SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: These cars are a target

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Indeed. This one's been beaten to death.

... now if I could only get my hands on that ***** that keyed my car.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:17 PM

SL500
HA! I've been doing internet work for 12 years now, in the tech epicenter, and this is my first encounte with the term "Godwin's Law". I like it.

You learn something new every day.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by Rook3300
@Delorean00, LOL only on a Mercedes board would someone think that a Lexus sedan would bring less class envy than their Mercedes-Benz. If you really want to blend in, just go pick up a used Altima 3.5 SL with leather. They're cheap and still ride/handle quite well and should blend right in to the background as there are a million of 'em (well, the 2.5's that is). Either that, or just go full camo with a Toyota Camry. Ugh, I can't believe I just suggested that.

Rook

Ha, indeed! I guess just here in California I am so use to seeing Lexus vehicles the no longer strike me as something special (we even own one, but its my better half's car).

LoL, full camo in a Camry! I use to joke to my friends that a Camry is a car you buy if you don't want to make waves. I'm sorry I won't be buying a one they are just to sterile me.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:56 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
so if my car was vandalized in a "good" neighborhood with all those "other" good people, who do i blame?
Old 01-31-2009, 02:28 AM

SL500
I'm kinda done hashing this, talk to someone else. Meantime I'm keeping my car outta the ****ty neighborhoods. You can park your car there all you want. Have fun.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Goodness, people are so sensitive. A car could get keyed anywhere, no matter of race, money, etc. it happens. The chances of it happening are greatly reduced in better neighborhoods which also have nothing to do with race or groups either. Let's keep it real.

Sorry that happened to your car, hope it gets fixed soon. A lot of people period are just drinking haterade and really do suck that would do such a thing in the first place.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 AM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
wow some harsh words flying back and forth im sorry to hear about your car

i live just outside of seattle.....a mini SF and whenever i go downtown i always take my truck....because if sht happens to it no big deal

idk if id blame it on any group about your car.....never had my sl or my s500 vandalized but my truck has been broken into three times in 2 years once downtown and twice in good neighborhoods

all i can say is sht happens and people can be *****s but theres nothing i can do about it

o and btw im 22 and i totally understand getting hell about having a nice car.......im young and i happen to be a dark skinned asian man

all i can say is live and learn and move on
Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 PM

SL500
Just dropped off the car at a body shop in San Rafael, CA that was highly recommended by a friend. I parked it right next to a brand new Alfa 8C and Sean Penn's new flat black Shelby. Seems like it's in good hands now.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
OMG, an Alfa 8c? You saw a rare thing my friend as there are only going to be 100 of those coming to the states for 2009.

The list of things I wouldn't do to have one of those is mighty short.

Rook
Old 02-02-2009, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
You do realize it was likely that Sean Penn was the one who keyed your car in the first place.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:41 PM

SL500
Ha!
I think his car was keyed too.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM

2003 SL500
Grrrr....I know how you feel mikeinsf. I just got my car scuffed on the back side by a careless diver earlier today at lunch. I was still eating in the restaurant and 2 guys told me as I was heading to my car. They told me that the driver backed up and just kept going reversing and hit my car and just left w/o stopping. They said that there were scratches on her car. And the whole time they said that she kept looking in her rear view and side view mirrors. How can she not see my car on the other end of the parking lot. Good thing for me there was no dent or scartches on my car, just some scuffs. Hopefully I can just buff it off when I get home from work. It just surprise me how careless and inconsiderate some people can be. Just glad that the 2 people waited for me to get out to let me know since I wouldn't think anybody would hit me since I parked away from everybody and especially like that. Are people that lazy now that they can't get out of a parking space by turning the steering wheel while going reverse instead of reversing all the way back. The other thing is there was no car on her right side so she can easily get out w/o reversing all the way back. Errrr..this just upsets me more thinking about it. Darn Bay Area drivers. J/K. Only a small majority makes it bad, but enough to get you pi$$ed.

That's my rant. Now I'm going to be even more cautious. This sucks. Glad your car is getting fix. Paint job on these cars are pretty hefty.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
I am sick of people *****ing about the economy. The only reason most of these people are in this position is because they buy things they can't afford. If someone ever touched any of my cars because of "class envy" the economy would quickly become the least of their worries.

Definitely sucks about your car. I remember when I put my Lowenharts on my SL ($5k rims) and was SO CAREFUL not to curb rash them, bend them, etc. and was great for about 2 months and then within a few weeks bent the hell out of three of them simply driving on the damn interstate.

Last edited by mjr24; 02-02-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by azndevil67
Glad your car is getting fix. Paint job on these cars are pretty hefty.
Got the estimate... about $5k. Yikes. Good thing I've got a small deductible.

Another anecdote about the way people treat me driving this car, it happened to me two nights ago... I was stopped at an intersection with my left indicator on, waiting to turn left behind another car that was also turning left. I had a friend in the passenger seat and we were talking. The top was down. The guy behind me could not get around my right side because there wasn't enough room between my car and another car parallel parked to my right. As the car in front of me edged forward a bit, so did I. The guy behind me could then get by, and as he started to pass me on the right, he conspicuously uttered "a$$hole" out his window. My friend and I looked at each other and said "what was ~that~ for?" It's kinda ridiculous and I know it's not just me, because these sort of incidents happen on a weekly basis (all within SF city limits) since I got the SL. I'm growing a bit of a thick skin and getting accustomed to it, but sheesh. My best friend has started calling it "The Sh*t Magnet". That's ok tho... having other people try to make you feel like crap for doing nothing is a small price to pay for driving such a nice set of wheels. It was just something I never expected, an unintended consequence.

Last edited by mikeinsf; 02-02-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
Originally Posted by mikeinsf
Another anecdote about the way people treat me driving this car
I am so so sad for you. You might think Im picking on you, but PLEASE... STOP! If you drove a Hyundai(sp) Senata you'd get the same treatment. Stop blaming your car for the way people are treating you in the streets. For goodness sake... trade that SL in for something else if you feel that vulnerable.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:07 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by CakeDaddy
I am so so sad for you. You might think Im picking on you, but PLEASE... STOP! If you drove a Hyundai(sp) Senata you'd get the same treatment. Stop blaming your car for the way people are treating you in the streets. For goodness sake... trade that SL in for something else if you feel that vulnerable.
Just sharing observations. If you'd care not to read, then how convenient for you that it means one less mouse click. In your situation, where you live, maybe there's no difference between this car and another. Here in SF, based on my experience, there is. I haven't suddenly developed a neurosis or become an overnight bad driver after ten years of peacefully co-existing.

Last edited by mikeinsf; 02-04-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by mjr24
I am sick of people *****ing about the economy. The only reason most of these people are in this position is because they buy things they can't afford. If someone ever touched any of my cars because of "class envy" the economy would quickly become the least of their worries.

Definitely sucks about your car. I remember when I put my Lowenharts on my SL ($5k rims) and was SO CAREFUL not to curb rash them, bend them, etc. and was great for about 2 months and then within a few weeks bent the hell out of three of them simply driving on the damn interstate.
Seems like a lot of people have trouble with 20's on SL's. Is it that the car is too heavy for them?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:19 PM

2007 SL550
Funny about the bay area vibe -- I live down in Los Angeles, but the car I wanted was in Walnut Creek, on the Oakland side of the bay. Within half an hour of leaving the dealership, I had three Porsches go by me who felt they had something to prove, revving their engines and so on. In the past three weeks I've been back in L.A., I haven't had a single person do that. Strange...
Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 PM

SL500
Yep, my car just came in at $9,000.00 for rock chips!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:44 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by DeLorean00
Yep, my car just came in at $9,000.00 for rock chips!
Yeah, I saved bonuses for years and didn't travel, so I could get the car for cash. And I knew that I'd never see any bonuses or travel after I got it, because they'd all go to taking care of the car!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by mlandis
Yeah, I saved bonuses for years and didn't travel, so I could get the car for cash. And I knew that I'd never see any bonuses or travel after I got it, because they'd all go to taking care of the car! The 2007 SL550 is mine. The boats aren't.
Isn't that the truth. Wait until you buy a boat!

Delorean... My estimate was upwardly adjusted to 6.8k, btw. Add in new headlamps at 1k a pop and fog lamps, and it's easy to see how your quote came in at 9k.

Last edited by mikeinsf; 02-04-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 AM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
delorean i can see the 9k quote...my friend does custom paint work and i guess he said that silver is really hard to match and blend
Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Banned

2003 Mercedes S500 Lorinser
it was def some negger that keyed your car.

I once parked my car at the end of the shopping center no cars near by at least a 500 foot radius.

when i came back the car was keyed from the gas tank to the fender...these people deserve to be sent back in the containers where they came from
Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by S5LorinserF1
it was def some negger that keyed your car.

I once parked my car at the end of the shopping center no cars near by at least a 500 foot radius.

when i came back the car was keyed from the gas tank to the fender...these people deserve to be sent back in the containers where they came from
Why did you even have to go there. People of all races and sexes have keyed cars, and in all socioeconomic circles. A pissed off ex could have keyed your car.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:01 AM
Banned

2003 Mercedes S500 Lorinser
hey mikeinf i got an idea.

since you have no ***** whatsoever and continue to nag and biach how people pick on you when driving.

Go and buy those Fake Nuts you see on trucks that hang from the hitch and attach to the rear of your SL maybe then people will stop bothering you so case closed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: These cars are a target