SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL500 Stuck in park

Old 06-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
Sounds like removal of this lever isn't bad preventative maintainence for those of us that haven't had this problem yet. If anyone is willing to post pics or a shorty set of instructions, I'll take a go.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63 COUPE
Sounds like removal of this lever isn't bad preventative maintainence for those of us that haven't had this problem yet. If anyone is willing to post pics or a shorty set of instructions, I'll take a go.

+1 exactly what i was thinking
Old 06-14-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL350 Sports
Centre console remove

Hi, I have a SL350 with the same stuck in Park problem. My local Mercedes dealer wants to charge a small fortune to fix it. They started by saying they would change the brake light switch and then if that does not fix it will need the car for a day to change the gearshift module.I am old school, you replace the faulty part only not change/try different parts till its fixed. I have tested the brake switch all is in order. I can feel the solenoid click when I depress the brake pedal. After several attempts I got the lever out of Park. So now to fix the problem.
I assume the fault is going to be the plastic lever that breaks and jams the lever. Looking at the centre console it looks a right job to remove. I found some great pictures on how to remove the gear shift knob and centre console on this URL. http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/for...sts=23&start=1, If you have the confidence to tackle this job then you will find this very useful. I am going to give it a go. The hard bit is getting the gear shift into N or D. The hit it hard seems to work. Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
No need to tow for this problem.. there is a maual over ride to get it out of park...someone hinted on it before.. But first alittle back round of why mercedes did this trust me it wasnt to **** everone off. All the big body cars S220 CL215 SL230 dont have steering lock (you guys probably noticed you can turn the steering wheel of the car without the key in) for this reason they had to hinder theft by making it difficult to get the car in to D or N.
The reason it cost a small fortune to fix at the dealer is cause you have to by a new shifter
that part that breaks isnt avaliable through mercedes.. at my dealer we do the job for 2.5 diag/fix with is under waranty time to help our cust. Now to the over ride PLEASE BE CAREFUL when trying this. NEVER,NEVER do this with the key in the ignition or with the car running your air bags can and will blow off. Your srs control module is right in front of the shifter and the mercury switch in it is highly sensitive... All you do is remove your shifter with leather boot to expose the metal shifter.. get a decent size dead blow hammer and apply some pressure to the rod( motion like you were taking it out of park ) and at the same time hit the top of the shifter. What this does is pops the pawl out of the way.

BE VERY CAREFULL
you can try this on any shifter it dosent have to be broken.. it dosent harm the shifter in any way just do go crazy when hitting the shifter

GOOD LUCK
The following users liked this post:
rmyrie (06-05-2019)
Old 06-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
I had a very similar but more interesting problem recently with this issue. I was in the mountains 200 miles from a dealership. I started my car with my smartcard as usual. Went to put it in reverse but the lever would not move. Instrument display indicated the car was in reverse which it was not. I could not turn the car off because the instrument clusted kept telling me to put it into park which it was alread in! Can't turn the car off or take it out of park. Called MB tech and they say they never heard of this problem. Called the to truck and they said they couldn't tow the car with it running! So... I locate the relay for the fuel pump behind the seat and pull it. The car runs for 5-10 minutes then finally dies. While waiting for the tow truck and the ignition stuck on I decide to disconnnect the battery in the trunk to avert another problem of a dead battery. I disconnect it and just for laughs I reconnect it 5 minutes later. All the electronics apparantly reset INCLUDING the shift problem. Car comes out of park and I am able to drive and use the car fine since then. Saved me $350 in tow, $300 in rental fees, Unknow repair costs (they probably would have done the same thing at the dealer) and my 3 day vacation away.
Glenn
Old 06-25-2009, 11:48 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by glennbaz
I disconnect it and just for laughs I reconnect it 5 minutes later. All the electronics apparantly reset INCLUDING the shift problem. Car comes out of park and I am able to drive and use the car fine since then.
I'm still looking on the car for a pin-sized hole with the word "RESET" stamped underneath it. Every computer needs a way to do a hard reboot.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
Originally Posted by glennbaz
I had a very similar but more interesting problem recently with this issue. I was in the mountains 200 miles from a dealership. I started my car with my smartcard as usual. Went to put it in reverse but the lever would not move. Instrument display indicated the car was in reverse which it was not. I could not turn the car off because the instrument clusted kept telling me to put it into park which it was alread in! Can't turn the car off or take it out of park. Called MB tech and they say they never heard of this problem. Called the to truck and they said they couldn't tow the car with it running! So... I locate the relay for the fuel pump behind the seat and pull it. The car runs for 5-10 minutes then finally dies. While waiting for the tow truck and the ignition stuck on I decide to disconnnect the battery in the trunk to avert another problem of a dead battery. I disconnect it and just for laughs I reconnect it 5 minutes later. All the electronics apparantly reset INCLUDING the shift problem. Car comes out of park and I am able to drive and use the car fine since then. Saved me $350 in tow, $300 in rental fees, Unknow repair costs (they probably would have done the same thing at the dealer) and my 3 day vacation away.
Glenn

This is a whole diffrent problem... there is a dtb on this issue of it not turning off...
Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 PM

14SLK350Desino&14M5CP
My 04 sl55's gear is stuck in park. The lever won't come out of P no matter what even with the hammer, and to cut the lever will be probably my last option as I will destory the keyless Go feature, is there any other way to engage the lock with a pick or anything? Please Help.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM

05 Iridium/Charcoal SL600
Good point...if you have Keyless Go, is it still possible to remove the shift knob & bang on the top of the shaft with a hammer? Sounds like that would ruin whatever connectors are there for the Keyless Go button.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:25 PM

2003 SL500, 2005 CLK55
I am stuck in park too. I can get the shift boot out but i cannot find the part where it's stuck.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230...ory-r230s.html

post #3, click pdf.

good luck

also consider http://www.monoglobal.com.au/home for the gear selector level
Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 AM

2003 SL500, 2005 CLK55
got it fixed. costed me almost $500 just to get that gear selecter lever replaced. piece of crap plastic lever.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 PM

non
IF I remove the plastic crappy piece, do I have to replace it with something else, or could I just leave it and the car would still be able to function?

I heard it prevents the car from going into park while driving.

Last edited by Bam Bam; 01-29-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:00 AM

2003 SL500, 2005 CLK55
The mechanic replaced mine with a aluminum one that he ordered from ebay. You can buy it on ebay for $255 and next day shipping is included.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550 , S430
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsxUFVtdPHk

this is for S430, NOT SL, but it may help as reference
Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
My father is now having the same issue on his sl500 r230. I have gotten up to the step of removing the entire center console cover. Now does anyone have a DIY or any pictures to assist me on which part needs to be replaced and/or removed. As I have read, even the aluminum ones will need replacement in 5-7 years, so he is heavily considering taking the mechanism out altogether to eliminate the need to ever do this again. There will never be a kid in the car and he is the sole driver. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 AM

2003 SL500, 2005 CLK55
I think it's alot of work because when I took it to the mechanic he charged me a bit just to put that lever in.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Ok, I am down to the part where I pretty much have the shifter out of the car. BUT I can't figure out how to release the shifter from the transmission cable linkage... If anyone can please give me instructions or point me to a solution I would GREATLY appreciate it!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:08 PM

sl500
Originally Posted by jctevere
Ok, I am down to the part where I pretty much have the shifter out of the car. BUT I can't figure out how to release the shifter from the transmission cable linkage... If anyone can please give me instructions or point me to a solution I would GREATLY appreciate it!
I am at this point too. I removed all three screws for the shifter so the only thing keeping the shifter from coming out is the damn linkage/lever. How do I get it out?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 PM

sl500
Originally Posted by epmills
I know you already have this done, but for future reference for others... Use a hammer. Take the shift knob off of the metal rod, then pull back on it just as if you were normally taking it out of park, just pull back harder-and press on the brake pedal. While pulling, smack the rod right on top with a hammer, usually multiple times. Dont worry about breaking something, its already broken. A good smack and pulling on the lever will pop it out of park 99% of the time.
I had to use a 30+ lb block of steel to get my shifter out of park. I wacked the top of the shifter while my brother pulled back on the shifter. It finally came out of park so I could take the center console out.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 PM

sl500
Originally Posted by jctevere
You have to lift the car so you can get under it. Make sure to use jack stands. You will have to follow the aluminum looking rod (I can't remember what material it was) which will be on the driver side of the car. Now follow it to where the shifter is. You might have to remove a metal bracket that has 4 bolts to see where the metal rod connects to the shifter. Once you can see this area you can pop the two pieces apart. I think there might be an e-clip of some sort connecting the two. once the two are not connected anymore you can take the shifter out.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 S500
http://www.monoglobal.com.au/

I have all the levers in stock and ship daily.
Repair your ESM lever properly - do not just remove your broken part because your car can be then released from park by children in the car - it's no good if your car rolls down the hill with the kids in it.......

Exclusive offer for mbworld readers - Mention mbworld with your order and I will include 3 day express shipping with TNT for FREE

Easy to fit by DIY'er or MBZ workshops.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM

1993 500 sl
Question 1993 500sl

It seem I have a similar problem except my shifter is stuck in park but my transmission is still in drive so I can't start my car. Does anyone know what caused this? I was driving the car and when I pulled into my driveway this just happened
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 SL500 // 2015 S550
As a follow-up to the above posts, just curious as to who here has gone the preventative maintenance route and replaced this part before it breaks, leaving the shifter stuck. Based on this thread, the replacement seems pretty straight forward if your shifter is still working and can placed into neutral.

Has anyone switched this out as a matter of preventive maintenance?

Funny- I just got my SL, and on a few occasions have experienced difficulty taking it out of park, and until reading this thread I've dismissed the thought of a potential problem.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 PM

07 E550, 04 SL600, 99 ML320
Based on cost, I would do it in this order to see if the issue is resolved.
(1) Replace brake light switch (cheap part that is easy to install - why not?)
(2) Replace aux battery (causes solenoid to stick, relatively cheap preventive maintenance based on varying battery life)
(3) Replace shift selector plate (cheaper than entire shifter)
~ available on eBay

A temp fix: put your hand on top of the shifter, hit hand with your opposite fist while pulling the shifter back (avoid using the mallet technique for safety). Depending on the condition of the selector plate, this should work for a while. I am surprised anybody gets stuck since it is only the plate that causes the issue. If the shifter assembly is bad, you usually cannot put it in any gear. Mercedes replaces the entire shifter since I do not think they carry the repair kit.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: SL500 Stuck in park