a Ferrari or something...
Here in San Diego, I have the top down most of the time. If you don't plan on using the convertible much, get a coupe. Stiffer and lighter.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 PM

14 'E550
The 6 series got a refresh in 08 as said, what would be nice if BMW put the new TT V8 that's coming in the X6 (400hp/450lb-ft torque).....in the 650 as well for 09. I would hope to think they won't skip a model year, but wouldn't be surprised. As to keep the engine in one vehicle and work out any bugs before moving across the lineup.

But that engine would be very nice in the 650, we shall see.

Last edited by Beltfed; 01-02-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
ya, it's tough. i briefly considered the 6 a year or two ago since there are so many SLs around...

If I had seen one like LovinSL600's, I would no longer be in this forum! haha i also saw one of those anniversary CLs at the dealer and it was pretty nice. i think they were asking $250ish.

the soft top was the deciding factor for me and the fact that the 6s (at least the base models) come across as a lower end option. but they are definitely nice and I rarely hear anything negative about them.

unless you step up into the $150k-$200k range, (Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Bentley, etc.) your not really doing any -show stoppin'-.

my girlfriend picked up a new Yukon Denali that I like driving more than the SL and a neighbor just got a blacked out Prius with little black rims that cracks me up every time i see it. i work from home and drive about 50 miles a month on average (mostly to El Polo Loco and the local sushi place) so maybe a vespa is the way to go...

if you guys see me on PriusChat.com or VespaWorld.org next month, be sure to say hello! haha
Old 01-03-2008, 04:46 AM
SSS
Almost a Member!

2004 SL500
There is a 6 series and SL in the family. (2004 SL500 & 2007 650i) Both metallic black, the 650i is a coupe because the convertible top doesn't look that good. Both cars are rock solid, the SL has had some issues with hardtop operation but hassel free warranty took care of all that.

The sound system in the BMW is way better than the SL. The NAV works better in the 650i. The 650i feels heavier than the SL, and it seems more quiet overall. (Then again, I don't think I ever drive the SL with the top up, so not a fair comparison)

The 650i is striking looking, sharp, aggressive, new, sleek and strong. I particularly like the long front end and sleek side profile. The SL is a timeless classic design, distinctive, practical, classy and rich with tradition.

Power deliver wise I think the Bimmer does a better job. The auto tranny in the BMW (not SMG) is way smoother than the Mercedes 6 speed AT. Ride comfort is comparable between the two. I the air ride in the SL though. I'll love it until it craps out on me one day.

The BMW carries 2 adults very comfortably and 2 other people not as comfortable but not bad at all. (headroom and shoulder room in the rear is 'acceptable' only) The SL is harder to get in and out of, sits lower and has no back seats. Practicality wide the BMW wins hands down.

The hardtop on the SL is way better than the soft top on the 6. Try riding in the backseat in a convertible 6, and after about 10 minutes you'll realize why 4 seater convertible don't really work as you'd imagine. Constant wind in the face after 10 minute gives me headache and paralized facial skin. Talking with the top open in the backseat will result in your saliva running backwards into your ears.

Overall I would take the SL over the 6 any day, the 'feeling' you get from driving the SL is way better than the 6. I think they are completely different cars, the 6 might be more comparable with the CLK instead of SL. It's sort of strange to cross shop between the two cars.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:21 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
There are many many people who seem to cross shop these two cars. Also Ive seen a conv M6 in person thats identical to LovinSL600's NM edition and I hate to say it but it looks more bad *** then most R230 SL's Ive seen. Dont get me wrong: The SL is pure class and a timeless design...just not has hardcore to me as that NM M6. Im probably just jaded though after having my SL for so many years. Maybe Ill join mikeblah on the Vespa forum soon enough and be done with all of this nonesense!

Last edited by CY; 01-03-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 AM

2003 SL500 2005 G55
I know you like the conv. but I think i would go with the hardtop myself....it looks more sleeker....but the cool thing i like about the conv. is that you can keep the top up and roll down the rear window.......I was never a conv. fan myself anyway I rarely drop the top on my SL pple say im nuts but to me the SL looks alot hotter with the top up...but if you want to go for comfort and you like the conv. then go for it....but for style I like the hardtops....
Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by Guido1986
I know you like the conv. but I think i would go with the hardtop myself....it looks more sleeker....but the cool thing i like about the conv. is that you can keep the top up and roll down the rear window.......I was never a conv. fan myself anyway I rarely drop the top on my SL pple say im nuts but to me the SL looks alot hotter with the top up...but if you want to go for comfort and you like the conv. then go for it....but for style I like the hardtops....
Personally I think it looks great top up or down. That to me is one of the most brilliant things about the R230.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:55 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by Murtaza
Personally I think it looks great top up or down. That to me is one of the most brilliant things about the R230.
Agreed...if the 2009 SL wasn't just a re-bodied 2003-2008 I wouldn't have this dilemma since I would want the new one. You still thinking about the Aston?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:43 AM

I was seriously thinking about stepping up from a 335i to an SL55. I've had the bimmer for 9months but for some reason Im getting tired of it. I want more car. Maybe seeing every soccer mom, secretary or high school kid here in SoCal driving a 3-series makes my twntrbo 3series look mundane. So, I was seriously looking at getting an SL55 until I saw a 6er with the Hamann body kit. Almost speechless, very nice. I always thought the 6 wasnt that nice looking and appeared clearly cheaper than the SL. But I have noticed 6s are definately "rarer" for some reason here than SLs AND with that Hamann kit it's got me more confused than ever. I've been a long time bimmer guy (owned 4 before) but have liked the SL for a long time now the coming change Im just not sure. This'll be my dailybeater. So Im also on the fence and cant decide. For the same price used maybe a Gransport? I don't know, continued input would be great.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 AM

SL500 2003 Designo (sold), SL500 2004, Nissan GT350
Originally Posted by Swil
For the same price used maybe a Gransport? I don't know, continued input would be great.
Are you talking about the Masarati Gransport? This was my second choice. The SL won out because the Gransport convertable is a rag top. I hate rags.

Last edited by lovemysl; 01-16-2008 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 AM

04 SL55, 05 NSX, 05 996TT, 03 RR HSE, '08 S550
Had a 6er previously...now SL55 (nuff said)
Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Personally, I'll never sell my '05 SL55. I actually never planned on buying one. I just bought it out of the blue one day. Now I think the world of it. That's why I'm willing to spend a lot of bank to beef it up and make it that much more special. Of course, this is not my daily driver. I might put 3-4k miles on it per year. I guess that's why I still like it.
I didn't buy it only to sell it and upgrade later. I think this car will stand it's ground 10-20+ years from now. If anything, I'll purchase a new SL or whatever MB replaces it with, in 10 years, but I'll still keep my '05.
Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 PM

2003 SL500 2005 G55
well said..........Im the same i could never get rid of my SL its too senimental and would be hard to part with...I will buy other cars but ill never get rid of my SL........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: How "significantly" will the SL 5 series change?