SL/R230: SL500 sitting funny sometimes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
SL500 sitting funny sometimes

I've noticed that sometimes the front left of my car sits lower then the front right, and the rear left sits lower then the rear right. It doesn't happen always and it varies as to what degree the difference is and which of the corners on the left side (wheter front or rear or both) is down, but it happens when the car's been sitting for a while ussually....I remmember seeing the rear left corner very low (hardly any wheel well gap, almost like the suspension collapsed on that corner) a couple of times when the car was on the driveway...which I don't think is completely level and it's on a slight incline as well.

This happens when the car has been sitting for a couple of days or maybe it's sitting on the driveway for a while...does this uneven lowering awkward stance occur due to non-level surfaces and how the car is parked on them? Is something wrong with the car? any input/advice? When I turn the car on and back out of the garage or driveway it will raise the front left corner back up or the rear left, or both depending on how low each was respectively an it does this quickly...the right side of the car seems to be fairly consistant when driven and when parked, even for a few days at a time...

thanks for the help
Old 07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
someone must know what's going on here...yesterday I noticed the front left corner level was very low; when I turned the car onit gave me a bright Red warning..."Car too Low" on the left guage display ...then ABC something or another on the other guage display next to it.

what's happening with this?...what can be done about it? I was thinking about having the car lowered all around a little through STAR Diagnostic/dealer system or by using adjustable lowering links but how will that effect the issue I'm currently having?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Your car probably has a leaking control valve block in the ABC system. This can be due to a defect in the valve block or contamination in the hydraulic fluid. To correct the problem the ABC fluid should be flushed; and if this does not solve the problem, then the valve block needs to be replaced.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Update...just got it back from the dealer yesterday...they flushed the ABC fluid with fresh fluid and changed the filter, then did a diagnostic and performance test on all four corners on a shock machine (whole thing was $700 parts and labor...did I get repped off?? ) ...anyway my service writer told me to observe it for a while and if I got the warning again or had any more issues, then they'd replace the valve blocks (he said there's 2, one for in the front and one in the rear) to the tune of like $2,700
Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
WOW

Considering the car was sitting funny,

You should have just told the car to straighten up and get serious.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Almost a Member!

SL 500
Talking

Originally Posted by StephenK

LOL
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by StephenK

I told it to straighten up and get serious but it wouldn't listen...darn thing insisted it needed to go to the dealer and find out what was going on...
Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I know I sit funny when I drink too much.