SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: NEED SOME HELP ON SL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
550 sl
NEED SOME HELP ON SL550

Need some help.... Looking at a 2007 sl550 anniversary edition, Car has 8800 miles on it, 1 year left on regular warranty. Has a additional 3year 50,000 extended warranty through Mercedes Benz, lojack, appears to be in excellent shape. asking $57,000. Been looking at bluebook and can't seem to find out actual worth because don't see anniversary edition listed. This extra was $5100 when new. Tell me your thoughts? what is it worth? is there a cost to transfer warranty or lojack? Am I missing anything? Thank you
Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500 SL
I just went through an extensive search. No one is paying blue book value for any cars these days, want a small example? A local seller was listing his vehicle a 2003 500sl for blue book value, something around $35,000 ish, yet all the cars listed on ebay or autotrader similar to his were around $28,000. The prices on these cars are dropping weekly, considering the economy. I know alot have sat unsold for months. Now, the caveat is the car you are considering is practically brand new, so that commands a premium. Other issues, in scatter form, the warranty is nice but I didn't pay a premium for what was 2 years left on an extended warranty from my seller (transaction completed this week), unless the anniversary is something you must have I wouldn't pay a premium for that--- I am basing this opinion on the fact the Designo launch editions from 2003 had a $7-$10k package that commands no value in the used market and since alot of people think the color is funny these cars are sometimes discounted despite the "fancier leather" etc.

In summation, forget the anniversry as an added value unless only 2-5 of them were made, (haha no way, it's probably just a way to boost profits 2-3 years before a redesign, all car companies do that, in fact maybe Mercedes is copying Corvettes), try to find an exact mileage and year match on ebay or autotrader, see the listed price, then offer 10% below that if it looks like the car has been sitting unsold for a long time.

Warranty transfer cost is $50 industry standard, not that it matters too much but usually the seller pays this. Don't know about LoJack.

Last edited by SL500hunter; 04-07-2009 at 12:57 PM.