SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Hardwire of Valentine One R230 2003

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Hardwire of Valentine One R230 2003

I finally took the bull by the horns and hardwired my V-1 in my 2003 R230.

Here are photos of the install along with a hand drawn picture ( sorry I'm no artist ) that shows what connections you can use and where.

You will have to remove the panel below the glove box to run the wires from the fuse box to your V-1 connector barrel. I used some Velcro to hold the V-1 barrel to upper outer part of the box.

This install allows you to put the V-1 wire barrel connection out of the way but still have access to the inline fuse. I simply used a teflon squeegee, like I use for installing clear bras, to push the flat phone type wire up the "A" pillar and across the windshield.

Hope this helps someone.

J Tinsby
Attached Thumbnails Hardwire of Valentine One R230 2003-fuse-box.jpg   Hardwire of Valentine One R230 2003-v-1-connection-01.jpg   Hardwire of Valentine One R230 2003-v-1-windshield-medium-.jpg   Hardwire of Valentine One R230 2003-wscan21-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by J Tinsby; 10-16-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 AM

2015 ML350
just what i needed....was going to wire it this weekend but can you provide a little more detailed write up and i just can't tell anything from your hand drawn pic...thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
When I wired my SL55, I just tapped into a keyed hot wire under the dash. I then fed the V1 wire up through the A pillar, under the head liner and then out so I could mount it to the visor.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:01 PM

2003 SL500
Thumbs up Revised

Originally Posted by vpr80
just what i needed....was going to wire it this weekend but can you provide a little more detailed write up and i just can't tell anything from your hand drawn pic...thanks

Hello,

I edited the drawing and added more detail to it, hopefully this will be helpful to you.

Understand that there are many ways to wire in ANY radar detector/locator not just the one I used. However this was easiest for me because I didn't have to spend a lot of time twisting around under the dash. I have had two spinal fusions and am not as flexible as I once was. I wanted easy access to the V-1 inline fuse, connecting it to another heavier fuse will surely blow out the V-1 if something goes wrong, it's never happened to me and I have 2 of them. But better safe than sorry, V-1's use of phone cable makes it almost impossible to do this anyway the wires are too small.

If the relay that is missing from my drawing is present in your car then you will have to use the one side of the missing fuse to power the V-1 on and off with the key. But when I do that it drives my V-1 nuts so I end up shutting it off and turning it on again anyway that's why I opted to use the one that is ON all the time. I do risk running the batteries down this way but I don't always use the V-1 except when I am on the highway.It might be helpful to go to your parts store and get a 12v test light to find what's has power and when, or a voltmeter if you have one.

Our local police in Pa. can't have radar just the State Police use it.

The locals are relegated to use Vascar, ACCUTRACK or ENRADD or variations thereof and I question their honesty using those!!!

Good luck with the install!

J T

Last edited by J Tinsby; 10-16-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 (SL550); 2009 SL550 (sold); '05 SL500 (sold)
I had my Valentine wired directly to the battery and have noticed that at start-up sometimes, the Valentine and certain other of the car's functions (e.g., wipers, radio, auto headlight) don't work. Then, after anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes, all functions will power-up. One thought I had is the battery is wearing down and needs to re-charge after running for awhile. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:30 PM

2003 SL500
No trouble like that here

Originally Posted by HSESL500MB
I had my Valentine wired directly to the battery and have noticed that at start-up sometimes, the Valentine and certain other of the car's functions (e.g., wipers, radio, auto headlight) don't work. Then, after anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes, all functions will power-up. One thought I had is the battery is wearing down and needs to re-charge after running for awhile. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks.

Hello,

I have never seen this behavior on my car.

But having the V-1 turned on and plugged into the cigarette lighter then starting the car would make the V-1 go nuts for about 10 seconds. That's why I opted to wire it in so it has power all the time, BUT I have to be careful to shut it off when I get out of the car or I'll have a dead battery.

J T