Old 06-28-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500
REPLACING THE BLINKER LAMP

Hello,

Someone scrapped their car against mine (2005 SL500) & cracked the clear

plastic cover of the turn signal on the passenger side mirror housing. I bought

the part to replace it which is the whole Blinker Lamp. My question is how do

I remove the mirror housing to replace this part & do I need any special tools.

If anyone has pics w/instructions, that would be great!

Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 11:18 PM

2007 SL550
Someone asked in an earlier post, here was my response:

https://mbworld.org/forums/3562383-post8.html

You'll need a standard Philips screwdriver and a tiny Torx driver -- I think it was T10. It was pretty straightforward, but I didn't think to take pictures as I was doing it. :-/
Old 06-29-2009, 01:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
I just replaced both side-mirror blinkers on my SL500. Takes 5 minutes. Look on Youtube, there's a great video that show's the whole process, very, very simple.

Basically, move the mirror to the extreme corner with the interior control, pop the mirror off the gimbal, remove 3 screws from the gimbal (T10), 3 screws holding mirror housing to internal mount (T10), and slide the mirror off the mount. You can now replace the blinker (#2 Phillips), and reverse the procedure. Easy Peasy.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3UshDV5Qzg
Old 06-29-2009, 08:04 PM

SL 500
Thank you diablo2112, it worked!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:01 PM

2004 R230 SL500, 2005 W203 C350
Originally Posted by diablo2112
I just replaced both side-mirror blinkers on my SL500. Takes 5 minutes. Look on Youtube, there's a great video that show's the whole process, very, very simple.

Basically, move the mirror to the extreme corner with the interior control, pop the mirror off the gimbal, remove 3 screws from the gimbal (T10), 3 screws holding mirror housing to internal mount (T10), and slide the mirror off the mount. You can now replace the blinker (#2 Phillips), and reverse the procedure. Easy Peasy.
Thanks Diablo2122

I was very nervous about prising off the passenger mirror glass off my wife's 2004 r230, but eventually, I plucked up the courage and with some noises like cracks, it did come off. Mine was just held on with plastic clips in the moulding itself.

Once the mirror was loose, unplug the heater element leads and the mirror can be safely removed and put out of the way.

Then, as you say, Torx T10 (3 screws) removed the motor unit, unclip the power lead and you can remove that out of the way. Then you can cleanly access the outer casing screws 3 x Torx T10 and the case will be loose.

Mine didn't come loose straight away, so watching the utube video which shows you how to jiggle the outer case helped.

Once the indicator is replaced, it's a straightforward job to reassemble. I took some time getting the outer shell back on as it would not go directly into the power socket for the indicator....so I took my time, watched the video again and eventually it all slipped into place..you definitely know when it's gone in. My advice is don't rush it and don't force it.

After replacing all the other parts, the mirror just pushed back on with the flat of the Palm.

My wife didn't think I could do it, but with the great advice here on this forum I did, so I am in her good books (for once)!!

Thanks Diablo and mlandis
Old 07-20-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
Originally Posted by brownridge
Thanks Diablo2122

I was very nervous about prising off the passenger mirror glass off my wife's 2004 r230, but eventually, I plucked up the courage and with some noises like cracks, it did come off. Mine was just held on with plastic clips in the moulding itself.

Once the mirror was loose, unplug the heater element leads and the mirror can be safely removed and put out of the way.

Then, as you say, Torx T10 (3 screws) removed the motor unit, unclip the power lead and you can remove that out of the way. Then you can cleanly access the outer casing screws 3 x Torx T10 and the case will be loose.

Mine didn't come loose straight away, so watching the utube video which shows you how to jiggle the outer case helped.

Once the indicator is replaced, it's a straightforward job to reassemble. I took some time getting the outer shell back on as it would not go directly into the power socket for the indicator....so I took my time, watched the video again and eventually it all slipped into place..you definitely know when it's gone in. My advice is don't rush it and don't force it.

After replacing all the other parts, the mirror just pushed back on with the flat of the Palm.

My wife didn't think I could do it, but with the great advice here on this forum I did, so I am in her good books (for once)!!

Thanks Diablo and mlandis
BTW, if any one has a 2003, the lamp is different and just snaps in. You rotate the mirror so it is out as far as possible on the outboard side and you will have access to the plastic snap that holds the light in.