SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Engine Undercover Piece Missing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:13 AM

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
2023 GLE450
Engine Undercover Piece Missing

I hit a road sign that had been lying flat in the roadway the other day. When I did it took a small chunk out of the black plastic material that is under the engine towards the front. Is this critical?

Thanks

brian
Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SL500
undercarriage covers

Some of the underneath panels are fiberglass and some plastic. The fiberglass panels can be repaired, the plastic ones replaced. They have no mechanicalbearing on the car from what I can see, other than to protect the underneath components from scraping on speed bumps, etc. Surprisingly, some of the front plastic pieces are inexpensive. I replaced a damaged front inner fender piece (there are two per side in the front, a front and rear for about $50.00. I would not get stressed over scrapes and cuts on the fiberglass pieces.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
2023 GLE450
Originally Posted by Steven
Some of the underneath panels are fiberglass and some plastic. The fiberglass panels can be repaired, the plastic ones replaced. They have no mechanicalbearing on the car from what I can see, other than to protect the underneath components from scraping on speed bumps, etc. Surprisingly, some of the front plastic pieces are inexpensive. I replaced a damaged front inner fender piece (there are two per side in the front, a front and rear for about $50.00. I would not get stressed over scrapes and cuts on the fiberglass pieces.
Thanks. It's just a small chunk missing. I didn't know if it server a greater purpose.

Brian