SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC on the SL350.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
ABC on the SL350.....

Two more reviews in EVO and Auto Express raise the issue of ABC.

The feeling I get from the reviews seems to be the SL350 is a very good car - rides better than the SL500 with ABC - both reviews say the SL350 is just as quick too but the ill-matched gearbox lets it down. (Bet they all read one review and say the same thing!) To have the true SL experience, they say, get ABC, but it does ride very well without it.

We've thrashed this topic, but the problem for me and another is firstly the additional cost, and secondly the thought of future problems with what is an extremely complex system. Rover (as BMC) still maintain their downfall was partly due to the reliability of hydro-pneumatic suspension on its cars. Think this MB system is going to be without problems? Reckon the second hand values will be affected by having ABC? Any extras on previous cars you wish you had put on to enhance future values?
Old 01-10-2003, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Well Mustard, you know my opinon, and I've a large block of carbolic for you for lumping Mercedes together with BMC...

Another review by Georg Kacher (who I rate) says the SL350 feels less nose-heavy than the SL500/55 (to be expected given the lighter engine) and he bemoans the lack of ABC in the standard spec.

I don't think you should worry about reliability, you have a 3 year warranty and ABC problems will pale into insignificance if your SBC goes **** up. To be honest though, I don't think lack of ABC is going to impact resale in the future.

Last edited by blueSL; 01-10-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Here in the US Mercedes has at least a 4 year warranty which certainly helps aleviate some worries.

I have used ABC for about 3 years now (first on a CL500) and it works great. I even had Mercedes lower the CL by about a 3/4" which was done via PC.

The comments I heard from Mercedes techs were that the airmatic suspension would be more vulnerable because the whole cars weight rides on hydraulics whereas the ABC still has steel springs.

I did actually have that problem on a 500SEL that had the hydro-pneumatic suspension and one of the shocks was leaking ($800 to fix).

Wolfman
Old 01-11-2003, 05:45 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by blueSL
Well Mustard, you know my opinon, and I've a large block of carbolic for you for lumping Mercedes together with BMC...

Mouth duly washed out, but overdid the red wine rinse last night......

Not unduly worried about the ABC, just a momentary wobble I needed to express. (tongue in cheek goes here)

Good point about the warranty, and interesting experience of ABC Wolfman. How is it USA gets 4 year warranties AND cheaper cars. The EU has mostly sorted that type of discrimination between nation states, except Mercedes-Benz charges €4750 extra for right-hand drive. There would be uproar if they charged more for selling to the Greeks, or French, (er, or anybody!) but its OK for the Brits to pay more! They even charge other RHD places around the world less than the English pay, thus causing the Brits to subsidise RHD production for far-eastern, antipodean and other countries.

I guess we'll have to wait for the One World Government to end cross-continent discriminatory practices.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:49 AM

BMW 535d Touring
if your SBC goes **** up.
You'd just finished reading the Britney Spears thread, hadn't you......
Old 01-11-2003, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Originally posted by Mustard
You'd just finished reading the Britney Spears thread, hadn't you......

LOL

On another note, i think the SL350 would be popular in HK, the price for a 500 is 1.3+million HKD, i think a 350 would cost around 1.1million. Plus a Kleemann kit and you can really get some speed for a lot less than the V8
Old 01-11-2003, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Mercedes are saying that 1 SL in 2 will an SL350 and I expect they will sell mainly to people for whom ultimate performance is not a top priority. Anyone who is willing to buy a Kleemann conversion will likely start with a V8.

Many people get in a lather about performance on this board and it's that desire to have the biggest/best which keeps people like Brabus and Kleemann in business (and AMG, actually). For the most part though, the performance is just not accessible because the roads do not allow it. Congestion, speed limits, enforcement and not least our own abilities limit the performance we can use.

I value the performance I have in the SL55 but know that I will rarely be able to explore what the car is capable of.

BTW Mustard, Britney doesn't really do it for me, but Kylie or Andrea Corr can come and inspect my supercharger any time they like...
Old 01-11-2003, 01:27 PM

BMW 535d Touring
For the most part though, the performance is just not accessible because the roads do not allow it.
Well said, and probably perfectly true. Sales are a little testo driven, I think. Amazing number of similar and better performance cars in the industry pipeline, too! Its not all useable power, thats for sure.

I just need a smooth & comfortable cruiser. While SWHMO was shopping today I was leaned up at Smith's reading the EVO review again.

The impression I get is that ABC is essential kit to exploit the performance of the V8 SL's. I read that it smooths out potholes as well as prevents pitching and rolling, and a smooth ride is something I like. So SWHMBO arrives and I look at her, (an Andrea Corr look-a-like) and thinking smooth thoughts, decided to get ABC and can the pano roof and holey seats.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:32 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by Tezta
LOL

On another note, i think the SL350 would be popular in HK, the price for a 500 is 1.3+million HKD, i think a 350 would cost around 1.1million. Plus a Kleemann kit and you can really get some speed for a lot less than the V8
Any good roads in Hong Kong? If not, suggest the 350 might be a good compromise.

How much sterling is HK$1.3m? It is RHD too isn't it?
Old 01-11-2003, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Result!

I think you're right to take both the automatic and the ABC... Can't really comment on the pano roof as I do not have it and you may be right dumping the comfort seats - I haven't tried "feeding" them yet.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Any good roads in Hong Kong? If not, suggest the 350 might be a good compromise.

Roads in HK are not the smoothest but they are fun! I was watching some S.E. Asian amateur racing program and noticed that all the top finishers were from HK! Must get a lot of practice on the twisty roads of HK during everyday driving

$1.3million HKD is roughly 100K Pounds.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350

Roads in HK are not the smoothest but they are fun! I was watching some S.E. Asian amateur racing program and noticed that all the top finishers were from HK! Must get a lot of practice on the twisty roads of HK during everyday driving

Yep HK is still RHD, they should change by now, even in the UK LHD is permitted, it would save us a lot of money and get our cars sooner.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350

Roads in HK are not the smoothest but they are fun! I was watching some S.E. Asian amateur racing circuit and noticed that all the top finishers were from HK! Must get a lot of practice on the twisty roads of HK during everyday driving

Yep HK is still RHD, they should change by now, even in the UK LHD is permitted, it would save us a lot of money and get our cars sooner.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350

Roads in HK are not the smoothest but they are fun! I was watching some S.E. Asian amateur racing circuit and noticed that all the top finishers were from HK! Must get a lot of practice on the twisty roads of HK during everyday driving