SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Need help removing trunk brake light assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL500 & 2008 GL450
Need help removing trunk brake light assembly

I've searched all over and could not find instruction to remove/replace the middle brake light on the trunk area. I have an '04 and want to change both the L/R brake lgihts, as well as the middle one.

I've found instruction to change the L/R units. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by tnguyenmdc
I've searched all over and could not find instruction to remove/replace the middle brake light on the trunk area. I have an '04 and want to change both the L/R brake lgihts, as well as the middle one.

I've found instruction to change the L/R units. Thank you in advance.
It is pretty easy. Remove the plastic trim that is around the trunk latch. I don't remember the size but it is a torq bit. Once this is off pop the under trunk liner off. It is attached at a number of points to the trunk lid. As you move around the liner you will be able to feel where it is attached. All that you have to do is pull the liner away from the trunk and it will pop loose. When this is done you will be able to feel where the light is. To make it easy on yourself there is a cable that runs close to the light. Remove the nut that holds the cable on to give yourself room to work. There are 2 10mm nuts that hold the light in. Remove them and then remove the bracket that keeps the light tight. You can then pull the old light out of the car. Do it from the ouside of the trunk, pull the light out, unplug the connectors, plug the connectors to the new light and reverse the steps to install the new light.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:51 PM

2004 SL500 & 2008 GL450
Originally Posted by lkirchner
It is pretty easy. Remove the plastic trim that is around the trunk latch. I don't remember the size but it is a torq bit. Once this is off pop the under trunk liner off. It is attached at a number of points to the trunk lid. As you move around the liner you will be able to feel where it is attached. All that you have to do is pull the liner away from the trunk and it will pop loose. When this is done you will be able to feel where the light is. To make it easy on yourself there is a cable that runs close to the light. Remove the nut that holds the cable on to give yourself room to work. There are 2 10mm nuts that hold the light in. Remove them and then remove the bracket that keeps the light tight. You can then pull the old light out of the car. Do it from the ouside of the trunk, pull the light out, unplug the connectors, plug the connectors to the new light and reverse the steps to install the new light.

Thank you. Will give it a try...