SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Kleemann Tuning Special @ GMP Peformance!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
I purchased my SL about a month ago, and am researching performance options right now. Would you mind sharing the following information?

What sort of savings does this represent vs. normal price?
What is the performance gain of just doing this mod?
What are the warranty implications?

I'm thinking I may want to swap out the exhaust for an Eisenmann system as well.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by mikeinsf
I purchased my SL about a month ago, and am researching performance options right now. Would you mind sharing the following information?

What sort of savings does this represent vs. normal price?
What is the performance gain of just doing this mod?
What are the warranty implications?

I'm thinking I may want to swap out the exhaust for an Eisenmann system as well.
Normal price is $2995- this represents a 50% savings.
+40 crank HP and TQ
warranty question is always a difficult one to answer. I cannot give you any definitive answer, as it depends greatly on your dealership, the people working at your dealership, and the relationship you have with them. I always recommend speaking with your service advisor prior to doing any aftermarket modifications if warranty issues will be a deal breaker for you. I can tell you, the ONLY "tuner" the factory will honor the warranty for is AMG. Each individual dealership is different though- Many Mercedes-Benz dealers have in-house aftermarket divisions which provide sales and installations of aftermarket parts within the dealership.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:54 PM

SL500
Thanks for the info. I'll be at the dealer this Monday and will ask them about it. I may go forward with this depending on what they tell me.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:12 PM

2003 and 1998 E320
When you replace the headers does the exhaust become the restriction at that point. What is gained by replacing the exhaust as well.

I don't want to move one restriction to another area
Old 01-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Robertpel99
When you replace the headers does the exhaust become the restriction at that point. What is gained by replacing the exhaust as well.

I don't want to move one restriction to another area
If we're talking about an SL55, the pipe diameter from the factory is 65mm after the factory downpipe/cat. KLEEMANN headers use a 65mm diameter collector and downpipe, so these remove the majority of the restriction on the exhaust side. There will almost always be some amount of back pressure in the factory exhaust, but in my experience, replacing the entire exhaust system won't make a significant difference power wise- 10 HP, 15 at best. The largest restriction in the exhaust system is the factory manifold (42mm collector) and the factory down pipe/cat.

MB uses the same exhaust manifold on both the SL500 and the SL55.