SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL500 2004 1-2 jerk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500
SL500 2004 1-2 jerk

I have had jerking issues and stuttering with my SL500 2004, 1st time to the dealer valve body TCU and software were replaced.

I now still have the stuttering issue (when accelerating gently the car feels like there's no power its almost like the tranny is upshifting then downshifting again so power comes back like the feeling of a manual car when not properly driving it).

Dealer told me it should be the Torque converter and having it replaced.

Do you think its the T/Q or could be something else?
After all those repairs may I encounter anything else (dealer is garanteeing tranny for 1 year).

One last question do I need upgrade ECU software since all this tranny work was done and TCU was updated or no need. And about the torque convertor lockup clutch adaptation procedure Dealer says he can't do it since its very time consuming and won't be free to have it done until in like 2 weeks but he said "it should adapt anyway to ur driving and you won't need to have the procedure done" is it true??

Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
Firstly, I would repost this in the R230 forum as the shift issues of the W164 and R230 are different.

Do you have the M113 engine or the M273 engine? The M273 is identifiable by the engine control unit in the center of the engine cover. You most likely have the M113 engine with the 7 Speed transmission. This engine/transmission combination is noticibly less "compatible" for lack of a better word. Basicly they don't seem to communicate as well as the new engines and have some very minor and intermitant slighly harsh shift or not quite the right gear. It is very minor and usually only noticed by owners who "concentrate" on the shifting. If you just drive the car it's almost never noticed.

Having said that, if you can reproduce the fault during a road test with the dealer and it's deemed to be non-std then they can follow normal diagnosis steps. The torque convertor really should be re-adapted before replacing it just to give it another chance to prove itself, but definately they should do it after replacement. The adaption process isn't very hard, but allow about 2000km of various driving after the dealer re-adapts it before starting to determine if it has fixed the fault.

There is unlikely to be any newer software for the engine, but worth checking.
I will repost this as a thread in R230 Forum, meanwhile I got the car back, the stuttering or humming is gone (torque converter was replaced) and this was the issue dealer also said he changed B1 and B2 in tranny (no idea what it means) by the way the engine seems to be M113 because i dont see any control unit in center of engine only air filters

All problems solved tranny is smooth exept for a tiny jerk from 1st till 2nd gear. Dealer said it should get better with time and its a tiny jerk that wont affect or deteriorate tranny. Now I paid 3500$ in repairs and Dealer is giving me a 1year transmission warranty. But I'm still afraid this small 1-2 jerk will wear tranny parts over time and will have to fix in 2 years again. Feedback is greatly appreciated on wether this 1-2 jerk cant really be fixed 100%.

Last edited by tmerhebi; 06-19-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500
Originally Posted by tmerhebi
I have had jerking issues and stuttering with my SL500 2004, 1st time to the dealer valve body TCU and software were replaced.

I now still have the stuttering issue (when accelerating gently the car feels like there's no power its almost like the tranny is upshifting then downshifting again so power comes back like the feeling of a manual car when not properly driving it).

Dealer told me it should be the Torque converter and having it replaced.

Do you think its the T/Q or could be something else?
After all those repairs may I encounter anything else (dealer is garanteeing tranny for 1 year).

One last question do I need upgrade ECU software since all this tranny work was done and TCU was updated or no need. And about the torque convertor lockup clutch adaptation procedure Dealer says he can't do it since its very time consuming and won't be free to have it done until in like 2 weeks but he said "it should adapt anyway to ur driving and you won't need to have the procedure done" is it true??

I will repost this as a thread in R230 Forum, meanwhile I got the car back, the stuttering or humming is gone (torque converter was replaced) and this was the issue dealer also said he changed B1 and B2 in tranny (no idea what it means) by the way the engine seems to be M113 because i dont see any control unit in center of engine only air filters

All problems solved tranny is smooth exept for a tiny jerk from 1st till 2nd gear. Dealer said it should get better with time and its a tiny jerk that wont affect or deteriorate tranny. Now I paid 3500$ in repairs and Dealer is giving me a 1year transmission warranty. But I'm still afraid this small 1-2 jerk will wear tranny parts over time and will have to fix in 2 years again. Feedback is greatly appreciated on wether this 1-2 jerk cant really be fixed 100%.

The jerk is gone, theres still a very tiny one from 2-1 and 1-2 that isnt bothering me at all. Its almost smooth.

But now my problem is dealer changed torque converter (in order to fix the humming or stuttering or jolt - dont know what its called but the thing when u press the accelerator a bit u feel like the car is upshifting right after u press on gas then downshifting with some vibration in between like not properly driving manual).

Now problem has diminished a lot but theres still a bit when going 20-35 mph even 40 when it does it when u apply a bit of gas.

Dealer replaced the torque converter with a used one and didnt do adaptation he said it wont affect my tranny at all since it will adapt to my driving style.

I am stuck and need your input on this shall I take it back what do u think the problem could be?
Can the torque converter that he installed slipping (since its a used one?) or its just an adaptation issue.

UR INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED