SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2008 SL 600 vs 55 & 65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 SL 600 vs 55 & 65

I'm interested in a 2008 SL, but now that the 2009's are here it will be harder for me to test drive all 4 models, let alone drive them on extended trips. I've already eliminated the 2008 SL 550, but I still wonder how the SL 600 compares to the 55 & 65? I mean, they seem so similar, are there any major differences...Who were each built for? (I'm no track racer) Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I own an SL55, and we tune all of the cars that you are talking about.

The 600 has a tremendous engine, and responds incredibly to ECU/TCU tuning, but the suspension is dialed in more on the soft side. It still has ABC like the AMG cars, but not as stiff.

The 65 is a great car, but as a package I think that the engine overwhelms the show. The chassis set up is sporting, but the weight of that engine in the nose doesn't let the car dance very well on a windy road. If you want a big engine that has even more room on the tuning side this is a great choice.

The 55 I believe is the best overall package. It is definitely the sports car of the 3, and the engine sounds wonderful, even in stock trim. These engines can be tuned without great difficulty to near 65 levels, but the car is much better balanced and the handling belies its weight. This a good choice if you like straight line speed, but also enjoy some fun in the twisties. I have managed to pull similar lap times as a Z06 on a road course..... Myself and the Z06 driver were both instructors, so we were fairly equal.

I hope this helps......
Old 06-06-2008, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I own an SL55, and we tune all of the cars that you are talking about.

The 600 has a tremendous engine, and responds incredibly to ECU/TCU tuning, but the suspension is dialed in more on the soft side. It still has ABC like the AMG cars, but not as stiff.

The 65 is a great car, but as a package I think that the engine overwhelms the show. The chassis set up is sporting, but the weight of that engine in the nose doesn't let the car dance very well on a windy road. If you want a big engine that has even more room on the tuning side this is a great choice.

The 55 I believe is the best overall package. It is definitely the sports car of the 3, and the engine sounds wonderful, even in stock trim. These engines can be tuned without great difficulty to near 65 levels, but the car is much better balanced and the handling belies its weight. This a good choice if you like straight line speed, but also enjoy some fun in the twisties. I have managed to pull similar lap times as a Z06 on a road course..... Myself and the Z06 driver were both instructors, so we were fairly equal.

I hope this helps......
That’s a great comparison and I totally agree!