SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: First roadtest of SL350....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
First roadtest of SL350....

Autocar roadtested the SL350 and conclusions as expected i.e. buy a 500. The good bits include:

".....the SL350 is a spirited performer. I did 700 high-speed miles, swapping 350's with an SL500 every few hours, and was surprised and impressed by its ability to keep up. Indeed, the 500 will not lose the 350 unless you drive with a commitment that has no place on our public road"

...even on steel (compared to air) the SL is impressively comfortable and crisp for a car more sporting than sports. But with air springs it is just superb, and for the first and only time, convincingly trumps the SL500, whose engine is not only heavier but carries the extra weight exactly were you don't want it, ahead of the front axle. .On air the SL350 turns into corners with an alacrity bordering on the astonishing for a softly sprung, heavyweight cruiser like this"

"those who want the full and authentic SL experience, that sublime concoction of big power and low effort, there is no substitute for the 500."

Oh, well, decided to stick with the SL350 and save £12,000 - wife won't want more to drive and I get a wiff of the true experience 'till I can get my pass signed for an AMG...
Old 12-17-2002, 03:26 PM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
thanks for the look
Old 12-17-2002, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
maybe their final recommendation is to buy the sl500, but your excerpts certainly do not necessarily damn the sl350.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
No apology required for buying an SL350. You can also enjoiy the fact that it will depreciate less than an SL500, never mind the SL600 which so many people are getting into a lather about. Yes, I know, the SL55 will depreciate too

Haven't read the article, any comments about the lack of ABC, Mustard?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:21 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Yes BlueSL, yes a few comments about ABC, and you were right..

"even on steel (compared to ABC) the SL is impressively comfortable and crisp for a car more sporting than sports....But with air springs (ABC) it is just superb, and for the first and only time, convincingly trumps the SL500, whose engine is not only heavier but carries the extra weight exactly were you don't want it, ahead of the front axle. .On air (ABC) the SL350 turns into corners with an alacrity bordering on the astonishing for a softly sprung, heavyweight cruiser like this..."
Old 12-18-2002, 10:20 PM

flinstones
how much is the SL350 in US dollars?
Old 12-18-2002, 10:48 PM

Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts
SL65(R231), SL65(R230), 600SL, 560SL(86), 560SL(89),250SL(68),250SL(67), 190SL, 300SL(GW)
Is the new SL350 engine a 4 valve design? Does anyone know the timetable for the conversion back to the 4 valve design? Any info on GDI?
Old 12-19-2002, 04:52 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by Mike P
Is the new SL350 engine a 4 valve design? Does anyone know the timetable for the conversion back to the 4 valve design? Any info on GDI?
The 350 engine is exactly the same engine as the 500, minus two pots. So 4966 cc / 8 x 6 = 3724 cc. Same bore, same stroke, same 3 valves/cylinder. Interestingly, being 90kg (200 lbs) lighter, the power to weight ratio is 144 ft lbs/ Ton, c/f the 500's 166, so its a much quicker car than expected. The autobox is not well mated, apparently.

GDi in the new VW's/Audi's is apparently producing extraordinary fuel consumption v power figures in their endurance racers. Suspect the MB V6 and V8 engines will be a few years behind on this technology, perhaps because MB have not been quite so active in its promotion. But it sure would make a lot of sense on these engines if they can get high speed metering right. It is not yet in F1 engines because of the metering problems.

They may also be trying to skip GDi and go straight to Fuel Cell technology.

Did you know that in the 50's the Mercedes-Benz 300SLR had GDi? Derived essentially from aircraft technology, it was ignored for years despite the SLR's success.

Last edited by Mustard; 12-19-2002 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Finally got this review. I think the author's got it wrong by referring to ABC as air springs. The SL500/55 do not use air springs, they use helper steel springs to carry the bulk of the cars weight and a hydraulic device which provides adjustable damping and spring rate. ABC is much more about providing dynamic control of the car's suspension depending on what the body is doing.

That aside, it's clear ABC benefits this car hugely, in terms of cornering, anti-squat and anti-dive and in improving the ride. The more I drive my car, the more astonished I am with the ABC. By comparison, the old SL600 rolls and wallows and the F355 is like a farm cart. Truly, an astonishing achievement.

I think it would be a brave person who orders the new transmission without trying it first.

Overall, I think de-contenting this car to create blue sky between it and the SL500 has been a real challenge. There are some things, the bulk of the cost, which cannot be changed and I do wonder whether the compromises on the areas they have butchered are too great.

Also, the SL350 is only 8.5% more economical than the SL500 which means that engine is working rather hard.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:14 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by blueSL

Overall, I think de-contenting this car to create blue sky between it and the SL500 has been a real challenge. There are some things, the bulk of the cost, which cannot be changed and I do wonder whether the compromises on the areas they have butchered are too great.

Also, the SL350 is only 8.5% more economical than the SL500 which means that engine is working rather hard.
I had the feeling he thought it was air suspension rather than assisted suspension - two totally different systems.

Frankly, on rereading, the reviewer, German I think, appears confused about a number of things, especially the reason for the car in the first place .

I don't know quite what you mean by "the bulk of the cost". Between the lines I thought he was trying to say the lack of air suspension (ABC) did NOT really affect the car as much as expected, but adding it back reduced the price advantage. He certainly didn't think it wallowed or swayed without it.

I thought he made the point that the gearbox did the engine no justice, and that it worked a lot harder as a result. To be expected. And yet it still covered ground well. You are absolutely right about trying the boxes first.

His beginning and conclusion that this is more a poseurs car than a drivers car is perfectly correct. It is. I suspect it might be far more popular new and second hand as a result, and thats the shame.

I now believe this car is probably £6K over-priced. But that won't stop it being the biggest seller next year.

Last edited by Mustard; 12-19-2002 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:01 AM

SL500
So, based on the article - ABC or not?

Mustard

You going to spec ABC or not? Its tempting, but I'm probably not going to bother for 2600GBP.

Glad its still got twin pipes at the back. It would have looked a bit funny if they'd deleted one.

Cheers
Old 12-22-2002, 09:17 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Nope, think I'll pass. Can't see that its that vital on this model, and the review did say it was a fine performer without it. My thinking is its one more very complex piece of equipment to go wrong, and I hear there are a few issues with reliability. The fact the car is lighter will help. I wouldn't be without it on the 500 or SL55, even if it was an option.

I'm a bit cost bound too. Trying to spec for later resale rather than performance. THe twin pipes did concern me, too, until I saw the pictures. Agree on that.

Only spec decision left for me is massage seats or comfort, but not both. Will probably delete the comfort seats. Summer in Cornwall is never that hot....

Last edited by Mustard; 12-22-2002 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:47 AM
Bilal

Is it not possible to have both forms of seats? If it is possible why not both? just think of the re-sale value?
Old 12-22-2002, 01:01 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by Bilal
Is it not possible to have both forms of seats? If it is possible why not both? just think of the re-sale value?
You can have both, I'm just trying to keep costs down! Would tick every option box given no restraint - feels ike 'ive done enough. Seems like comfort seats are less favoured than the mmmmassaging ones. And I don't want holes in my seats, 'cos knowing me I'll rip 'em, or fill them with cleaner or sumfink...
Old 12-22-2002, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
My reading of the review is a little different. It makes a strong case for the ABC, even though the steel springs make the car "impressively comforable".

The different character of the engine, concerns about the matching of engine to transmission and the different suspension show the compromises involved.

If you are looking to minimise depreciation, I wouldn't bother with either seat option. No secondhand buyer will set great store in either of these options in 3 - 5 years; colour and transmission will be much more significant.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:49 PM

BMW 535d Touring
well, As I said earlier, I like the idea of the massaging seats myself.

Take your point, it will be a better car with ABC but heres the thing, BlueSL, given the nature of this car would you put in ABC ahead of other extras, in the light of what a future buyer may or may not consider important? I believe a future buyer of the 350 will have different objectives. The performance s/hand buyer will always get the 500, the 350 buyer is not going to consider ABC as important as, as you said, colour, having an auto box, perhaps being swayed by er, TV, and probably fitted phone (although out of date by then) and certainly someother carefully chosen fancy bits & bobs.

This is giving me nightmares!
Old 12-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Mustard
well, As I said earlier, I like the idea of the massaging seats myself.
The performance s/hand buyer will always get the 500, the 350 buyer is not going to consider ABC as important as, as you said, colour, having an auto box, perhaps being swayed by er, TV, and probably fitted phone (although out of date by then) and certainly someother carefully chosen fancy bits & bobs.

This is giving me nightmares!
i think he brought back another good point. If you are thinking of resale i don't think you should slack of in speccing the 350 with comfort items. But preformence items beware because like many have said, A preformence minded buyer would go for 500, 55 or maybe even 600.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:08 PM
Bilal

Costs down?

Go to your dealer and ask him this:

"What is Contract purchasing?"
Old 12-22-2002, 04:36 PM

SL500
Interesting views - from a resale point of view.

I agree with Blue SL that the review favoroued ABC, but I'm now convinced its not worth it as any one who cares about that stuff will get an SL500.

I'm going to bin comfort seats, but spec massaging seats - I reckon they are probably worth it for a personal "wow" factor whilst I own the car, even if most second hand retailers won't care.

I can't remember mustard if your going for Auto, but I reckon that is probably the most important option for resale (& leather of course).

Main issue now is colour. I'm now a convincted Obsidian Black, Black hide, Black wood subscriber. But then again.....I always used to hate dark interiors........

My current car is Tansanite, but probably never again....
Also whilst I my current car has burr walnut and I would have sworn it was the way to go 6 months ago, I now think it looks dated in a current shape SL.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:38 PM

SL500
Tansanite vs Azurite

This perhaps should be another thread, but anyway....

I've had azurite and tanzanite benzs, and considering the later replaced the former, who agrees that the former was a MUCH better colour?
Old 12-22-2002, 06:00 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Re: Tansanite vs Azurite

Originally posted by NastyAluQuadra
This perhaps should be another thread, but anyway....

I've had azurite and tanzanite benzs, and considering the later replaced the former, who agrees that the former was a MUCH better colour?
I do, iIf you mean azurite is a better colour. he Tanzanite looks a little too purple, but you can spec a sand coloured interior. Makes the wood look better too. Don't like the ali on this car - naff. The black wood is too glossy as well. Mercedes-Benz does not do good wood, pity it wasn't like the new Land Rover.

I've gone for Jasper Blue - looks better everytime I see it. Close to Azurite, a little lighter perhaps. Have the equiv. on my current BMW with sand leather and its a good combo.

Auto a definite for this car IMHO. Total change of mind on this, plus the Sequentronic is delayed.

The SL looks good in Black - my wife's choice but too sombre for me. Classy, but somehow in the UK you never seem to see one that looks clean!

Last edited by Mustard; 12-22-2002 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:02 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by Bilal
Costs down?

Go to your dealer and ask him this:

"What is Contract purchasing?"
Does this keep costs down? How?
Old 12-22-2002, 06:10 PM
Bilal

well it will take time to explain and you its probably not to your liking but here i go:

You choose your brand new Mercedes and choose whatever you want, then the company takes the value of your vehicle and calculates 13.4 % APR on it and then adds to the total, then you say I wanna keep the car for 3 years. they then tell you what the value of your car will be in three years time with the given parameter of how much mileage you will do. You pay a deposit of however much you want

the final end value of your car they will deduct from your APR added total of your car, and then the difference you will pay over 36 months as a monthly payment, this will be lower than taking a loan.
after 3 years and all your monthly payments, you can then give them the final payment of 20 grand or whatever teh final value of your vehicle is and keep the vehicle, or spread teh remaining payment over time. Or give it back no questions asked, BUT you will lose your money paid in installments and the deposit.

So the best thing to do is to trade your used mercedes for a new one after three years and using the final value as a deposit and doing the process all over again.

Tricks is (don't tell dealer this) Specify everythign on the list of optional equipment and choose models with high resale value liek the new AMG's and newer models etc. and they will hold value well = less monthly payments!

do you get it?
NO? please refer to dealer, he may be able to clarify
Old 12-23-2002, 04:24 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Well, yes thanks, I do get it, but I usually save up and pay cash for my cars. That way I get a discount (and it doesn't cost me 13% APR a year extra, although rates here are 7.7%), and spec it carefully to avoid depreciation as much as possible, if at all. This has worked well for me over the years.

In this scenario it probably saves me 30 - 40% of the value of the car compared to lease finance. For example, drove an SLK for 15 months, and then made £3,000 profit. Makes it cheap motoring, (and we are very tight people!)

Thank you for replying, tho.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:47 AM
Bilal

Sure man NP, its your car and your money

cash is good and you are right, WE ARE VERY TIGHT PEOPLE!

I mean petrol,insurance,tax, how could you possibly not be tight???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: First roadtest of SL350....