SL/R230: Problems with trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500 AMG, ML 320
Angry Problems with trunk

Hello,

I have a problem with my trunk, it doesnt close itself anymore (the way when the trunk is supposed to "suck" itself until its closed after you just push it down). I hope you know what I mean because I have no idea how its called.

Dealership advised me to change the entire trunk-closing system, but its a bit pricy.

I needed to change my battery after 2 months, and it started working again itself. And a week later (yesterday) it stopped again.

Can anyone give me any advice what the problem could be or has anyone ever had similar experience before?

Big thanks for help!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
Had the same problem in 12/06. Had the PSE pump replaced under warranty to cure the problem. Problem occurred again in 12/07 then they said it was a faulty trunk latch assembly. hmmmm. I am suspicious as to what exactly was done the second time.
Glenn
Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
i had the same problem on my '03.

took it in and they charged me about $150 to investigate. then told me the latch was completely broken and that it would be about $450 to fix.

when i got home the trunk started working again! hahaha joke's on them!

that lasted about a month and then it stopped again. joke's on me.

i just close it myself now the once a month i actually have to get in there.

i just feel lucky that the roof still works
Old 03-28-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by mikeblah
i had the same problem on my '03.

took it in and they charged me about $150 to investigate. then told me the latch was completely broken and that it would be about $450 to fix.

when i got home the trunk started working again! hahaha joke's on them!

that lasted about a month and then it stopped again. joke's on me.

i just close it myself now the once a month i actually have to get in there.

i just feel lucky that the roof still works
damn, that sucks. Good luck on the problem
Old 03-30-2008, 02:06 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by tonisist
Hello,

I have a problem with my trunk, it doesnt close itself anymore (the way when the trunk is supposed to "suck" itself until its closed after you just push it down). I hope you know what I mean because I have no idea how its called.

Dealership advised me to change the entire trunk-closing system, but its a bit pricy.

I needed to change my battery after 2 months, and it started working again itself. And a week later (yesterday) it stopped again.

Can anyone give me any advice what the problem could be or has anyone ever had similar experience before?

Big thanks for help!

One of 2 things can be the problem. The first and more probably is the pump in the trunk. It doesn't take but a 30 min job to replace it. This is the same pump that controls auto door closing if you have, the lumbar support in the seats if you have, and also the door locking system which you have. This pump has been known to break after a couple years. The other less probably cause is the locking mechanism on the trunk lid itself. This take 10 mins to replace. With your trunk open, manually push in the latch at the bottom of the mechansm until it clicks in place simulating the latchng of the trunk. Pull the lever as if to open and see if the latch springs open. If it does after a few tries then your problem is probably the pump.

Once you have had this repaired, 2 pieces of advice:
Disable Lumbar support, your pump lasts longer.
Never slam your trunk shut. Lower it and then push down on it just hard enough for the "sucking" to take over.

Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:41 PM

SL 500 AMG, ML 320
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the help! Will try to change the pump asap!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:22 AM
SSS
Almost a Member!

2004 SL500
Just wondering guys, does every SL has this function? My 04 SL500 either has a broken vacuum pump or it is not actually equipped with this function. Is there any way to check this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 600 640bhp/1000Nm
Originally Posted by SSS
Just wondering guys, does every SL has this function? My 04 SL500 either has a broken vacuum pump or it is not actually equipped with this function. Is there any way to check this?

Thanks in advance.
I belive this is a standard feature. At least in Europe.
My 02 SL500 had is as well as my 04 SL600.

Nicke
Old 04-15-2008, 03:24 AM

SLK55AMG
Originally Posted by SSS

Thanks in advance.
When my secondary trunk lock went I didn't have the secondary problems that BlackOnBlack refers to. It was pretty obvious to me because:

A. The trunk wouldn't lock all the way and had to be manually secured with ye olde key in lock.

B. The roof wouldn't open.

C. The trunk-open warning displayed in the OBC.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:32 AM
SSS
Almost a Member!

2004 SL500
Thanks for the help. I'll bring my car back to the dealership to get it looked at.