SL/R230: keyless go failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
keyless go failure

Has anyone had any problems with their keyless go - like one where it completely ignores keyless go card until the normal key is used, then all is fine again ?

R
Old 01-06-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
Have the car since saturday and have only used the keyless go, so far no problems.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Saw your earlier post and am sorry to hear that the issue isn't resolved yet

I have no problems with mine (SL55), but used to have a similar issue on the older remote control keys when the batteries were intermittent and the key had to be "resynchronized" to the changing anti-theft code. That had to be done by using the physical key at that time.

It may be possible that when you have the card in the pocket or wallet and it's bend that either the batteries lose contact or the battery compartment opens a bit. Did you also change batteries yet?

Just a shot in the dark... Good luck!

Wolfman
Old 01-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 (New 2002 Shape)
Richard,

My Keyless GO does the same thing from time to time.

On my first service )I spoke to the dealer, they said it is normal in some areas due to Radio Wave Interferance. ie. near airports and hospitals etc.

In the handbook it does tell you to always take the normal key aswell.

All the best

Philip

SL 500 New 2002 Shape
Old 01-16-2003, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Id argue stronly with my dealer if I were you.

This has happened to me in my drive, and at my colleagues house. The only radio waves near me are
GSM
Wireless LAN

Not near an airport etc - and the fact that using the key then makes it work *immediately* (and that if you leave it for hours it still wont work) - suggests its not a local radio source and in fact that the control unit is locking up for some reason

Im waiting for it to lock me out again - then its back to the dealer !

Theres some rumour that the keyless go "card" electronics is being intergated into the key, so you dont have to carry both :-)

Cheers
R
Old 01-16-2003, 06:02 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 (New 2002 Shape)
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. My Dad also has a new shape SL500 and that also some times plays up.

My dealer said on the new E Class the keyless go and key are together and in the future he is sure the SL will change.

My car is going back on the 3rd of Feb as the boot leaks water pretty badly. Its made my maps go damp and mouldy.

Other than that, I love the car it's brilliant

regards,
Philip
Old 01-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Richard,

Does this problem actually occur with either key card? I assume you also received two when buying the car.

If so just use the other card for an extended period of time and see if the problem persist (maybe I am stating the obvious).

You also spoke about a wireless Lan (which is a 2.4ghz 802.11b in the house I assume?). I have the same, including extenders with zero interference...

By the way, integrating the smart key with the key card is a step back in my opinion, because I don't want to carry the key in my pocket.

In the US, every Mercedes now has Teleaid with emergency, SOS and info services by default (no charge with 1 year of online services), including remote car unlocking function. Is that the same in the UK?

Wolfman
Old 01-16-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
That sucks to hear that keyless go has so many problems.
If the manual says that you should carry both the card and key, then I don't think it's a step backwards to integrate them both into just the key. Even tho you have to carry the key, you don't need to physically take it out. You can just leave them with your home or office keys, etc.

One question... what would happen if you got in, turned the car on, then let someone else drive off with it? Will they not be able to start the car later?
Old 01-17-2003, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by ///MB
That sucks to hear that keyless go has so many problems.
If the manual says that you should carry both the card and key, then I don't think it's a step backwards to integrate them both into just the key. Even tho you have to carry the key, you don't need to physically take it out. You can just leave them with your home or office keys, etc.

One question... what would happen if you got in, turned the car on, then let someone else drive off with it? Will they not be able to start the car later?
I have not heard of a "lot" of keyless go problems and think that it's one of the most useful options. Many friends of mine have it as well and love it.

Btw, if I would have actually followed the manual, then I should have also carried the backup key of my smart key (CL). Slight overkill...and I carry too many keys already. The only disadvantage is, however, when valet parking the car.

Regarding your queston, there is no default cut-off so once its running you can drive as long as you want, but will not be able to start it again.

I heard something about the ability to limit that time via programing, but doubt it as this could result into serious accident and potential litigation.

Litigation risk ultimately delayed the US introduction of keyless-go for three years. The option was actually already available in Europe on some 1999 models (in the US for 2001 models).

Wolfman
Old 01-17-2003, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
My car has a hidden switch which will stop the engine 1 minute after being activated, so any potential car-jackers will not get far.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi,
Ive changed the batteries in keycard "A", and waiting for it to fail - if it does, I will switch to keycard "B"

Yup, WLAN is 802.11b, and is at mine and my colleagues houses (which is why I mentioned it)

I was quite happy with the concept of combined key and card, I always carry the key somewhere now (in pocket or briefcase) in anycase.

I once got out of the car (with the card) and let my wife drive away - apparently the dash said "no key card" - and then she turned round and found me again to get the keycard - Once she turned off the engine, she couldnt start it again without the card or keys.

We dont get Teleaid here in the UK - only in USA and Germany I think ...

BlueSL - who makes your switch thing ??

Cheers
R
Old 01-17-2003, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I do - it's my own design!!

Basically it's a relay buried in the fuse box which is "normally closed" so not affecting anything. Activating it via the hidden switch starts a timer running which energises the relay and interrupts the supply to the fuel pump when it expires.

Can only be reset using a separate RF coded key, not by disconnecting the battery. It remembers its "tripped" state even if the battery goes flat. Uses a microprocessor (BASIC STAMP) and NV RAM.

BTW what make of WLAN base station do you guys use? I tried 3 COM and it was pathetic.

Last edited by blueSL; 01-17-2003 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by blueSL

BTW what make of WLAN base station do you guys use? I tried 3 COM and it was pathetic.

Aha, you should market that.

I use Cisco base stations with cisco pcmcia clients, Sony with built in wlan clients, and Air station clients - all works very nicely

I once tried Compaq, it was not good - the client cards seemed not to receive well against a Cisco base station and Cisco clients against compaq base didnt seem to be as good as Cisco . I also have "Air station", which again seemed to work well.

R
Old 01-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by blueSL

Btw, I agree with Richard on the switch. Sounds like a cool idea.

In the US you have Teleaid, which includes GPS-based theft tracking. You just call them up, tell them it's stolen and they direct the police to the GPS coordinates of the car (at least in theory; never heard of anyone actually using it). Mercedes also has a locator service which tells the owner where the car is located at any given point in time. They did, however, get in trouble (litigation) as some wifes used the service and catch their husbands on their extracuricular activities

About the LAN, I use Macintosh powerbooks and the occasional IBM laptop (Windows 2000) and run a roaming network with Apple Airport and Netgear base stations as well as a Dr. Bott Omni-directional Antenna. Works reasonably well, but I am now switching to new stations (Apple Airport Extreme 802.11g which is five times as fast and compatible with the old "b" standard). I will use Apple because they are PC compatible and are the only ones to include a USB-based print server)

Wolfman
Old 01-20-2003, 05:12 PM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Originally posted by Richard
Hi,
Ive changed the batteries in keycard "A", and waiting for it to fail - if it does, I will switch to keycard "B"

Yup, WLAN is 802.11b, and is at mine and my colleagues houses (which is why I mentioned it)

I was quite happy with the concept of combined key and card, I always carry the key somewhere now (in pocket or briefcase) in anycase.

I once got out of the car (with the card) and let my wife drive away - apparently the dash said "no key card" - and then she turned round and found me again to get the keycard - Once she turned off the engine, she couldnt start it again without the card or keys.

We dont get Teleaid here in the UK - only in USA and Germany I think ...

BlueSL - who makes your switch thing ??

Cheers
R

I have keyless go card in my 2003 S class. Sometimes, doesn´t work good, and need try several times to open. I discovered that if i push the button of the boot lid works ok. In my last 2001 S class, my dealer changed all the keyless go system out of waranty.
Do you think if it is possible to order a keyless go key instead keyless go card for my car? I know that in the new sl350 2003 i ordered has keyless go key instead card