SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Well finally broke down and made the move...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well finally broke down and made the move...

I was thinking about getting an SL55 for the longest time. After all the BS going around with dealer markups and ebay scams , I got fed up, and just got turned off from the whole search. Dealers will put few hundred miles on the car and then sell it as used so they can mark it up...in some cases upto 50k. The car is nice, but it is no ENZO. Whatever happened to the days, where the customer gets to haggle and win the negotiations. Oh well.

A friend of mine hooked me up with a dealer in Chicago, and from their service and sales help, and of course the car itself, I was sold on settling for the SL500. I really shouldn't say "settling," as i'm overly impressed with the car and its features. The car is fast enough for daily driving. Since my other car was a 600HP 911 turbo, I figured what the hell, I don't two super fast cars. My self given Xmas gift is a SL500 in Pewter, with panorama roof, bi xenons, vented seats, wood package, sport package, keyless go (which is fantastic,) park distance, and a couple of other options I can't remember. Thanks to the forum, seeing other happy owners. Here's a couple of pics, i'll take better ones in sunlight.

One of the things I am dissapointed with is the sound system. Its only "OK." Was wondering what sound upgrades are out there, with minimal modifications to the car. Anyone put rear speaekers, or additional subs??

Last edited by SL Shank; 12-24-2002 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Nice. Looking forward to seeing some pictures in the sunlight. I really am interested to see what pewter looks like as I have not seen the color in person yet.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by awiner
Nice. Looking forward to seeing some pictures in the sunlight. I really am interested to see what pewter looks like as I have not seen the color in person yet.
It looks very close to silver, but changes in different lighting. I like it!
Old 12-25-2002, 09:04 AM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
Congrats, nice to wake up to every morning with a choice like u have, hmmm which car to drive?
Old 12-25-2002, 02:21 PM

Ok, I take back what I said about the stereo being just "ok." Its actually great. Equal to the Porsche Bose, perhaps little bit better. Onscreen, I was fiddling with the "ambient" setting, and there was 3 check boxes - small, medium, and large room settings. When I selected medium, and large, the rear speakers kicked in and so did the subwoofer. Fiona Apple sounds real nice now.
Old 12-25-2002, 06:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
do you listen to rap also or techno? most of that kidna music really really takes advantage of that kinda music!

btw.. great choice of cars there!