SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Purchasing an SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG, BMW 523
Purchasing an SL

Hello all. Let me start by saying I'm JEALOUS of every single one of you owners out there.

I'm currently contemplating getting a SL. I have 2 choices ... a SL350 which I can order or a used SL500. The SL is Silver with a grey interior. Looks fantastic. Its got 9000km on it and it was purchased back in Febuary of this year. The price about the same for both cars.
Any suggestions of which I should pick? Out here in taiwan there really isn't anywhere that you need the bigger engine for.
What are the differences? I understand the new SL350's have a new transmission. Sort of like the SMG from BMW.
Little changes that have occurred would definitely help my decision. Such as radio, bugs, fixes, etc.
The SL500 is available now, the SL350 would be delivered in January.
Wish I still lived in the States ... I'd get a SL55 for the same price as the 350 out here!
Old 11-21-2002, 08:11 AM

BMW 535d Touring
My 2p's worth....

Heart set on SL55 AMG, but too expensive for me, settled on an SL500 but had to wait too long so ordered an SL350. Then started comparing things (wrong way round).

SL350 much cheaper, saved more than £14,000 (U$22,000) on same spec SL500 which is going towards another car, but its 0.9 secs slower 0-60, and less mid-range grunt. Don't think its exactly underpowered, the 3.7 Litre engine has had some good initial reports and it sounds good apparently, but it is half the power of the SL55. Keep in mind the SL is a heavy car. The 350 is about 15% more economical (not a great consideration), and probably better resale later if history repeats - I ordered sequentronic which I wanted, except since learnt one drawback is the gearbox even in auto mode disconnects power to traction during changes in the same way as a clutch, even tho' its electronic. That's a bit disconcerting if the safety devices switch out as a result. Waiting for more details.

SL500 still a major car - but personally would suggest a new-to-you 350 might be a better choice longer term, and you get a spec & colour choice. However, if the SL500 has already taken the brunt of some initial depreciation it could be a very sound buy. Don't believe there are a lot of bug issues, but they should be fully sorted in a new car.

Theres a lot of people here with very different views & experiences so I hope you get some good direction.....

Last edited by Mustard; 11-21-2002 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
You mentioned that the price of the used SL500 and the new SL350 is about the same.
Don't know how the options are included in Taiwan on the SL350, but in Germany you get a barebones car that misses a lot of important options. NO Active Body Control (a must have) no leather or wood trim, no metallic paint.

So make sure that the features you want are included in the price comparison.
Personally I had a SL320 which I sold to get a SL500 and what a difference!

With the SL320 I always felt that I had to step on the gas to maintain speed and passing acceleration was terrible. I still have the same issue with our ML320. The SL's are just heavy cars...

BTW, Mustard, I was amazed to see that the gas milage turned out to be about the same with both SL's; I guess I must have always pushed that 6 cylinder engine

Every recent review I have read in the US reflects my own opinion (new E, M, CLK class). Get the V8 if you can, it rides smooth and has plenty of power when needed.

You won't regret it
Old 11-26-2002, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
For me, the prime reason to get a high performance car is the ability to overtake safely.

Driving in Europe is very different from the US (don't know about Taiwan), you're much more likely to find yourself on an undivided road, stuck behind a queue of cars stuck behind a fully loaded truck waiting for the road to clear to overtake. The ability of the car to dispatch the whole lot of them in a single application of the right foot is compelling, it makes for much more relaxed and safer driving. The power of the SL350 is not so far removed from that of the SL500 but it will take the edge off performance.

The new SL350 will depreciate less than a *new* SL500 over, say, 3 years. The old R129 SL320 depreciated less than the equivalent SL500 and the SL600 (which fell off a cliff). In your case, the SL500 has already lost some, and will lose less during your ownership than a new SL350.

As Wolfman says, the SL500 spec is higher, and if you put the deleted items back into an SL350, you'll end up with a car which is more expensive than the used SL500.

In your position, and the more I think about it, I would go for the used SL500. 9000 km is nothing, providing the car is in mint condition otherwise, no dings or chips, scuffed wheels or leather.

Last edited by blueSL; 11-26-2002 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:00 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by Wolfman
Personally I had a SL320 which I sold to get a SL500 and what a difference!

With the SL320 I always felt that I had to step on the gas to maintain speed and passing acceleration was terrible. I still have the same issue with our ML320. The SL's are just heavy cars...

BTW, Mustard, I was amazed to see that the gas milage turned out to be about the same with both SL's; I guess I must have always pushed that 6 cylinder engine

Good points. You are probably right about the gas mileage - the unstressed V8 might even have been better than the SL320. It was a thirsty lump. I am going off the published factory figures and rechecked - its about 10% different.

I'm hoping too, the extra HP of the 3.7 litre engine will improve matters all round. If not, I'll get a 500, but I am mean, and saving $20,000 for similar performance does appeal, as does the far better value retention here in England.

Last edited by Mustard; 11-27-2002 at 03:02 PM.