SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: How expensive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Bmw x5
How expensive

I am looking at an 05 SL 500 white/berry sport, pano,seats with 20k miles. Priced at 42k. I have been reading some of these posts and am a little concerned about the repair issues. How reliably and what are the true costs in owning this car.

I own 03 bmw x5, 04 bmw 330ci, 04 acura tl and 00 subaru outback limited,these cars have been very reliably and economical to own. I want to repalce the x5 and subaru but then need to rely on the SL for every day driving.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 PM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
It can be pretty expensive to maintain the suspensions on these things.
The ABC suspensions seem to break needs to be replaced at least once.
The ABC pump is famous for breaking too.

Without warranty, one of these jobs can cost around 3000 to fix.

Oh, and dont get discouraged by smart assess saying "if you cant afford to fix one, you cant afford to own one."
Old 10-29-2008, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cobalt 360
I am looking at an 05 SL 500 white/berry sport, pano,seats with 20k miles. Priced at 42k. I have been reading some of these posts and am a little concerned about the repair issues. How reliably and what are the true costs in owning this car.

I own 03 bmw x5, 04 bmw 330ci, 04 acura tl and 00 subaru outback limited,these cars have been very reliably and economical to own. I want to repalce the x5 and subaru but then need to rely on the SL for every day driving.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Why are you worried, the car you are looking at should still be under warranty and you can buy an extra 3 years up to 100k mile full coverage directly from MB, and then you are completely covered until about 2012.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Why are you worried, the car you are looking at should still be under warranty and you can buy an extra 3 years up to 100k mile full coverage directly from MB, and then you are completely covered until about 2012.
only the original owner can do this unless this car is CPO'ed by a MB dealer.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:08 AM

03 Bmw x5
This car is not CPO, does that mean the Mercedes warranty does not transfer? Are there any extended warranties that i can purchase?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SL2003driver
only the original owner can do this unless this car is CPO'ed by a MB dealer.
I was under the impression that an extended warranty could be purchased as long as the car is still under the original warranty, no matter if it the original owner.

Even if there is this restriction, the current (original) owner could purchase the extended warranty (at your cost) and it would transfer to you.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I was under the impression that an extended warranty could be purchased as long as the car is still under the original warranty, no matter if it the original owner.

Even if there is this restriction, the current (original) owner could purchase the extended warranty (at your cost) and it would transfer to you.
I would confirm all this with a dealer but yes your original remaining warranty will transfer. If who you are buying from is the original owner they can extend the factory warranty up to 3 more years and or 100K miles whichever comes first and then I think they can transfer this to an individual but not to a dealer.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:23 PM

2003 SL500
ABC cost

I just noticed that my ABC pump was leaking and took it by the MB dealer for estimate. If it is leaking from the back of the pump, it is a simple $7 seal. If it is leaking from the front of the pump (behind the pulley) it is a new $900 pump. Either way, the labor to pull it for both scenarios is $800. Unforunately I just bought the car used and no warranty was available.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:54 AM

CL55
Help on ABC

I was getting a Visit workshop warning message every once and a while on my 2003 CL55. I took it into the shop and they changed a the aluminum block with the large accumulator on it. It was fine for about a week, now I get the Red Drive carefully warning light that comes on constantly. The ride height is high without any sags or leakage, I don't see any leaks on the ground. But it will not adjust when you select different ride heights. Can this be a calibration issue, the shops say I may need a pump. I was looking for a second opinion.

Help
Old 11-13-2008, 01:59 AM

03 sl 50
I had the same problem..you have to replace the abc pump unfortunately. I found an oem pump online for 50% less than the dealer
Old 11-13-2008, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216
Originally Posted by beaconcl55
I was getting a Visit workshop warning message every once and a while on my 2003 CL55. I took it into the shop and they changed a the aluminum block with the large accumulator on it. It was fine for about a week, now I get the Red Drive carefully warning light that comes on constantly. The ride height is high without any sags or leakage, I don't see any leaks on the ground. But it will not adjust when you select different ride heights. Can this be a calibration issue, the shops say I may need a pump. I was looking for a second opinion.

Help
I wonder why they changed the whole block, this will be the one in the front of the wing. There are 2 sensors on the block, one of those valves can leak very slightly giving the visit workshop message now and then.

Have they tried to refit using the old valve ??? I do not see how it could be the pump if its at the correct height and not leaking,,sure when ever there is a message in the dash about ABC the height adjustment will do nothing.

The RED dash is a warning that the car is too low, messages in white are not and often re set by turning off and on the engine.

When I turn on my MB computer to night I will look up the list of faults that fit your car